PDA

View Full Version : I need some .22LR rifle suggestions.

Mr_RPM
04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I have been wanting a .22 for a while and today shot a BUNCH from a ruger 10/22 and a marlin model 60.
both awesome guns.
But im looking for something thats not semi-auto, im sick of getting simple jamms with cheap ammo and even my buddies semi-auto shot guns have a small jam all to often.

I also dont like dealing with clips/magazines. they are jjust not ideal for my type of target shooting. i like self contained ammo like the marlin model 60 or my 12 gauge.

soo.....
what is a CHEAP, non semi-auto, with self contained mag tube, .22lr.
I was thinking lever action or pump action, but i cant find much as i look online.
thinking less then 200$....
possible?

I just LOVE how 50 rounds is like 2.50$
My 12 gauge gets old in that department. lol

Thorpe
04-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Dont sell out the semi auto idea just yet... I have a Savage 64g with a Simmons 3x9x40 on it, and its dead nuts accurate, and can go through 500+ rounds of Federal 22 ammo, with only 1 or 2 hiccups... Sweet gun for $150 dollar price range... (not my gun in pic, but close to it, add a scope) What brand ammo where you shooting? My savage hates winchester garbage, and remington crap... Federal, CCI, and Aguila all cycle very well... Also, how well were the guns cleaned? At about 600 rounds in a day, mine gets gummed up and needs to be cleaned. 22's are notoriously dirty little suckers...

Chazz of Blades
04-14-2011, 12:05 AM
I love my bolt action savage.

and $2.50?

You can get a box of 500 something cheapies for like 10 bucks.

Mr_RPM
04-14-2011, 12:07 AM
both guns were probably dirty as they are not mine and one friend with the marlin is not really a big shooter and the gun stays at his fathers barn/Cabin
and the 10/22 was dirty just from looking at it.
we were using Winchester, Federal, and Remington ammo.

every "jam" i speak of is the gun just did not cycle properly. With a manual action thats never going to happen unless something is wrong or actually "jammed" up.
I can understand keeping the gun clean and learning what ammo the gun likes would keep those problems to a minimum, but unless the semi-autos are cheaper i think i want a manual action.
Just no excuses for reliability. What if the gun is dropped and gets dirty and I cant clean it, but need to use it.

i find it fun working the action on my pump 12 gauge and my dads lever action 30-30.

Thorpe
04-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Yeah... When they get dirty, they wont cycle, feed or eject worth crap... I have a Savage 17hmr in bolt action, and the 22 in semi auto... For a 22, the semi auto rocks... 17 hmr is a bit more on the spendy side (for rimfire)... IDK... Get whatever feels best in your hands... Just curious, but when would you "need to use it" with a 22? Zomie chipmunks and squirrels up there in Michigan???

Mr_RPM
04-14-2011, 12:48 AM
IDK, im just a bit weird, to me guns need to be rock solid for reliability. when I pull the trigger id like it to fire, no matter what.
I guess theres no reason to have a super solid 22. But if there where zombies id take one with me, light weight gun and ammo, enough power to get to their BRAINS and accurate enough at distance.

but aside from the zombie thing, having a reliable gun is just something I like, its a tool. and as most of us know good reliable tools beat junk tools anyday.

doesn't mean im cutting out semi-auto completely though. seems like semi-autos are easier to find and cheaper.
Im thinking about going to my local gun shop and dunhams and seeing what they have. If theres anything in a popular name brand for less then 150 bucks i might just grab it right then.

Thorpe
04-14-2011, 12:59 AM
I agree with the reliability issue... Just not sure you will ever find "rock solid" reliabilty in a 22. Between dirty guns, and crappy ammo, it might just not go BANG everytime... Sounds like you need a AK-47 if you want to throw it in mud, and still have it shoot! See youtube link! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBsTbeKcVdQ&feature=related (no, thats not me!)

Mr_RPM
04-14-2011, 01:19 AM
oh yeah, ak-47 is definitely on my list. they are just a tad expensive for me right now and the ammo is expensive at that.

hmmm...i guess i dont really know much about .22s
i guess im expecting them to be as reliable as a 12 gauge or something.
Guess I should lower those expectations lol.

tri again
04-14-2011, 01:50 AM
I got back into reloading etc since we got the farm.
Had almost every type of 22
but everyone said 10/22 is the way to go so I got one.
Ran 800 rounds thru it just to see, all different stuff, cheapest
avail most likely and cleaned it only out
of sheer embarresment. (can't seem to spell that word)

It never missed a beat. Got it (well) used with a little surface rust.
Maybe I was just lucky.

Marlin Glenfield 60? tube fed has the tiniest thread spring for the ejector
and I could never count on it to work right even with new parts.

