PDA

View Full Version : HELP, my jeep wont start!!!! - fixed

Mr_RPM
04-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I was going for a drive earlier and the jeep started idling bad at stop lights and accelerated really rough. If I floored it the throttle response was horrible and It would not accelerate anymore then if it was at half throttle.

So I figured I would try some Seafoam, it worked good for me before so why not again?
I put 2 and 1/2 bottles in the gas tank (I had half a can left over in my barn) because It was running pretty bad so i figured I needed to use a bunch of it in order to fix my problem.

I started it and let it run for 5 mins in the driveway after putting in the seafoam and it still ran horrible, horrible idle going all over the place, it then stalled.

so i went inside to let the seafoam do its thing. I came back out an hour later and now it wont start?

what could be my problem?
My engine light is not on...

ctk
04-01-2011, 04:41 PM
year model what engine?

Mr_RPM
04-01-2011, 04:47 PM
2001 jeep wrangler
4.0 I6

should I maybe try some octane booster?
My friends girlfriends brother works at a shop and says seafoam will fix anything.

so im really confused

Xpress
04-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Rough idle and rough acceleration point to clogging in the fuel delivery system.

I believe you put in WAY too much foam. You're only supposed to use 1oz per gallon, so you may have clogged the fuel pump, fuel filter, and/or the fuel injectors. Time to pull everything and check it out.

rdlsz24
04-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Have you changed the fuel filter recently? My Saturn ran like that when I installed the wrong fuel filter that didn't have the pressure regulator built into it

Rob

code200k
04-01-2011, 05:24 PM
could need plugs,wire cap,rotor etc

Chazz of Blades
04-01-2011, 05:42 PM
WWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much SeaFoam!

1oz per gallon is correct, and when used properly seafoam works great. NO OCTANE BOOSTER!

Mr_RPM
04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
well i had 1/4 tank of gas, so I should be fine right?

Thorpe
04-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Hold the throttle to the boards when you crank it over... My XJ gets a fit once in awhile and does the same thing... Usually have to fight it to get it to run normal for a minute during this process, then it heals itself... No idea why, just tempermental... Does it once a year maybe... (Buddys jeep does it once in awhile too)

As for the sea foam, when you get it fired up, go put a full tank of gas in it, and dilute it out as much as possible... Its a jeep, you will be fine.

Chazz of Blades
04-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Thorpe is correct, IF it will start and run with that much seafoam on so little gas, try to get as much straight gas in there as possible.

Mr_RPM
04-01-2011, 06:43 PM
maybe If I add some seafoam to the oil too?

APRIL FOOLS!!!!!

come on guys, you should know jeeps dont break =PPPP hahaha

I thought "should I maybe try some octane booster?
My friends girlfriends brother works at a shop and says seafoam will fix anything" would give it away for sure. lmao

I did this on a jeep forum and no one even gave thought about the seafoam, I guess it seems more realistic then I first thought in my head.
haha and after saying april fools one person continued to diagnose my problem. lol

I was just going to pour the seafoam directly into my cylinders but my friend who is a tire tech at belltire said not to. =P haha

Chazz of Blades
04-01-2011, 07:04 PM
You limey trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro! :)

Thorpe
04-01-2011, 08:10 PM
maybe If I add some seafoam to the oil too?

APRIL FOOLS!!!!!

come on guys, you should know jeeps dont break =PPPP hahaha

I thought "should I maybe try some octane booster?
My friends girlfriends brother works at a shop and says seafoam will fix anything" would give it away for sure. lmao

I did this on a jeep forum and no one even gave thought about the seafoam, I guess it seems more realistic then I first thought in my head.
haha and after saying april fools one person continued to diagnose my problem. lol

I was just going to pour the seafoam directly into my cylinders but my friend who is a tire tech at belltire said not to. =P haha

I thought it was kinda funny, because my Jeep really does get a spook into it once in awhile...

As for the octane booster, and 3 gallons of sea foam, I thought you were just a 20 y/o kid like my younger brother inlaw! (jk)

Mr_RPM
04-01-2011, 08:49 PM
haha, i might be young, but not too dumb. If I was dumber I would ride a 4 wheeler. =P
but I wasn't smart enough to think of this idea myself, i saw this a while ago... http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570
cracked me up.
Not sure if its a prank though, you know how those crotch rocket punks are.

as for the problem i made up, my dads truck did it, needed a fuel filter. so rdlsz24 kinda guessed pretty well, but wranglers are supposed to have lifetime fuel filters that should last longer thenn the jeep.

Thorpe
04-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Lifetime... Yeah Jeep and their infinite wisdom, putting it in the tank, as a sock for the pump...

Mr_RPM
04-01-2011, 08:58 PM
yeah, once Chrysler got their fingers on the jeep name things started going south.

I did get that pump problem fixed (fuel pressure reg.) I talked about a while ago, it was covered by the warerenty i bought with the jeep.
paid 130 bucks for a 690 dollar job. (deductible, and tax and shop supplies not covered)

Xpress
04-01-2011, 11:26 PM
come on guys, you should know jeeps dont break

BULLSHEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've broken mine plenty of times :p

Leadfoot71
04-02-2011, 12:53 AM
yeah, once Chrysler got their fingers on the jeep name things started going south.

No doubt! For the last two years I have been busy replacing absolutely everything that says Chrysler on it from my '96 XJ.

Thorpe, Check your engine coolant temp sensor. Mine failed last summer and when it did, it faulted to -40 degrees. Because of that, it ran really rich (though I couldn't tell) and would stall out on me from time to time. The only way to re-start it after a stall was to floor it and crank the SOB 'til the battery was nearlly dead. That would clear the cylinders enough for it to fire again.

It never threw a single code and would run fine for weeks before acting up again.

Chazz of Blades
04-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Hell yes jeeps break. My neighbor/best friend has a 92 Sahara I6, and that thing schemes I tells ya.

Thorpe
04-02-2011, 08:49 AM
No doubt! For the last two years I have been busy replacing absolutely everything that says Chrysler on it from my '96 XJ.

Thorpe, Check your engine coolant temp sensor. Mine failed last summer and when it did, it faulted to -40 degrees. Because of that, it ran really rich (though I couldn't tell) and would stall out on me from time to time. The only way to re-start it after a stall was to floor it and crank the SOB 'til the battery was nearlly dead. That would clear the cylinders enough for it to fire again.

It never threw a single code and would run fine for weeks before acting up again.

Hey John-- I did replace it this summer (now that you mention it) and it hasnt done it since! Mostly replaced it from extreme temp gauge fluctuations. The sender was coroded up pretty nasty to the point metal was eroding away...