PDA

View Full Version : non stock tire modifications.....

10-07-2002, 04:36 PM
Ok guys, I got one more for you since my 3 wheeler is back in action thanks to ya'lls advice.

I ride a lot in real sticky gumbo mud, for those of you who arent familiar with gumbo, well it sucks! Its the kind of mud that just cakes up and clogs your tires to the point where a: your front tire wont move, or b: your rear tires get so mucked over they get slick and you end up just sitting in one spot spinning your tires without throwing anything off.

My question is really pretty ignorant. Would a taller narrower front tire help? (such as whats on a 350x) and also how do you figure out what size tire would work on your machine besides with stock rims? Ive decided on getting a more aggressive and open style tread for my rear tires and would like to get them a little taller as well.

shaky

w66dyamaha225
10-07-2002, 04:52 PM
Well, Shaky I am originally from central Texas and we have black dirt that you can even get off you shoes. In my experience the bigger the lugs on the tire the easier it is to throw off and get a new grip. Small lugged tires "Ball" up quick and just spin like slicks. It may work a little different with a trike, but that is my experience with 4x4 trucks. A skinnier, taller tire should help because the surface area is smaller and would place more weight per square inch on the mud, therefore, giving more traction, but I still think large lugs are the key to the gumbo.

10-07-2002, 05:39 PM
Thats the kind of tire im looking at now, very large tractor type lugs, but was just thinking that a taller skinner tire would help out as well. Plus I think the skinnier tire on the front just looks a whole lot better than the stock fat balloon tires on non performance trikes.

shaky

Tri-Z_Jim
10-07-2002, 06:30 PM
Every tire tread will eventually pack enuff to make it a slick.Tires dont mean a thing if your machine isnt powerful enuff to spin the tires fast enuff to clean them. A ytm200 doesnt have enuff balls to spin dust off its tires and my tri-z will rip the knobs off.As far as the front tire,I dont think it matters.A wide tire floats through mud and a narrow one floats less.All will pack with mud unless you had a 3wd 3wheeler. Blkwaters,realtors,super swampers,excavators are best in the mud.Dennis kirk sells BIG atv tires that have tractor tread,says for agricultural use only.I think they have 2" lugs.
Goodluck with whatever you choose.

PowerTrike
10-07-2002, 09:38 PM
:D
see my username picture <

Kenda Scorpions-I love em' great in the mucky stuff!