There is also nothing like dad's 1934 Marlin lever 39a.
It actually comes in half with a single take down screw. Pretty heavy chunk of american iron for sure.
I wish I could find my old single shot bolt action. Seems like it weighed about 2 lbs.

Now I want a single shot 38/357 since they're so fun to reload.
I have one recipe that will actually land a slug INTO a plastic drinking
cup full of sand at 40 yards so you can actually pour it out and almost
reload that slug.

Ahhh the things we find to do when the weather won't quit.

SN- I spent some time on the phone with the IMR powder guy and he said most
22's that say super, speedy, ultra etc etc are the ones that come off the line
when the machines are in questionable calibration.

The best and more expensive are the low speed target loads.

Chazz of Blades
04-14-2011, 04:20 AM
Atatatata.

I had a 10/22 Tactical, all dressed out by Tapco, nice, nice gun.

Shooting CCI ammunition, it'd jam about every ten rounds. Was a very unreliable firearm, especially for the supposedly solid 10/22. Yes it had been completely cleaned, and had been shot the appropriate amount of time to get it broke in.

But anyway, I can accurately fire my Savage bolt action almost as quick as my friend can throw the same number of rounds all over a target with his Marlin sem-auto.

I've probably fired over 15,000 rounds or more out of this Savage, it was cleaned every few thousand rounds for a long while, and it has never had any issues with not firing, jammed, rounds sticking, nothing. The only problem was the magazing from the factory would throw rounds out, because the ends weren't bent enough, it was a simple fix with some pliers.

Slingblade
04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I have a 10/22 stainless and just like dr.joe mines been very reliable, and I've shot every kind of ammo, I had a few issues with some cheap aftermarket mags but that was it.

What about the Henry lever action? I don't own one but have a friend who does, for iron sight shooting they are just fun.

I'd love to have an old American made Browning lever, even the Jap made ones were decent guns.

I've always discounted Savage, but after being educated on them, they are quite possibly the best gun made for the money. I want a heavy barrel gun with thumb hole stock, prob 22-250, Savage will probably be my choice.

Jerm1179
04-14-2011, 10:46 AM
if you get an semi auto..the only one id get is a 10/22 i screwed up and got a marlin.....im not a fan.......i also have a remington 572 pump.....awesome little gun..but your getting away from the "cheap" side of it....but as with most things, you get what you pay for.

Thorpe
04-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I've always discounted Savage, but after being educated on them, they are quite possibly the best gun made for the money.

I have 3 Savages. 7mm rem mag 110 with the accu trigger, 17hmr with accu, and the little 22 w/o accu... They make some really nice, really straight shooting guns... I love all 3 of them...

JayBone
04-14-2011, 11:34 AM

This is what i have minus the scope. I like it, but being in NJ i really can't be whipping it out all times of the day and blow off rounds. ha ha NJ blows.

My dad has a lever action 10/22. It's great for squirrles.

Jerm1179
04-14-2011, 11:41 AM
i have an old 30/30 savage. she aint pretty but its a good gun and my neice hunts with a 243 savage bolt action...never had any issues either

Texaskev
04-14-2011, 12:13 PM
The 10/22 and the Marlin 60 are both very good weapons. Like has been said above, 22's MUST be kept clean. They leave a LOT of unburned powder in the action. I have had both for many years, and I will tell you this: Remington brand 22 ammo is junk..........More misfires than fires. I shoot CCI and Federal only for the 22. Both of the above rifles are very accurate, fairly inexpensive, and durable. But, every time you shoot some rounds, you must break the weapons down and clean them well!

Mr_RPM
04-14-2011, 01:53 PM
The henry .22 is what I want, but they seem to hover around 260-350+ $ range.

Thorpe
04-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Like has been said above, 22's MUST be kept clean. They leave a LOT of unburned powder in the action. I have had both for many years, and I will tell you this: Remington brand 22 ammo is junk..........More misfires than fires. I shoot CCI and Federal only for the 22.

Glad to hear! Thought it was "just me" for awhile there!

Blizzard420
04-14-2011, 04:00 PM
I have an early 20's .22 cal LR Cooey, Very reliable little bolt action repeater, tube under the barrel, been in the family long time.Originally Military I think........Never saw another one though......

4cylinders
04-14-2011, 09:43 PM
hey, rossi winchester copy pump. pmc zapper ammo from the gun shows, works great, burns clean.

250r_doverdemon
04-14-2011, 09:50 PM
dont sell out the 10/22 yet id buy one anywday of the week! keep it clean and its fine if you want a lever try to fing an old browning..my uncle has one and shoots toothpicks in half at 50 yrds with a 10$ scope..

code200k
04-15-2011, 12:13 AM
i got a Marlin 795 scoped,only seen about 700 rounds and only needed one cleaning..main reason i bought it was ammo price.next gun is a 870 12gauge

smokinwrench
04-15-2011, 12:34 AM
I've had my 10/22 since guessing 1982, I bet it hasn't misfired 10 rounds in 20-30 thousand rounds and it very rarely gets cleaned.

