PDA

View Full Version : Idiot selling Tecate tank for $599.00 on Feebay

thestud25
04-29-2011, 10:37 AM
This tank has already been listed in another thread on here, but he has it re-listed with a Buy It Now of $599.00!! I hope everyone reads and understands that this "Restored" tank has been painted, and we all know that plastic tanks and paint end up looking like a 17 year old's pimply face in about 2 months.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110680385920&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AUS%3A1123

thestud25
04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Here is the message that I sent:

You do realize that painting a plastic tank will only result in the paint bubbling and ultimately peeling off, right? Gas vapors seep through the plastic tank and get caught under the paint, then the paints bubbles and the "Restored" tank then looks like crap. That is why manufacturers put stickers with holes in them on the tanks, so that the vapors can escape without ruining the stickers. However, not even that prevents all bubbling. I just thought that I would let you know before you sell someone a $600 tank.

~Jonathan

hang&rattle
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Good thread Stud. This'll maybe help e-bay sellers to renown an iota of honesty, & let them know there are knowledgeable people looking to protect from scammers, or in his case, ignorant sellers. These are the types of sales that need to be forwarned to folk. He has the right to try to make a buck, and people have the right to protect buyers from poorly educated sellers.

honda250sx
04-29-2011, 11:27 AM
I too have messaged this guy. His response to my comment was..."Most people never put fuel in these tanks, they are for show purpose".

HuffieVA
04-29-2011, 11:40 AM
His response to my comment was..."Most people never put fuel in these tanks, they are for show purpose".

I'd ask him where he suggests they put the fuel, then politely suggest where he could stick his tank...

I mean you CAN seal the tank and paint and intern not get bubbling, but again, that's not restored, its actually comparable to using chrome paint on a bumper

Bretmd94
04-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Yikes, I didn't realize it was painted the first time i saw it.

thestud25
04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys. I would be very upset if I spent this type of coin, and either not know what happens to painted tanks, or missed the part where it states that it is painted. Just getting the info out so no one makes that mistake.

honda250sx
04-29-2011, 01:10 PM
I was recently talking with Hagen from Germany about these tanks being sealed. He said he is putting the tank in a vibratory tumbler with crushed glass on the inside of the tank. The crushed glass roughs up the inside of the tank something fierce. Then he seals the inside of the tank with POR15 tank sealer and paints the tank Kawi green. He has been running this tank on his 86 for sometime now. Says it works great and looks awesome. Those of us who have seen his craftsmanship know this cant be BS.

hang&rattle
04-29-2011, 01:28 PM
I was recently talking with Hagen from Germany about these tanks being sealed. He said he is putting the tank in a vibratory tumbler with crushed glass on the inside of the tank. The crushed glass roughs up the inside of the tank something fierce. Then he seals the inside of the tank with POR15 tank sealer and paints the tank Kawi green. He has been running this tank on his 86 for sometime now. Says it works great and looks awesome. Those of us who have seen his craftsmanship know this cant be BS.
I agree, it can be done, but wasn't with the tank advertised above. And it is not a restored tank. A restored tank is sanded and polished like this (especially page 6):
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?73033-Gas-tank-polishing-Fix-your-old-faded-and-oxidized-plastic-tanks-to-like-NEW!/page6

JayBone
04-29-2011, 01:31 PM
How do the A-rabs chrome paint everything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oi_v69lq6s&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Huffy cracked me up.

250rmanfmf
04-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Just found a source for a aluminum tank for 86-87 tecates and its not a whole lot more than this renobs tank, it looks sweet and looks pretty close to stock. Best part is its paintable. I know that you can also restore plastic tanks by making a fiberglass skin that you actually apply on the tank. It seals it and you can paint it.

Tyler