PDA

View Full Version : Ford Taurus SHO

Chazz of Blades
03-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Anybody here have any experience with the SHOs?
I'm looking at getting a 91. They have the Yamaha made 3.0 DOHC motor in them, stock top speed of around 145 mph, 5 speed MTX transmission.

cattle-dog
03-04-2011, 09:32 PM
i have had two 89 sho`s and they are a very cool ride. the factory clutch`s cannot hold up to the engines power. the rest of the car is great, and make sure the recall for the front cradle mounts has been done if it applied to the 91 sho.
and they will get well above 145 mph my brother was ticketed at 152 mph in my black 89 sho.

300rman
03-04-2011, 10:29 PM
The New SHO is a heck of a ride.......twin turbo, 365 HP out of a V6

Chazz of Blades
03-04-2011, 10:58 PM
The brakes on the new SHO's have a nasty habit of bursting into flames though. Just like the the original SHOs, Ford didn't put big enough brakes.

Cumberland BR
03-05-2011, 02:12 AM
I had a chance to drive a SHO just after I got my drivers licence (back in '91). Those things are a blast, they look like a family car but go like stink. Would love to have owned one.

Chazz of Blades
03-05-2011, 04:36 AM
It's going to be my first car actually, it's a 91, oxford white, black leather interior etc. etc.

I might end up having to replace the fuel pump to run it, but the price is wonderful. I'm helping some family remodel a house(2 minutes from me on my 200es), and mowing the grass this summer.

Chazz of Blades
03-05-2011, 04:41 AM
Well, my first Daily Driver car anyway.

z400guy28
03-05-2011, 07:06 PM
My buddie had an SHO with the V8 i want to say it was a 95 and my other buddy with his 90 mustang GT raced each other and the SHO kept right up with the mustang. Both cars were bonestock. Pretty fast cars.

Chazz of Blades
03-05-2011, 07:39 PM
the 3rd gen SHO's were produced from 96-99, and were supposedly not as fast as the first and second gens. When the 92 SHO with the 3.2 came out, it was supposedly more powerful than the 5.0 mustangs.

Chazz of Blades
03-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Hell, even the 91, with a 3.0 V6 has more ponies than the 91 5.0 Stang. Cost a ton more too.

Brockey
03-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Sweet cars. You won't regret it if it's in nice shape. Back in the nights of out driving fast and staying out late my buddies CRX and my other buddies Turbo Dodge Colt were one of the few to keep up with such a car. My poor Sunbird GT 3.1 didn't have a chance. Post pics of the car when you get it.

Jerm1179
03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
i never knew they put a v8 in a taurus..very cool

Chazz of Blades
03-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Yeah, 3rd gen taurii were ugly cars in my opinion, it's when they started that round/oval body style.

The V8 SHO's had a death warrant from the beginning, something along the lines of you HAD to weld your cam, otherwise it'd trash the motor. I'll take some pics tomorrow, I have a couple I could post but they are close ups that I used to tell the year.

Chazz of Blades
04-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Well, unless something happens the SHO is coming home tomorrow. It will need the fuel pump replaced sadly.

Sweet otherwise though.

atcpunk107
04-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Watch the timing belt, they are the biggest pain to change in my opinion. Having to align all 4 cams and the crank shaft. Also the SHO never had more power than a Mustang GT, SHO came with 220HP and 200lb/ft, the 91 GT came with 220HP and 300lb/ft. Even the 3.2L only added 15lb/ft and no HP gains. Don't get me wrong they are a nasty sleeper and if I were to find one in 5 speed I for cheap, I would own it.

Chazz of Blades
04-02-2011, 11:37 AM
0-60 times were better on the SHO, and look at it this way, that 3L V6 put out the same ponies as a 5L V8. And admitedlly a non turbo'd V6 won't have the torque of a V8.

Supposedly the timing belt, alt, water pump, and underpulleys have been replaced, the basics of the 60k tune up.

Thorpe
04-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I know they eat the Auroa 4.0L V8 I had, alive in a race...

Chazz of Blades
04-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm really lucky, I found a car that I'm not paying anything for, just alot of blood sweat and tears, that is still really cool, and cheap on insurance.

Chazz of Blades
04-02-2011, 07:48 PM
It's here!!!!

atcpunk107
04-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Sweet lets see some pics.

Chazz of Blades
04-04-2011, 07:05 PM

Turns out is more special than I thought. It was one of the very last first generation SHOs made, made in June 1991, so it has alot of things that only the second gen was supposed to have, including the 2" fiber glass PowerBulge hood, alluminum slicer wheels, the second gen spoiler, and the second gen carpeting and rear seats. Might even have the rod shifter instead of the cable one, I'm not sure. There's only an estimated 100 something ever made like this.

tecat-z
04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Lots of info on the whole production run of SHO'S at Wikipedia. Breakdowns of generations, engine specs, and things of that nature. The v8 cars were interesting in the sense that Cosworth made the block, and Yamaha made the heads. Always respected the engine in the early models, but never found it possible to get past their strange looks. Up here near Chicago the weather has taken it's tole, and the Taurus is a car that is nearly extinct regardless of gen. I do remember back 8 or so years ago somebody down the road from me had a v8 SHO, the car had a cool sound due to the small disp, high revving nature of it. Haven't seen it in quite some time though.

