PDA

View Full Version : Sick of lowballers!

jays375
05-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Seems like these days when you sell something you are flooded with lowballers and scammers.Ive' had a few things advertised on Craigslist lately and it is starting to really get to me.My adds clearly state firm on the price.They still have to give you the stupid offer and say cash.Like they are making the deal of the century.Like you should get on your knees and thank them for taking the item off your hands.The other thing is everytime I take the time to send better pictures never a response.That one kills me everytime.Makes you wonder if they got them.I got early up on a Saturday and washed up a machine,rode it the day before.Snapped a bunch of nice pics and sent them.The guy lived over 4 hours away.This was all done before 8:30.He was all excited to find the machine he was looking for but wanted to be sure.Waited all day and never heard a response.Had a guy on the phone the other night that would not hang up.After I repeatedly told him no deal.Finally I got rude with the guy for him to hang up.The other good ones is the Saturday night 9'oclock calls from a intoxicated individual.Or the all seriuous Sunday night call after the item has been listed for a while.Seems like I always get the winners.

honda200xatc
05-01-2011, 08:36 PM
wow your dealing with the same people I am lol I listed my 86 200x on craigslist and I have people offering $400 "CASH" so now if someone offers a stupid price to me I dont respond and if they do eventually want to buy it, I wont sell it to them just because they did that. You need to state on your posting in big capital letters "FIRM ON PRICE, DONT ASK TO COME DOWN, NO TRADES" I found that this keeps the low ballers away

jays375
05-01-2011, 08:47 PM
A guy argued with me tonight about a trike.First he wanted me to drive two hours.Then he wanted better pictures so he could make a offer.Next he asked why I was selling it at such a good price.Said he found alot of stored machines also at good prices lately.Lastly he started laughing also.That is what made me write this post.

atc007
05-01-2011, 08:55 PM
While I do not consider myself a lowballer. I know a guy who parts on ebay for a living. He will call on everything,,if it's a 07 REV 800 sled for $4500 FIRM do not ask. He calls and offers $1800,. 2 times out of 10,,he buys the unit. They hang up on him,,then they call him 2-3 weeks later,and he has the cash. I am a dealer,we have to buy below market to make a profit. However I do not consider myself a lowballer. If you're doing this often,saying the word "cash" means we can come pay for it,,as opposed to the people who are buying cigarettes and dogfood with thier paycheck,and have to go get a LOAN.. Meaning a wait,and you sitting on it for the time it takes his bank. Theres two sides to every coin,I have to hang up on the same idiots,,not defending them. But the old saying Money talks,bullmanure walks,,means something to ALOT of sellers! My thing here is,,asking wayyy too high of prices in the classified section,,then coming back on in a week,saying it's going in the scrap! 350X engines! Ahhh well ! JAy,,what are you selling? 250SX,or did you pull the trigger on that Tecate?

jays375
05-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Said no on the Tecate.That was another thing I forgot about.The guy told me the machine was in perfect working order.He begged me to trade,3 to 4 emails during the day.Then that many more at night.This went on for a few days.Next thing he says is he will put the swing-arm bearings in and clean it up for me.This was a machine that needed nothing.Wonder what else was wrong.Next he was trying to trade me all kinds of stuff.Finally I said just come with the cash.Never heard from him again.Sorry to say if you deliberately call and offer a ridiculous price you are a lowballer.Even if that is how you make a living.You tried making me a low offer atc007 didn't you?Then you said it was a fair price after I said no to your offer on the 250SX.

atc007
05-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Do you still have the SX?

swifty
05-01-2011, 09:17 PM
i sell on craigslist everyday some days its funny just to hear the stupid stuff and others i want to pull my hair out! heres some good ones you might be use to
ill be there friday....and its monday
will you hold it??? ahh no
im on the way.....5 hrs later you call them and they dont answer:twisted:
or one of the bests 3.05 am dude texts me about a $30 pair of used tires then again at 3.30 am, really does it seem like 3.30 in the morning is a good time to call about used tires??:wondering never seems to amaze me anymore..

jays375
05-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Yes.Never had this much trouble selling something.When I sell something it is a good item,or will state the problem it has.The other 250SX I recently sold had a third gear problem and clearly stated that.First guy that came to look at didn't care.

