PDA

View Full Version : anyone get a deer yet?

groundfly
10-11-2003, 01:06 PM
I had two doe's walk right out in front of me last wednesday, just a little to far though. the week before that, opening night i think, my boss stuck a buck but the arrow hit the shoulder and the deer ran and laid down (trying ti hide) about 8 feet in front of me, but then he noticed me before i could do anything and took off. we never found him, so that suck's. oh well

jeswinehart
10-11-2003, 04:22 PM
i have a couple of bow hunter friends and just completed a job at a taxidermis (spelled ?) + and they all said the same thing.
as soon as bow season started it become quite warm in the late morning and into the evening. the week b-4 it was cool to cold and the deer started moving rather freely.
i don't hunt but sure like eating them critters,,, ( my cousin helps me out in that respect)

this is in southwest michigan by the way.
the taxidermist said he'd only had 2 in to mount so far. last year it was like 12 + at this time. could be some economic factors in there too like the cost of stuffing and all.

john

Lots_Of_Nothing
10-11-2003, 05:01 PM
yeah, i got one a couple nights ago with a friend, shot him with my Browning bow, with a cheap carbon fiber arrow, i idnt expect to see anything, but just took it to walk around, thinkin maybe i would see somethin small, but then i saw a doe and her fawn eating on the side of the field and i quickly jumped over toa tree and climbed up a little and sat in a low branch, sure enough jsut as i had suspected here comes a buck walking out and snorting at her, i just sat there and watched them for awhile, and then drew back, took a breath out and let it go, and nailed it right in front of the shoulder, it buried itself right up to the feathers, the deer quikly took off across the field, and i just sat there watching it, and not halfway across the field he just collapsed and lay dead....it was a 6-point buck....me and my uncle hauled it in his truck up to his house, and we claened it all up there, and i still got alot of the meat sittin in the freezer.

ATC crazy
10-11-2003, 11:02 PM
I just got into hunting. I bought a Foreman 450 last winter and it is a very good model. It has plenty of power and the right amount of weight to take down the big game. It's dual compund and it even has built-in rebound dampeners. It will go through any type of cover that might be between you and your target effortlessly. This particular model also doubles as a bed, and body warmer. Its not the quietest model out there, but it will sneak up on any animal at will. I havn't taken anything with it so far, but I have came very close to a 12 point. The biggest draw back is getting the damn thing into the tree stand. Also...I see that no company offers a sling for it either.... :? :D :D

mrman550
10-12-2003, 06:28 PM
so far i got 2 doe opening day

86350Xrob
10-13-2003, 10:11 AM
I got an 8pt on october 7th. the bow season in michigan started on the oct 1st. It was perfect hunting weather. Cool mornings got them up and moving. They will lay in bed longer if the weather is warmer, up here at least.

AirManCam
10-13-2003, 05:18 PM
I have been tracking this 11 pt for about a week. Yesterday my brother pulled up with his brand new muzzleloader to shoot him and it missfired lol. Did I mention that this is a $300 inline muzzleloader.I thought inlines werent supposed to misfire :rolleyes: Any way I have a really good hint for all you ol' fashioned hammer muzzleloader hunters. Drill the nipple out with a bigger drill bit and it will go off just like a rifle :D

whiteman350x
10-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Them dern modern cap poppin guns is never gonna catch on. Get you a good flintlock and throw them cap busters in the creek.

atcmatt
10-14-2003, 05:41 AM
No deer for me.......................none around my hunting area. All I go for are pigs, goats,cats, rabbits and foxes! My last trip proved unsuccesful i shot jack all with my bow and only 1 measly rabbit with the rifle........pretty sad in my point of view. Well thats hunting for you, and thats exactly what makes it fun! Cant wait till i get access to a deer property here in Australia, i wouldent mind downing a nice red stag or something. For now i'll stick with goats. I dont get why America has a "DEER SEASON", we can hunt all year round............can anyone explain this????? Im getting my old school bow fixed tomorrow then im gunna sell my bear to pay the debt for my red! Bare sight, wood arrows and the ever reliable davies broad head will be in my arsenal for a year or two, no hi-tech stuff for me, unless.......................... :twisted:

Matt

TimSr
10-14-2003, 08:45 AM
I dont get why America has a "DEER SEASON", we can hunt all year round............can anyone explain this????? Matt

In the early 1900's deer populations in the entire US numbered less than 300,000. They and many other species had been hunted to near nonexistance. Since that time each state developed a fish and game department to regulate and control hunting, and this department would be funded by hunting and fishing licenses. Later and excise tax was added on all sporting goods to further fund game management, wildlife studies, and habitat restoration and developement.

I grew up in a rural area, and spend most of my childhood in the woods. I saw my first deer in the wild in 1970, when I was 9 years old. Now its an everyday occurrance (and I now live in a small town). My 9 year old son has seen hundreds. This is how much things have changed just in my lifetime. Last thing I read, which has been a while ago estimated deer populations at 30,000,000-40,000,000 in the US. Wild Turekys did not exist in my state 30 years ago. Ive seen hundreds this year.

Wildlife populations are managed for optimum numbers for the amount of habitat available in each area. If they overpopulate, habitat is detroyed and the entire herd becomes unhealthy from malnutrition. These populations are controlled by the length of the seaon, and by number of animals that can be taken. Some animals on which hunting has little impact can be hunted all year round. Exotics, animals not native to a specific area, but which are raised on confined ranches for hunting, are regulated the landowner.

AirManCam
10-14-2003, 03:55 PM
I dont get why America has a "DEER SEASON", we can hunt all year round............can anyone explain this????? Matt

In the early 1900's deer populations in the entire US numbered less than 300,000. They and many other species had been hunted to near nonexistance. Since that time each state developed a fish and game department to regulate and control hunting, and this department would be funded by hunting and fishing licenses. Later and excise tax was added on all sporting goods to further fund game management, wildlife studies, and habitat restoration and developement.

I grew up in a rural area, and spend most of my childhood in the woods. I saw my first deer in the wild in 1970, when I was 9 years old. Now its an everyday occurrance (and I now live in a small town). My 9 year old son has seen hundreds. This is how much things have changed just in my lifetime. Last thing I read, which has been a while ago estimated deer populations at 30,000,000-40,000,000 in the US. Wild Turekys did not exist in my state 30 years ago. Ive seen hundreds this year.

Wildlife populations are managed for optimum numbers for the amount of habitat available in each area. If they overpopulate, habitat is detroyed and the entire herd becomes unhealthy from malnutrition. These populations are controlled by the length of the seaon, and by number of animals that can be taken. Some animals on which hunting has little impact can be hunted all year round. Exotics, animals not native to a specific area, but which are raised on confined ranches for hunting, are regulated the landowner.
I couldnt have said it better myself. I know if hunting season was opean all year round All of my friends and family would be out every weekend and im sure all of you other hunters would be too

atcmatt
10-15-2003, 06:10 AM
Thanks for clarifying that for me Tim, I now no what a "DEER SEASON" is.