Chazz of Blades
04-05-2011, 09:41 PM
The 3rd gen SHOs, which are the V8s, had a horrible flaw from the factory. If you didn't weld your camshafts there was a really good chance you'd trash the engine. And even with the V8(only 15 more ponies actually), the 3rd gens still get spanked by the 1st gens. The 91 was supposed to be the king of the SHOs, it was the fastest, and lightest year made. I'm quite proud of it, I'm working 100 hours for some family to pay it off, and all it needs is new battery and a fuel pump.

NINJA
04-07-2011, 04:34 AM
I know ALOT about these cars. I used a 90 SHO for drag racing for 2 years. That was a decade ago but I still remember it like yesterday. In stock form a first gen SHO with an MTX is good for 15.2 in the quarter consistently with a good driver. They are an expensive car to mod for greater performance, but much can be had. They sound very similar to a bullet bike when you put a decent exhaust on them. I was never beaten by a stock 5.0 Mustang GT, ever. The SHO has a very hard launch off the line because it's got all that engine weight over the transaxle. I'd hold her at 4200 rpm for my start.
I eventually built up the engine and drivetrain after many $$ later and my best time ever was a 14.2. Yes my SHO was fast and yes it was worn out when I sold it. I've never ran a car of mine so hard and so relentlessly as I did that one. I do miss it.

NINJA
04-08-2011, 01:10 AM
And yes i got laid in my first car !!! :Bounce:Bounce:Bounce:Bounce:naughty::naughty::p

I've gotten laid in every car and truck I've owned, including one time while driving!:twisted:

As far as the old muscle cars and how fast they were, you might want to research the real world numbers as far as HP and 1/4 times.:rolleyes: Most of them weren't any faster than the fast cars we have now. I'm personally not that big a fan of FWD, but the trap speeds don't lie. They definitely have a traction advantage. I love RWD, it's the most fun and the best at laying down rubber and making smoke, but it is impractical.

BTW, show me an old school muscle car that will outhandle an SHO around a road course. There's a reason Bob Bondurant used the SHO for so long.

Chazz of Blades
04-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Old school? Hell, the new Shelby GT500 has a godawful live axle rear suspension setup, even the new muscle is only amazing in a straight line.

Although I wouldn't complain if someone decided to get me a new 6.1l Challenger......

Or a 70 challenger like the one in Vanishing Point......

bkm
04-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Old school? Hell, the new Shelby GT500 has a godawful live axle rear suspension setup, even the new muscle is only amazing in a straight line.

Although I wouldn't complain if someone decided to get me a new 6.1l Challenger......

Or a 70 challenger like the one in Vanishing Point......

Godawful live axle? I guess you have never owned/driven a 03-04 Cobra with IRS. There is a reason Ford went back to the solid axle. Its not a case of if the IRS will break, but when it will break. BTW cool SHO. They are really neat cars.

bkm
04-08-2011, 08:53 AM
I've gotten laid in every car and truck I've owned, including one time while driving!:twisted:

As far as the old muscle cars and how fast they were, you might want to research the real world numbers as far as HP and 1/4 times.:rolleyes: Most of them weren't any faster than the fast cars we have now. I'm personally not that big a fan of FWD, but the trap speeds don't lie. They definitely have a traction advantage. I love RWD, it's the most fun and the best at laying down rubber and making smoke, but it is impractical.

BTW, show me an old school muscle car that will outhandle an SHO around a road course. There's a reason Bob Bondurant used the SHO for so long.

With modern tires and nothing else, give me a Boss 302, '69 Z/28, AAR Cuda any day of the week on a road coarse vs. the SHO.

Chazz of Blades
04-08-2011, 02:11 PM
BKM, the problem with that is simple, you are pitting cars that were designed to be something completely different than the SHO against it.

Now I'll admit I'd rather have a mint Hemi Cuda than the SHO, but the Cuda won't have the history, and the pride that the SHO has.

On a drag strip anything you listed will smoke a stock SHO, but the SHOcar wasn't made to race them, it was made to be a badass car, that looks like a normal car.

Hell, at 220hp in 91, compared to the 86 camaros with the 305 producing a measly 190 HP.

Leadfoot71
04-08-2011, 06:14 PM
BKM, the problem with that is simple, you are pitting cars that were designed to be something completely different than the SHO against it.

Now I'll admit I'd rather have a mint Hemi Cuda than the SHO, but the Cuda won't have the history, and the pride that the SHO has.

