PDA

View Full Version : best way to waste time?

Sawfly
03-20-2011, 12:57 PM
i'm burned out on xbox and the internet here sucks, any ideas on stuff i might be able to do to waste time? besides sleeping. like building something, jedi mind tricks, entertaining computer games, that kinda stuff. i'm in afghanistan for the next 3 months. so keep that in mind please, thanks.

Brockey
03-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Did your xbox suffer from the red ring of death? Google it for the fix. Tear it apart and xbrace it.

I dont know what else you can do where your too. Try carving things outta wood? Find some big nuts. Lol nuts belong to bolts. Dremel them out inside. Grind them into a smooth circle. Polish and make and sell as rings. You could leave one flat side on the nut for a design or stone to be stuck on. Just a few ideas.

4cylinders
03-20-2011, 05:44 PM
hey,my son is there too. draw pictures of the things you want to make when you get home. adopt a dog. pan for gold!!
oops maybe too many ideas.

pantera1975
03-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Ride a 4 wheeler for something different or watch the news

cattle-dog
03-20-2011, 07:49 PM
make plans to meet up with some of your trike friends when you come back to the states and go for a ride,
Thanks for your service. if you ever venture near niagara falls new york you can ride with me i allways have a extra trike that a protecter of our country can ride.
Don/cattle-dog

Mr_RPM
03-20-2011, 08:16 PM
build a super Lego castle. or build models of cars and stuff.
its hard to say, not sure what kind of resources you have access to.

Brockey
03-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Oops, I read it wrong. The xbox is not burned out. Lol. Sand castles? Offroad with anything you can get in or on.

Rawlins350x
03-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Throw rocks at random stuff, find someone with a guitar (assuming someone there can have one) and learn how to play some of your favorite songs, make some paper airplanes. Must importantly, Thank you for serving our country.

fabiodriven
03-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Get a good book. Let me know if you want one sent to you battle. I read this book http://longwayround.com/ when I was in Kuwait loading the ship at the tail end of my Iraq tour. Once I started it I couldn't put it down. I would highly recommend reading the book and then watching the movie when you get home like I did.

brapp
03-20-2011, 11:18 PM
set things on fire, fishing, masterbation hahahahahaha

yooperman
03-20-2011, 11:30 PM
oh man do i know the spot your in man, i was in the same spot when i was in iraq 09-10. time really really slows down over there when your bored. hang in there man. awosome another fellow service member/veteran on the site. i would ask ya more but i know the OPSEC shat about posting stuff on the net. just keep posting threads man so everybody know that crap is still going ok with ya.

Sawfly
03-21-2011, 12:12 AM
i thinik i'll try the nut ring idea. i got a dremel here but bits are so hard to come by. as for the model cars and whatnot i may give those a shot. but i hate throwing stuff away if i spend a lot of time on it. so if anyone has any plans for a small wooden car or something that is held together by pegs or something so i can take it apart those would be great. i'm somewhere between 80 and 100 books read so far. considering a decent sized(400page) book takes me about 3-5 hours to read i still have plenty of time. well, back to work. i'll check this again tonight

note: they get mad when i set things on fire. i have a questionable reputation for anything destructive...

JayBone
03-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Well when i was in the service i drank large quantites of beer and hungout with koren bar maids. They have a different name, but not polite to say. We would play spaids, poker, bones, and just hangout. It's gotta be pretty boring and i can relate. If it were me & doing over again. I'd read books about things that interest me or books on CD. I'd read a lot about finance stuff. Maybe you can build a wooden derby car. Maybe you can get a few groups to have races and people could have gifts to win. You could also hand it down when you PCS.

Aka_am
03-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Minecraft!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VWnQHS-ffs

bugler30
03-23-2011, 01:55 AM
My buddy while he was over there went in with a few people on a satellite net setup. Laggy as crap but better than nothing. He also told me that a day off is the WORST idea EVER there because there is so little to do. Too bad you can't have your trike shipped to you ;) :lol: I bet there is some good riding there, would put the OR sand dunes to shame I'm sure. Best thing to pass time is to be social be it online or in person, I'm sure others are just as bored as you and would love to do stuff. You could always nerd out and play Magic or DnD.

Sawfly
03-23-2011, 04:45 AM
yes... days off are the same as saying "here, let me just stick you in the padded room all day with the annoying guy from 3 cells down." nobody here plays d&d. i already checked. although they do have some electric RC cars here i'm a nitro/gas guy and it feels like betraying all my trucks. that and spending the 300-500 bucks. i've already wasted enough time on minecraft. it gets boring after a few days with nobody else. and i'm out of dremel bits... any1 wanna donate?

JasonB
03-24-2011, 03:07 PM
eat babies.
make babies.

thats all I got. Thanks for your service!!!!!!

Billy Golightly
03-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Read Atlas Shrugged, its 1100 pages so that should take you a little while :)

What kind of tools/supplies do you have access to to build things?

NINJA
03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Take up knife making. It's what I do here in the winter. Start out making knives out of old leaf springs, then once you get good at that you can build a forge. Once you have a forge and learn how to use it, you can make some very high quality knives (much better than any store bought).

Sawfly
03-25-2011, 12:44 AM
i have a dremel, hammer, nails, drill screws a saw... my leatherman multi-tool. thats about all i got. no grinding wheels for my grinder.
got lots of wood and SOME sheet metal if i want to cut apart broken trucks. but i need a grinder or something for that