PDA

View Full Version : getting a title????

speed20
10-10-2003, 11:10 PM
does anyone know if i could get a title for a 1996 rt 180 dirtbike????

Captainuno
10-11-2003, 12:07 AM
In California, all we have to do is take the model & serial number to the DMV, they will do a title search of the bike. If it is not stolen and you have a bill of sale from who you got it from, you should have no problem.

Kirk

'86X
12-07-2003, 06:06 PM
I am in Ohio like speed20. You have to have a bill of sale with the year make and model and the VIN and notarized. Then you have to have an out of state inspection. For that you take it to a car dealer or bike/atv dealer that can do it. All they do is make sure that the VIN on the bill of sale and the VIN on the machine match. Cost $4.75 each for me. Then you take your bill of sale and out of state inspection to the title bureau and they make a title off of that. Yes it is a lot of screwing around!

SoCalDesertRider
12-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Its pretty easy, Ive done it to 3 bikes in the past year. Out here we have to take the bike and DMV info to the CHP where they do the VIN inspection for free, then back to the DMV to pay the fees and they send u the Title in the mail in about 3 weeks. The DMV wants to see a bill of sale or reciept and a written statement as to why there is no title, where the bike came from, how much you paid for it, and what date this all happened on. Each time the whole process has cost me about 40 bucks. Dont take it to CHP though unless you call first to verify with them the VIN# that its not stolen, otherwise.... you leave without the bike.

BIG*E*22188
12-14-2003, 10:54 PM
say the bike is a 79 and it was stolen a long times back and there was a report put in? now you go to get a title and regiter it and crap thiking its legit because you BOUGHT it off of some1 but is really still say stolen. WHAT DO YOU DO?

SoCalDesertRider
12-14-2003, 11:41 PM
On a bike that old, if it was stolen so many years ago, they probably dont have a record of the stolen report anymore, nor would they have a record of the registration history, at least not here in CA. I think they only keep records for 5 years here. All 3 of the bikes I registered had no registration history when I called DMV and CHP to find out if they were stolen, so basically if you have the bike and a bill of sale from the guy you bought it from, you can get a title, even if the bike was stolen at some time in it's ancient history. Like I said above, DMV often wants to see a signed statement from the person you bought it from explaining why there is no title and where did the bike come from. Some times they also want a signed statement from you stating the same thing. The signed statement thing can be a real hassle if you bought it a long time ago and dont know where the guiy is anymore, other than that, its easy.

bigred110
12-15-2003, 02:06 AM
I had to get my 79 registered and I had no papers or bill of sale for it, had it for about 8 years but it was bought for parts for the 84. I went to the DMV web site and fill out the lost title document paper on the DMV site. Went down their(it's a good idea to bring the vechile with you), the lady couldn't get it registered with frame number so we had to go off the engine number. Then she asked my why it hasn't been registered, and I told her why. Then she told me to me write what she told me to write, so I wouldn't have to pay any late fees. Then I payed the her the fee amount($21) and she gave me my green sticker and papers and she told me that my title well come in the mail, up to 30 days.

I hope you have fun, the lady at DMV sure did :D