On a drag strip anything you listed will smoke a stock SHO, but the SHOcar wasn't made to race them, it was made to be a badass car, that looks like a normal car.

Hell, at 220hp in 91, compared to the 86 camaros with the 305 producing a measly 190 HP.

Welcome to my world! Lol!

As a the owner of an '04 Mercury Marauder, I always find myself explaining to people exactly how many cars actually had more than 300Hp in '04 (not many). Today a V6 Honda Accord will keep up to one.

That's a great first car BTW!

Leadfoot71
04-08-2011, 06:26 PM
How bout nissan skyline , crx , civic , acura integra , celica , etc ....... Anyone see the latest fast and furious ?

That's nothing!

Ever seen the hit 80's TV show Knight Rider? That car could jump whole buildings just by hitting a button labeled "Turbo Boost"!

Thorpe
04-08-2011, 06:36 PM
^^^ HAHAHAHAHA.... I need one of those buttons to mount on my BR! (And the Hoff's car even talked to him!)

trikenut3
04-08-2011, 06:54 PM

Bro had a black one just like yours . VERY fun car . I haven't seen a SHO go across a Barrett-Jackson auction block so time will tell ......

bkm
04-08-2011, 09:04 PM
How bout nissan skyline , crx , civic , acura integra , celica , etc ....... Anyone see the latest fast and furious ?

Did either of you guys read the post I responded to. Ninja said show me a old school muscle car that would keep up with a SHO on a ROAD COURSE. I said give me the above vehicles with modern tires. This has nothing to do with nissan's, honda's, or drag racing.

NINJA
04-10-2011, 05:31 AM
^^^Have you ever raced road course? Have you ever owned any of the cars you listed and raced road course with them? Have you ever raced them against the SHO on a road course? I raced against many different cars at PIR, Porsches, BMWs, Vettes, NSXs, etc. None of the guys with vintage muscle would ever show up to race, I wonder why? But I can tell you, a SHO will hold it's own around a track like that.
I'd also like to ask you what kind of numbers those cars you listed will pull on the skidpad and what are there breaking distances, what will they do in the slalom? Those are much more important specs on a road course.

bkm
04-10-2011, 06:22 AM
^^^Have you ever raced road course? Have you ever owned any of the cars you listed and raced road course with them? Have you ever raced them against the SHO on a road course? I raced against many different cars at PIR, Porsches, BMWs, Vettes, NSXs, etc. None of the guys with vintage muscle would ever show up to race, I wonder why? But I can tell you, a SHO will hold it's own around a track like that.
I'd also like to ask you what kind of numbers those cars you listed will pull on the skidpad and what are there breaking distances, what will they do in the slalom? Those are much more important specs on a road course.

I'm not shitting on the SHO. I think they are neat cars and wanted one very badly back in the day. Of course I don't have any of those cars and there is a reason you won't see guys out beating on them. One the owners of those cars aren't going to take a chance wading up a collector car and second their egos would be hurt by most modern cars on the track.

That being said it looks as if in 1989 a SHO would pull .83 G's by most car magazines back in the day. The only Boss car with modern tires I could find G's for was .80. So I bet with modern tires it would be a drivers race. Maybe my "any day of the week" statement was over the top, but I don't think the SHO will hand these cars thier ass either. But I'm pretty much talking out my ass, because I will never own any of those cars to find out.

Chazz of Blades
04-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Something interesting: the 68 Charger, had a 0-60 time or around 7.5-8 seconds realistically, in the hands of a good driver closer to 7.

The 91 SHO had a strip proven time or 6.4-7 in the hands of a talented driver as well, even though the Charger's engine was HUMONGOUS, had heaps more torque, and higher HP.

Also I'd much rather get into an accident, or have to make a sudden stop in a SHO rather than an older muscle. I LOVE my classic cars, but it would be stupid for me to think of them as perfect, they are what they are, and I love them for that.

Chazz of Blades
07-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Well, since then, I love my SHO. The tranny gives a few issues since it was ran hard and rough by the previous owners, but it's ate a few ponies, and lots of rice so far. It's a really neat car!

atc200xkid
07-17-2011, 02:16 AM
i like the sho's but i can romp my buddies 93 with my pickup lol 97 chey, vortec 350. stock 0-60 about 8.1 and 1/4 mile 16.2, but i got exhaust, cold air, throttle body spacer, locking rear end, hypertech shift kit and a little efi programing haha, he told me i shuld be aroud 380hp to 400hp at the flywheel, this baby rolls! i bet im in the low 7's and 14's in the 1/4 haha

Chazz of Blades
07-17-2011, 02:45 AM
How beat is his car though? New the SHOs would pull 0-60s in the mid 6s, and low 14s on the quarter.

Although that Chev can go a LOT farther than the SHO can when you start getting off the tarmac!

Six Stroke
07-20-2011, 03:15 AM
Gotta love that SHO intake...dual-length runners FTW.