If you want 100% accurate buy the Ruger 22 bolt action, my dad has one it is a sweet gun made for competition.

UncleBubbles
04-21-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm on the 10/22 bandwagon, my dad has had one forever and as long as it's clean, it'll do just fine. I can hit a soda can at 100 yards with it, easily.

Grizzlypeg
04-21-2011, 11:59 PM
I like a CZ bolt action. With a bolt it cycles any ammo and wrings the most accuracy out of it.

I was thinking about the tube fed guns, and the Henry lever is probably about the cheapest out there, but I don't have any experience with them. I like a detachable magazine, makes filling it and removing it easy. You can keep a loaded mag in your pocket.

I also have a 10/22, but as mentioned, you have to keep it clean, and it might not be so fussy with some ammo.

ctk
04-23-2011, 11:14 PM
I got a ruger carbine .22 nice gun shoots good

Slingblade
04-24-2011, 12:42 AM
"I like a CZ bolt action."

The last gun I bought was a CZ 527 American 223 cal. and I absolutely love it. I put an inexpensive Burris 3x9x40 on it and it is dead nuts at 100+ yds. The single set trigger is nice, it's probably the most accurate gun I've owned.

Never seen one in a .22 but I bet I'd like it.

Midnite_rider
04-25-2011, 04:05 PM
I have a Ruger 10/22 that I have had since I was 13 years old. I am now 46 and it still shoots like the day it was new(as long as you keep it semi clean inside). It has had thousands of rounds through it over the years. It is now wearing a camo taped stock and a silver red dot sight. I did have a trigger job done on it about 18 years ago. You can really tell it if you shoot it next to a new one. It is very smooth and deadly accurate. I would not trade it for another 22 of any kind or price. I have an old model 34 Remington that is very old. It is a bolt action with a tube feed. it will shoot any kind of shell you put in it. But my money will always be on the 10/22.

I also have a Savage 30-06 with the accu trigger. I also learned the same lesson that someone above mentioned. Savage makes a great gun, they just don't spend the bucks on the finish like a Rem or Win. Mine is not pretty.... composite stock and the finish is not a shiny blue ot black. But it shoots soooo good. The money was spent on the working parts not the outer beauty. That is all that matters to me. I didn't buy it to look at, I bought it to shoot.

darrel632
04-27-2011, 05:28 PM
If you can find a remington Nylon 66 or Mohawk 10c you've got a winner I can't remember the last misfire either gun has had in 35 years one monts a 4X Tasco the other an aimpoint 3000 I'll shoot anything but straight lead bullets without issue The 10c will cycle on just long hollow points most of the time (CCI) probably the best guns I've ever owned other than a match grade Anschuntz 22.

MagicJames
04-29-2011, 12:43 AM
If you want something Accurate and reliable You're gonna want to go bigger than 22LR maybe 22 mag or 22 HMR. I've never seen or heard of anyone shoot anything accurately over 50 yards with a 22 LR.

I have a 10/22 and i probably have put 2 - 3000 rounds through it. Sometimes it likes cheap ammo, sometimes it gets fussy. You have to remember that even guns that are built not to jam and built for reliability break down or jam sometimes.
Truly it comes down to preference, and if that isn't it, then it boils to how big your pocket is.

If you're really wanting a 22 lr that will shoot without hiccups buy a breach action single shot. They can be had for as little as $100

plastikosmd
04-30-2011, 01:45 AM
"I've never seen or heard of anyone shoot anything accurately over 50 yards with a 22 LR"

Remingtion 40x with unertl 16x programmer, Remingtion match eley 0.5" or less, 5 shot groups at 100 yards, expensive tho at 14 bucks for 50 rds, will group 0.75 with winchester super x for cheaper

five holes in a dime or a quarter at 100 aint bad for a 22

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/b7c01263.jpg

MagicJames
05-04-2011, 08:43 AM
"I've never seen or heard of anyone shoot anything accurately over 50 yards with a 22 LR"

Remingtion 40x with unertl 16x programmer, Remingtion match eley 0.5" or less, 5 shot groups at 100 yards, expensive tho at 14 bucks for 50 rds, will group 0.75 with winchester super x for cheaper

five holes in a dime or a quarter at 100 aint bad for a 22

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/b7c01263.jpg

I'm talking non competitively. I just held a Remington 700 chambered in .308 that kept a .204 inch group at 200 yards. But that's something that is outside of the norm. The average person will not be shooting $14 boxes of 22 lr (in 50 bullet increments) Because something is going to run in front of him/her at 20 yards and they're gonna miss by 6 inches

transam8405
05-04-2011, 01:40 PM
I have got a mossburg .22, it is bolt action and tube fed, it is a great rifle for a great price.