PDA

View Full Version : Another Diagnostic Quiz

TimSr
11-15-2002, 02:45 PM
This should be an easy one. I drained the fluids from my TriZ, and this is what I got.

http://home.neo.rr.com/timtim/fluids.jpg

1. Identify what is in each container.

2. Expain why each looks as it does.

3. Explain the possible cause/causes of this phenominon.[/img]

Jeb
11-15-2002, 03:53 PM
Round container: Crank Case Oil
Trapezoidal Container: Coolant.

Problem Looks like water in the oil and oil in the water. :-D

Cause: Bad Tri-Z water pump seal.

:)

HemiChallenger71
11-15-2002, 04:56 PM
Without looking at anyone else's reply, I guesstimate that it is coolant in the red container with oil in it form possibly a blown base/head gasket? I guesstimate that the black container is the tranny fluid with A LOT of water in it. What from I do not know. Could be old, could have left the crankcase fill plug open and sitting outside, could be from fording(???) a body of water, and it got into the cases without being drained out immediatley afterwards. If it were a car could tell you more accuratley what it is from, and I've never worked on a water cooled 2 stroke before.

Billy Golightly
11-15-2002, 05:17 PM
This should be an easy one. I drained the fluids from my TriZ, and this is what I got.

http://home.neo.rr.com/timtim/fluids.jpg

1. Identify what is in each container.

2. Expain why each looks as it does.

3. Explain the possible cause/causes of this phenominon.[/img]

Left: Was oil.
Right: Was water mixed with antifreeze.

Cause For the Left: crank case breather hose went under, Someone delibertly mixed water into the oil (Hey, that would cause that ;-)), bad water pump seal.

Cause for the Right: Bad water pump seal which are notorious for going out, or someone delibertly mixed oil into the coolant :P.

350Xrider
11-15-2002, 06:14 PM
I'll agree with the both of you on this that it is the water pump seal. I would say the motor was swamped, but since there is oil in the antifreeze I'll have to go with the seal.

Howdy
11-15-2002, 06:46 PM
My guess is the carb wasn't jetted properly and caused the fibulator valve to open thus dumping antifreeze in the oil and vice versa.

That one was for you TiM Sr. lmao j/k

Tri-Z_Jim
11-15-2002, 09:43 PM
water pump seal. Anyways,,,,since the oil and antifreeze mix so well and keep everything lubricated and cooled off.Why bother changing the seal lol I've only had to change the blue Z's so far.I changed it in my old KX250 about 6 times in 6 yrs.

350Xrider
11-15-2002, 11:35 PM
I put one in my old YZ 80 I used to have and my KX could use one now.

Wickedfinger
11-16-2002, 12:51 AM
Water contaminated, transmission mixed oil - Oil contaminated, non mixed anti-freeze - Now I agree with Howdy except that I think the cause is deffinately rear grab-bar related.

NOS_350X
11-16-2002, 02:31 AM
looks just like my 87 cr80 looked the one on the right is coolant and the one on the right is tranny fluid
waterpump seal went out

TimSr
11-16-2002, 03:33 AM
I guess this was an easy one! I should just take the seal out, and run 50:50 antifreeze and oil in the whole works! I will say though, that having gone through this several times over the years, this is the first time I got oil in the cooling system. The crank oil contamination was all from the cooling system. I wasnt under water on that trip. This all occurred during the Haspin trip. It also seized while breaking it in on the track in all that mud, after losing the coolant. It unseized when it cooled back down, and I rode it through the weekend, but one ring was stuck, and the bore is goofed up. I now have it all torn down. Got the cases split, and have to replace a shifting fork which was causing first gear to slip, and a couple sets of needle bearings and crank bearings while the cases are split. Ill also be doing a bore job, and swingarm bearings. I guess its all overdue. I should have done all this before that trip, but I really wanted to go, and my R was down at the time. Should be like new in a few months.

Kilborg
11-16-2002, 04:52 PM
You are all in error. The problem lies in the muffler bearing seal. Replace the seal (and bearing for good measure) and you will be in good shape.

jeswinehart
11-16-2002, 11:46 PM
timsr.
due to you i checked my oil today in big red and found it was all milky looking. (totally submerged motor at badlands 2 weekends ago).
just a shame that oil + filter only had 5 hrs. run time on it.
would have never entered in my mind to look at it had it not been for your post.
probbly won't run it any till next spring + thought you outta know.

john (jeswinehart@hotmail.com)
p.s.- i have another tape for tim jr. to wear out.
e-mail me your mailing address if you would please.