PDA

View Full Version : help an automotive newb out, I want to fix up my dads truck and wonder the $$$

Mr_RPM
03-06-2011, 02:25 PM
My dads birthday is coming up and his truck needs some work done.
Its a 2001 f-150 v6 extended cab 4x2.

Im wanting to buy all the parts needed to fix it up (or as much as I can) and then we will work on it ourselves.

It needs rear brake disks and pads, and front brake pads
4 new tires (plus installation at a shop like bell tire)
shocks
plugs, wires, filters, oil,...hmmm i guess its endless hahaha

it only has 155k miles on it but he just doesn't like to spend the money to keep it in good shape.

Its getting pretty rusty and i dont see it lasting another 10 years, but I sure would like to see it hit 200k miles.
maybe if I get it back to Par he will start taking better care of it.

kinda sad his son needs to tell him to take care of his stuff. lol
its just $ has been an issue and you get behind on things and it slowly adds up.

Im looking to spend like 600 dollars, maybe a bit more?
the tires and brakes are the first things it needs.
I have never bought these things before, can anyone get me an estimate?

his b-day is wednesday. should not have waited till last min, but I cant tell him about it because he wont let me spend my money on it. But if I show up with the parts he needs he will be happy.

Lil Earl
03-06-2011, 03:31 PM
one thing to watch out for with that year and motor, is the plugs break in half and get stuck inside the block.

Mr_RPM
03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
so i thought about it some more, and remember the engine light is on, i dont know the truck like he does. so im just gonna tell him about it and will be stubborn about it and wont let him talk me out of it. It probably needs o2 sensors.
and i forgot to mention a left rear caliper.

its best we do the shopping together.

bigbadktm
03-06-2011, 09:38 PM
i buy all my brake rotors and such off of ebay. also got some ebc pads from somewhere, freaking awesome brakes. get the codes read for the check engine light and not guess at it. but yeah check ebay, best prices

briano
03-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Another thing to check that will show up with a scan of the check engine light is the Mass Air Flow Sensor, it is a common problem on those 6 cyl. Fords. If the code comes up for that sensor you can probably clean it, it is in the air intake tube by the air filter box. Just take the sensor out and there are two tiny wires inside that you will be able to see, spray them off with carb cleaner and put the sensor back in. Don't worry about the plugs breaking off in that engine, that was in the 5.4 3 valve triton engine in the 2004 and up. Sounds dumb but make sure it has the correct air box, it will say on the box V8 or V6, I worked on one that had the wrong airbox from the factory.

dksix
03-06-2011, 10:30 PM
AutoZone will pull the codes for free, at least around here they will. X2 on buying you brakes off EBAY, I save 50% to 60% vs the local parts stores. I heard people using carb cleaner to clean mass air sensor but they make a cleaner just for that and it isn't that much, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Tires I also buy on ebay, the last set I bought on ebay I saved about $150 over the same brand if I would have had a local shop order them for me. But the car does take big tires and no one local stock them. I'd just get a list and hit ebay, you might find all the parts from 1 ebay store and combine shipping to save a ton over buying local.

Mr_RPM
03-06-2011, 11:23 PM
yeah, autozone does the codes for free here also.

tri again
03-07-2011, 01:06 AM
ford-trucks.com is every bit as cool as this site
and will have tons of instant answers to ANY question that comes up.

Search a little first and make sure you pick your year truck from
one of the groups.

like 87-96,
97 - whatever
antique etc.

CI250SX
03-10-2011, 12:30 PM
one thing to watch out for with that year and motor, is the plugs break in half and get stuck inside the block.
That is only on the 04-08 4.6 and 5.4 motors. This is a 4.2 V6.