PDA

View Full Version : Anuone know anything about diesel VW Jettas?

UncleBubbles
04-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Title pretty much covers it. Any major problems or defects? Any years to stay away from? Thanks.

dcreel
04-27-2011, 11:41 PM
www.vwvortex.com is a really good site for info on vw's. I've really heard nothing but good about them. I know that they get great mileage. I also know they look great dumped in the weeds. VW also has a racing series using the turbo diesel cars.

http://image.eurotuner.com/f/10158267+w750+st0/eurp_0806_01_z+1992_volkswagen_jetta_turbo_diesel+ front_view.jpg

trikenut3
04-28-2011, 07:51 AM
A member on here has a buggy powered by a vw diesel he took to Invasion . Buggy ran great !

jb2wheels
04-28-2011, 08:13 AM
I don't own a VW and here's why:

I looked at late model (98+) VWs while shopping to replace a totalled honda in my family. This would be a car for my son in college away from home. I talked to a handfull of guys at work and another that works with my dad who own VWs. They all had the same type of story - great car BUT... fun to drive BUT... nice looking BUT... great features BUT...

And the "BUT" was always the same - constant repairs. Not all the same (electrical issues, cooling issues, HVAC issues, window issues, etc) but always something needed to be fixed.

My interenet research backed this up.

I really wanted to get a VW for the reasons stated - great features, great styling, fun to drive, etc. However, once I thought about who gets to do all those little repairs (me) I bought another Honda.

Like I said - I don't own a VW so my opinion is hearsay.

fabiodriven
04-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I had an 88 Jetta GLI that someone had given to me. Great car BUT-

Almost every electrical devise on the car didn't work when I got it. The car ran, but the lights, wipers, rear defrost, etc, etc, all had issues. There were so many electrical issues that I went into it assuming that there must have been a massive electrical issue. I was wrong. As I got into it I found out that each electrical problem was an isolated incident. For the most part is was dirty switch contacts, bad switches, or dirty connections. I ended up going through each problem one by one until they were all fixed. I was appalled that one vehicle could have so many electrical issues.

BGP
04-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Had a '95 Golf Turbo Diesel.

ALL wheel bearings, water pump, main oil seal and clutch before 70 000 kms (44k miles). Belt tensioner every year. Glow plugs and bus every year. Fire in the steering column while in the fast lane on the highway during rush hour---> now THAT, is a rush!!! Wiring loom not routed properly at factory... Rear struts, discs and caliper are always messed up. Body panels rust very easily on that generation. Oh! P H U C K I N G gutless in warm-ish weather! Wouldn't peel the skin off pudding if you dumped the clutch sideways while on the governor!!! VERY aggravating!... come to think of it, that's why it had teeth marks on the steering wheel...

In other words, as stated above: "they look great dumped in the weeds" if you don't do your own wrenching, if you do, they're ok.

fabiodriven
04-28-2011, 04:33 PM
ALL wheel bearings, water pump,Rear struts, discs and caliper are always messed up.

Come to think of it, mine had all those same issues as well.

cattle-dog
04-28-2011, 05:08 PM
thanks fabio you could have told me that before i let my dad buy a 03 vw turbo diesal last week lol

chrisand4
04-28-2011, 08:42 PM
My best friend has a 2002 Jetta TDI, great car, runs good, and great gas mileage. But (seems to be a ton of those in this thread) it is very tiny inside, and for a 6'2" guy it was really just too small. It also had mechanical problems. The interior also seemed to be junk, every little piece in there that could break, did. He's selling it, just bought a Buick.

big specht
04-29-2011, 08:10 AM
I had a 86 na1.6 golf good car 40+ mpg runs on anything oil/fuel . I had the normal repairs brakes,struts,wheel bearings. I had no real electrical problems with mine but it was a older one the newer one are a differant story

UncleBubbles
04-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Huh, so they aren't the greatest. If they really need those repairs in such a short period of time, I'm not really interested anymore. Looking for reliable, and mileage. Comfort not so much because I will never be doing any long hauls with it. Any suggestions under 5k?