PDA

View Full Version : rebuild a 84' TRX 200??

whitedaddy
03-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Heya, we have a 84' TRX 200, it acts like it has a blown head gasket or something... it starts and runs ok... (blueish smokes some) but then it dies when it gets hot.... it will restart when pulled, or if u wait a while... maybe 15mins-30mins... what can I do to see if it warrants a rebuild or....?
I have engine experience in general, but my air cooled experience is nil....

bugler30
03-13-2011, 04:03 AM
fairly easy motor to work on. Head nuts on top of valve cover and the basically hold the whole thing down jug and all. there are some valve cover bolts and a bolt that kind attaches the head to the jug. sounds like its burning oil so rings would be in order. When you buy the gasket set make sure you get an OEM head gasket (they are still available through the honda dealer) or at least an OEM style one, which is a 3 layer metal gasket. As for dying my guess is that it is also compression related, so rings would do the job there also (in theory) but a good carb cleaning never hurt anything. These are the same motors as an ATC 200ES, not a ton of power but VERY reliable and always starts. I swear these motors would run upside down with 1/2 the bolts missing... :lol:

as always take a look at the manual for all your specs and to make sure things go back together the way they came apart.

whitedaddy
03-13-2011, 02:24 PM
thank you very much! I think I will order the manual

leviblue
03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
if you decide aginst a rebuild and your plastics are nice think of me. I love my lil' 200sx. good little quad and worth the rebuild. It's a good donner for an auto-x if you ever decide to go that way.