PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mount a tire with WD-40

SonicTronics
04-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Before anyone tells me I am supposed to use ether let me start by saying I am not trying to do it.
Today at work my boss (who uses wd-40 for EVERYthing) showed me this video of someone supposedly using WD-40 to set the bead of a tire and when I said it was probably ether he looked at me like I was a moron and pointed out to me that it said WD-40 in the title so it MUST be true. I know ether works, but has anyone ever seen this actually done with WD-40? WD-40 itself really isn't flammable, only in aerosol form so I am having a little trouble buying this.

Chazz of Blades
04-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I've used WD-40 to seat a car tire on a wheel, it doesn't light well in my experiance, but it's magic when forcing the tire onto the rim.

Dirtcrasher
04-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Great for seating/un-seating, but then the bead has to get sealed somehow 75% of the time.

I've had WD40 allow tires to slip/spin on the rim itself.....

Slingblade
04-12-2011, 10:42 PM
The fumes are what you want to light and blow the tire out on the beads, so wd-40 would probably work. I know hair spray works, used it on a wheel barrow tire not long ago. That's what we used as kids in

our soup can cannons and tater guns, Aqua Net was the best.

RubberSalt
04-13-2011, 11:18 AM
My dad says to use WD-40, not ether.v He's been playing with gas professionally for 40+ years

I just blew a tire up using ether - to much ether!!

WD-40 isn't as violent of an explosion. either way, run a big trail back from the tire, or light it with a big stick like i did and be ok lol

300rman
04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
The fumes are what you want to light and blow the tire out on the beads, so wd-40 would probably work. I know hair spray works, used it on a wheel barrow tire not long ago. That's what we used as kids in

our soup can cannons and tater guns, Aqua Net was the best.

Aqua net is still the best :D

Xpress
04-13-2011, 12:46 PM
WD-40 is an amazing liquid, but I'd rather not use a LUBRICANT to mount my tires, especially one that doesn't wash away easily like soap does ;)

SonicTronics
04-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Problem is that WD-40 is not flammable, so leaving a trail isn't going to do anything.

Mr_RPM
04-13-2011, 10:53 PM
I hate wd-40
if you use it to prevent rust on something, (like a car) it will just slowly (!) eat what ever paint is left and make your problem worse.
It seems as it is a great lube, it it ends up evaporating over a few days.

What wd-40 really does is displace water and is technically a solvent, using it as a lube is bottom on my list as it wears out fast and evaporates and eats at what you put it on. It dry rots rubber and ruins finish on paint.
The paint on my jeep has dull spots from me wd-40ing my door hinges.

It is so mild that it works horrible for most things but just mild enough that you dont realize long term effects till its to late.

if you want a lube, buy a lube. If you want a solvent, buy a solvent, wd-40 has to many side effects for being so un effective.

RubberSalt
04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
i only use wd-40 if some one buys it for me, i prefer "rustbomb" to break down rust, and "lube oil" for lubrication/penetration - the girl loves it

Both products are from conklin

Guy was beating on a rust bolt on his trailer for hours, tried heat, wd 40, the works. Few weeks later a dude came around selling those products, he sprayed some on that bolt. He talked to the trailer owner for an hour or so, came back outside and that bolt was on the ground.

After seeing that, i like rust bomb lol

Erics350x
04-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Some of you are confused, hes talking about using it to light and "explode" the tire on the bead, not as a bead lube. I havent done it but it should work, heck hair spray or any other airosoles that are flamable should too

hoosierlogger
04-15-2011, 09:59 AM
I can tell you that WD-40 will wash the oils out of the lock cylinders on a 1987 chevy blazer. I did it in High school to dads Blazer. he never locked it so I thought I had better spray some oil in there to keep things working good. I didnt find out that it washes oil out until mom drove it one day and locked it. She couldnt get in it to get home.

Scootertrash
04-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Well, I am kind of a noob here and some of what I am going to say has probably been covered, But here goes: After you've rasseled that tire back onto the rim
Stand the tire on the tread
Make sure the valve is out of the stem (you should have done this to break the bead it makes it one heck of a lot easier)
Take your air hose and, without any attachment in the chuck, push it onto the stem and most times the tire will seat right away. There is nothing impeding the flow of air and you get a nice solid flow.
Sometimes you need to bounce the tire on the ground a couple times on a couple different sides to get the bead to start itself.

I have never had to use any type of fluid to get a bead to seat.

YMMV
Scooter