PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a Banshee...

Xpress
04-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I have been wanting to get a nice Banshee since forever. I have been looking at some lately, but quite frankly, don't have a clue about them.

What's the best year to look for? I have seen a nice late 80's model (1st gen I believe) all the way up to 06 models. I would be buying it to rip on, everything from dunes to track. What years should I avoid? What should I be looking for to knock the pricing down? What would be a fair price for one in good condition?

Thanks.

D-dub
04-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Man I love the sound of a banshee engine:twisted:....I dont know much about them either, but id get the newest one possible

Xpress
04-09-2011, 06:29 PM
I found a really SWEET OEM one on CL for cheap, it's a first gen model, white, but it looks amazingly clean. But again, I don't know if I should go with a first gen, or a later gen model, because of the suspension and power.

Slingblade
04-10-2011, 12:21 AM
I think the only difference is the first gen had a j-arm set up instead of a-arms. I've never owned a first gen so I can't speak intelligently about the j-arm set up. But I'm pretty sure that was the only major change in all those years of production.

I owned a 98 model with just bolt-ons,(pipes,filter,head,ignition plate,shift star mod, etc.) and it was a flat screamer. It's a different kind of power than a single cyl 2 stroke, and a little different to work on, 2 of everything, (depending on mods) you'll learn to synch the carbs by listening to the slides.

But they are a blast, I've never ridden dunes of any kind but I would love to wind one out just once in the sand. It seems that's what they were made for, they have a top end that just doesn't quit.

Available mods are endless, so consider the mods it has and the price of the ones you want, and like D-dub said they just sound AWESOME, Nothing like 'em. Good Luck

Xpress
04-10-2011, 02:22 AM
That's one question I've had for a while, and that's what the max speed would be for a 100% stock low hours machine, and how many ponies they put out.

I know that engine mods can only push the top speed so far (not a whole lot, like a handful of MPH's), but it would help to know what the top speed is stock.

KASEY
04-10-2011, 10:31 AM
you want answers,,,,, GO TO A BANSHEE FOURM ,,, banshee owners don't shut up about then things,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HuffieVA
04-10-2011, 11:35 AM
I know that engine mods can only push the top speed so far (not a whole lot, like a handful of MPH's), but it would help to know what the top speed is stock.

arguably reported to be in the low to mid 70's, unless you plan on racing it its quite enough, realistically if you nail a tree at 70 or you nail a tree at 80 you get basically the same result, with that being said I have a 1970 R5 which is basically the original air cooled piston port version of the same engine which will push it over 100... how much over 100? I don't know, it's over 40 years old, has drum brakes, poor suspention and I'm not totally stupid:D

The point is, it will do what it will do, and you can mod if from there, but if you have 100+ mph in your head, you will definitely have to open your wallet before you open the throttle

Xpress
04-10-2011, 03:59 PM
I was gonna say maybe buy a truck first , so you can go to the dunes

Sarcasm aside, I have a truck...........

three_wheelin45
04-12-2011, 10:57 PM
arguably reported to be in the low to mid 70's, unless you plan on racing it its quite enough, realistically if you nail a tree at 70 or you nail a tree at 80 you get basically the same result, with that being said I have a 1970 R5 which is basically the original air cooled piston port version of the same engine which will push it over 100... how much over 100? I don't know, it's over 40 years old, has drum brakes, poor suspention and I'm not totally stupid:D

The point is, it will do what it will do, and you can mod if from there, but if you have 100+ mph in your head, you will definitely have to open your wallet before you open the throttle

My uncle dumped tons of money into his and it would do about 113... he put nitrous on it and it only made a lil difference he got up to 121 with nos. This is the truth I seen a copy of the police report :o :lol: