PDA

View Full Version : Had My first dog die today =/

Mr_RPM
04-02-2011, 06:52 PM
My dog Maggie got super sick today and I had to put her down.
She was my first dog and have had her for 14-15 years.
She was just shy of being 16 years old.

sad day, we were lucky enough to have the ground not be totally frozen.
But, it was her time. she was getting old and had a hard time seeing and hearing, then today (for no reason, she was just fine yesterday) she got super sick and was unable to get up and was yelping and breathing real hard. She was getting worse and worse over the span of 30ish minutes to the point where we knew she was done, and rather doing the 30 min drive to a vet where she was going to die On a operating table, I just put her down myself. It was instant and in her comfort area at home.

Thats my rant, just needed to talk about it since my family is to bothered by it right now.

Thorpe
04-02-2011, 07:06 PM
That sucks man... I feel for you. I will have a hard time the day my dog goes....

jeswinehart
04-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Yup, same as Thorpe said. Chase, exactly what breed was you dog, a mix of sorts ?

You will be at Bundy Hill right ?

Mr_RPM
04-02-2011, 07:20 PM
She was a mix of a bunch of breeds.
She was mainly border collie.

The plan is to be at bundy hill, the 110 is done but there are a few complications pending that I am hoping to figure out.
But if not Ill just be stuck on the boring Bigred. I ordered a class 3 receiver hitch for the jeep today so I should be ready to roll.

plastikosmd
04-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Sorry to hear, u never forget

leviblue
04-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Sorry for your loss. I'm sure she's chasing bunnies now....a few mths back I lost my boy after 18 years and I'm still messed-up about it

brd812
04-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Dogs... Mans best friend. I feel for you! I had 15 year lab I had to put down and he told me when it was time. One day fine and the next day gone. I give you alot of props for doing it yourself, i wasn't man enough, but my vet made hold him while he went to sleep in my lap. It was the best closure to our relationship and i give my vet all the credit in the world for making me do it. He knew it would help and it did. lots of respect....sorry

Chazz of Blades
04-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Hell man, I know I'll break down and cry when my baby dog passes.

People who've never had a pet really close to them will never understand the bond, they literally seem like a child to you.

You have my sympathies, and I know I'd never be tough enough to end things myself.

Dirtcrasher
04-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Very sorry to hear that. Animals don't harm anyone; Sometimes I think it hurts more to lose an animal than to appreciate a human for what they were.......

I never wanted anymore after I lost cats/dogs/birds as a kid. It was just too painful. Once you get to know there personality it gets tough to think about losing them.

Now I'm stuck with all my ex's cats and unfortunately I care about them. There day will come too and I'll be a wreck.

TheRealFatShady
04-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I know what you're going through from when my 1 yr old pitbull got hit and I had to put her down last year. Still bothers me a lot.

Mr_RPM
04-03-2011, 02:36 AM
we would always joke saying she was an ATC, she was old, kept on chuggin along and even being close to 16 she had some pep in her step. so her being a tuff reliable trike fit. haha
The saddest part is I have a yorkie who was in love with her and was always by her side. watching him trying to find her is sad.

thanks for all the replies guys, I had actually thought about it before thinking if I would be tough enough to do it myself (the rest of my family are to "wimpy" for lack of better word). I always doubted, and never really accepted she would die being she was such a beast (metaphorically speaking) but when you are watching your friend die and know shes not going to do to well on a trip to the vet, your gut tells you to man up and do it. I don't regret it at all.

tri again
04-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Female shepherd, 17 years, raised my child with me.
Never raised my voice to her,
She was telepathic.

That was 24 years ago
ancient spirit guide for sure.

tanks350x
04-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Yea it deffinatel sucks to lose an animal. They too are parts of your family. I remember a few years back, I had a cat. He was fine when I went to work but, when I came home something had happened. I took him to his vet, he apparantly had a stroke. I had to put him down. I hated to have to do that.. I know where you are coming from...

MrPretty
04-03-2011, 09:55 AM
I had the same thing happen to my first dog, she passed within hours of her apparent deterioration. She was fine one day and the next she was having trouble walking, seeing and hearing. She was 15 years old though and she had a good life. That was 11 years ago now and I have another dog but I still miss her and it still hurts when I think about that day. I'm very sorry man!

bkm
04-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Other than the loss my Father, putting my dog down was the second hardest thing I have ever had to go through. I love dogs, but knowing that they have a short life span I will never put myself through that type of pain again. Sorry for your loss.

Chazz of Blades
04-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Good friend of mine had an austrailian sheperd named Prince, he lived to be almost 24 years old. Jamie, my friend, had this dog since he was 16, and got prince as a pup.

Custom200
04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
know how you feel, I lost a bearded collie mom picked up off the road as a pup someone abondaned to die, She got it a year before i was born and it died 4 years ago when i was 16. Very sad. Thats the only animal ive lost. However I have a cat at the moment that 23.

atc200xkid
04-03-2011, 04:12 PM
sorry to hear that. we just put our dog down today to :( he was a 15 year old lab, he would have been 16 in june. its hard i know

Mr_RPM
04-03-2011, 04:36 PM
My dog also would have been 16 this summer.