PDA

View Full Version : 350x rocker issue

jkellys
03-14-2011, 09:23 PM
recently started putting my 350x engine together. problem i'm having is the rocker arm is hitting the retainer. all the parts are from web cams cam retainers springs rockers. has anyone else ever had this problem? thinking about clearancing the rocker arm. wonder if the rocker face were it rides on the cam is built up to much.

Hurricane635
03-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Yes, I've used them for years and every set interferes, I use a drum sander on a die grinder.

Thunder God
03-14-2011, 10:58 PM
By "retainer" do you mean the cap that holds the valve spring in place?

jkellys
03-14-2011, 11:25 PM
thanks for the quick reply. my plan was to die grind the bottoms of the rocker (were it's hitting) doesn't look like it needs much. just wasn't sure if anyone had this problem before. got the head done and was worried that maybe the vale height was wrong.
yes the retainer is on the top of the spring.

jrsqlc
03-14-2011, 11:53 PM
i have the same problem on my 250x quad, good thing i ran across this....i havent wanted to run it ticking like it does

TheRealFatShady
03-15-2011, 01:42 AM
This may sound stupid, but can you add a gasket to the valve cover/where it meets the head?

Example - Just today I tried to get my XR200 engine back together, but my valve cover was at my buddy's shop for a stuck bolt (big plug to adjust valves) so I used one off an old 185 or 200 atc engine. When torqued down to spec, the journals were binding on the cam bushing/bearing a small amount, enough that the engine didn't want to turn over.

Instead of just gasket maker, another buddy suggested making a gasket from gasket paper from Auto-Zone. He did, and now it clears perfectly and the engine turns over as it should. It was such a minuscule size difference, but the paper thin gasket appears to have fixed it.

SWIGIN
03-15-2011, 06:49 PM
You guys who have this problem, are you all using web cams?

I only use megacycle cams and normaly the full race cam they make. I never ran into this problem, but the welded/hardened rockers do get close. maybe web sucks more then I thought.