PDA

View Full Version : synthetic or not......

speed20
10-12-2003, 04:59 PM
what kind of oil should i run in a 2 stroke

groundfly
10-12-2003, 09:50 PM
if your talking about gear oil, (transmission), i run 10w 40 cr 250 or somthing around there, but alot of guy's will run a heavy straight weight gear lube or somthing. just a matter of opinion. as far as synthetic?? i don't know, it's a better and longer lasting lube but it may cause slippage in your clutch. doubt it though cause it's the same viscosity i geuss???

86waterpumper
10-13-2003, 04:50 PM
I run klotz synthetic supertechniplate premix for the motors on my bikes, and in the transmissions klotz 30wt flexdrive. There is nothing wrong with running synthetics in the transmissions of bikes IF and only if they are made for a bike. Running something like castrol or mobile 1 synthetic oil made for cars will cause clutch slippage. On the motorcycle oils, they add friction modifiers and such. Most people run 10w40 or something in their 2 stroke transmissions I figure because of cost. Klotz flexdrive at 8 bucks a quart isn't cheap, but I think it's worth it, and probably doesn't need to be changed near as often as the regular dino oil. One day I was riding my kdx200, and the transmission plug came out, and I rode all day long on it with zero oil in the tranny. It made some pretty rough sounds before I figured out what had happened. I filled it back up, and it's running fine to this day. It might have done that after running regular 10/40 I don't know, but it was enough to cause me to stick with the good stuff. I also like the weight of it. I don't think that 10/40 sounds thick enough for transmissions, and yet 80/90 weight seems too thick for shifting smoothly and such. If I was going to run regular car oil, I think I would get something like straight 30 wt, or at least 20/50, unless it was the dead of winter.

speed20
10-13-2003, 08:26 PM
so if i was going to run car oil in a dirtbike (mixed with gas) i should use SAE30???? i thought about using yamalube, but i dont llike going 20 miles just to get oil!!!!!...as for tranny oil, i was thinking something like SAE40 or 50, or should i use 10w40-50....ive never had a dirtbike...and a rt180 i was looking at sold before i got to it, but now im looking at a 92 RM250, and dont have a clue what oil to run....so car synthetic oil wouldnt work (or it would work but would cause slippage). i just want to make sure its not going to burn up...

Captainuno
10-14-2003, 01:40 AM
DO NOT USE CAR OIL FOR PREMIX
Use a good MOTORCYCLE two stroke premix oil for the engine. There are lots of them out there, Bel Ray, Yamalube, Klotz are all good, take your pick, I have been using Golden Spectro for over 30 years, have had really good luck with it. It comes in 12 oz. containers, mix to 5 gallons or you can also get it in half gallon containers if you don't want to go back and forth to the bike shop all the time.
As far a trans oil, Golden Spectro also makes a trans lube for tansmissions for 2 stroke bikes, multi viscosity. I use it and have never had a clutch problem.
Hopes this helps you out.
Kirk

86waterpumper
10-14-2003, 09:27 AM
Most people run 10w40 or something in their 2 stroke TRANSMISSIONS I figure because of cost

I don't think that 10/40 sounds thick enough for TRANSMISSIONS

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bigred110
10-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Some auto parts store sell 2 stroke oil. My local Auto Zone store sells castrol gtx 2 stroke oil.