PDA

View Full Version : Text message a phone from PC - safely??

Dirtcrasher
04-16-2011, 11:58 PM
I use to send a text over the net to an "EX" with Verizon. Worked great, never a hitch; Kept the boss off my arse over texting.

I am not a huge text fan but sometimes it serves the purpose. My current phone no longer has the ability to text nor can I pay for that service.

ANYHOW, I'm dealing with someone who now has AT+T for a carrier.

I have googled and found numerous places to send a text to her number and that carrier but I don't want her number exposed to the world or her receiving a bunch of crap. I'm not sure which site to trust........

If your aware of a safe way to text over the net, please direct me to the non-spamming website.

Thanks for any help!! :naughty:

mrmello
04-17-2011, 12:19 AM
simple have the person send a text to your email address. Insted of a number enter the email address. Every phone has an "email" so to say, then you can reply through your email.

Dirtcrasher
04-17-2011, 12:21 AM
^ Well, then they have her email address. The one I us to use was always great, I need a new one thats tried and tested...........

TheRealFatShady
04-17-2011, 12:22 AM
I use that email thing all the time. I can receive a text message directly from an email address and respond to it.

No one else should get the number, except it will be in your Sent/Outbox and inbox in your email.

Dirtcrasher
04-17-2011, 12:33 AM
^ Thanks Ryan. My concern is the sites say "Send a text to a phone number or email for free, instantly!!" so I just fear her email or # would be exposed.

I don't want to spam a new chicky chick: Rather, rhymes with spam :D

As I reread your post, it sounds like just my email would be exposed which is fine. How do you text a phone from your email?

mrmello
04-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Your Mis unserstanding. her phone actually has an email address that if you send a message from your email to her address it will come up as a text message.

the email of her address will be her number @ her phone carrier.

For example 1234567890@att.net

It will show on her phone as a text and when she texts you email address you will get it in your email. Very secure

MonroeMike
04-17-2011, 01:21 AM
http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&solutionId=KB63037

mrmello
04-17-2011, 01:25 AM
Lol Mike is the link king!!!

That is exactly what I was trying to say, thanks Mike!

BTW do you just have thousands of links saved and ready to fire? lol

Dirtcrasher
04-17-2011, 01:33 AM
Thanks guys, please keep your thoughts coming and or heed my concerns. I'm sure you can understand......

Mike is the best, back years ago he just started firing off great links to allot of fantastic information.

Thank you all and thank you MIKE!!

mrmello
04-17-2011, 01:37 AM
The way in the link would be the most secure. The address would only be in your email so you should be golden there.

Thorpe
04-17-2011, 09:50 AM
DC-- As stated above, is how I would go about it as well...

Mr_RPM
04-17-2011, 06:54 PM
My friend uses yahoo.com to text all of his friends, he texts me ALL the time and I have never had a problem and he has never discussed a problem.
I once used it to text my dad and hes never had a problem, and he would say because he hates texts lol.

so if you have an email at yahoo.com, that seems to be pretty solid.

Dirtcrasher
04-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot!

chrisand4
04-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Use google voice, you even get your own number, you can text and make calls for free.

JayBone
04-19-2011, 09:19 AM
I use yahoo onced they are added as a contact you can txt. I also have a work phone (only Keeps the extra bills down) and am not allowed to get txt's, but for some odd reason they say not txting, but refuse to turn off the service. wtf?

playasridebmx
04-19-2011, 06:18 PM
yahoo actually has some sort of text type thing if u have an account ive used it to text my wife a few times when ive lost my phone

Gearheadtom
04-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I use msn, and you can enter a phone number when you add someone to your contacts list, so you can text someone's phone using that.