atc007
05-01-2011, 09:33 PM
It is CLEARLY a gorgeous machine. And I am sure that you are a great seller. No doubt actually,after speaking with you. However,, YOU, have proved my offer was MORE than fair. It is advertised on the WORLDS largest, best 3 wheeler website and other venues. And you still own it. There are 2 sides to every coin,,and it's really difficult to see the other side when you're under it!! And ED looks like a million bucks,,he is doing INCREDIBLE. Saw him on his bike while we were riding last week.

jays375
05-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Everybody on this website and another said price was fair.There has been two on eBay locally in comparable condition for more money.Good to hear about Ed,think he made Daytona.Okay we are getting off track on this post.Let's hear about other members dealings with lowballers.

portland250r
05-02-2011, 12:18 AM
a good way to fool lowballers is to put the asking price 100 or 200 more than your looking to sell for. then unstead of 3200$ they will say ill buy it for 3000$. if they want anyless then pass them by and keep it if it dont sell.

dksix
05-02-2011, 11:42 AM
I pass on most ad's that list FIRM with the price. Not that I want to low ball but I do want to be able to bargain with people when I go look at something. If someone has something that is worth (IMO) $500 to $700 and they have it priced at $700, I'm going to offer closer to the bottom end of the value starting off. In my mind, when I see firm I consider the price to be non negotiable- $700 means $700, not $675. I list my stuff with a price and invite offers, if the offer is too low, I say NO. I've never understood why people get mad when someone tries to low ball them, just say no. I come from a long line of traders, though. I don't ask about something I'm not willing to buy and I don't bother people unless I have the means to buy. A friend of mine just had a guy drive up here from Florida to look at 3 CT90's he had listed on CL. He posted pics, a good description and a price. The guy drove 10 hours, saw them just as he had been told and offered him $200 less than asking price. The offer was turned down and he went home empty handed. If I drive 10 hours, I'm taking something home with me. I've never had a problem selling on forums or CL. I've turned allot of offers down but never gotten mad about it. When I was doing gun shows, it was much worse. I'd have something sitting on the table priced at $2500 and people come by and pick it up, look it over then drop it on 2 or 3 other guns setting it back down. Knowing the whole time they didn't have the money to buy it. I have asked for people to show me the money to pay for a bike or car before I let them test ride/drive it. I've made a couple of people made like that, lol.

Xpress
05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Craigslist is not the place to go to get top dollar out of your stuff, it's the place to go to get stuff at good prices, EVERYBODY low balls.

I have stated in many of my CL ads:

"PRICE IS FIRM. LOW BALLERS WILL BE REJECTED."

EXACTLY as you see it there, and yet people email me with low ball offers. You can only imagine where their emails get sent ;)

Now I do believe that if you put your stuff on CL, that you should not be asking a firm price, you should be willing to negotiate a fair price to the people that are seriously interested.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Ive sold a few items on CL over the past couple years. I have had the same experience with insulting lowball offers. ATC007: Sorry, but if i have an item that is worth say $3000 all day long and you call me or message me offering $1500, that is an insulting offer and that is the kind of offers that make me angry. I sold my farm tractor for $2500 firm last summer. This tractor was worth $3500 easy and I had no offers under my asking price. Sold it in 3 days to a buyer who was informed about what he was getting for the money and he happily paid my price. For the recorrd, the only things i have listed as FIRM on price was when my asking price was well below fair market value. If im selling something and asking well under market value, that price is the price, not a dime less..Other items I have sold I put in the ad that reasonable offers are considered. Key phrase here being REASONABLE OFFERS. Im all for a little bargaining and meeting in the middle but I dont consider 35, 50 or even 65% of asking price reasonable. When Im in the buyer position, I never offer someone half or less than what they ask, so long as their starting price is near what the machine is actually worth. SOme people have prices waaaaaayy high though. Most lowball offers dont even earn a reply from me, something else I also state in my ads.

atc007
05-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Why you singling me out?? If you have an item that is worth $3000 all day long. I wouldn't offer you half! What did I do to you? lol,, this thread,while I do understand it to a point,,really DOESN"T make sense.. When you advertise something,,,you want the MONEY!! You want it gone!! Out of your way,,IF YOU DO NOT,,YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ADVERTISED IT ,,,FOR SALE.. Then you are insulted when someone offers you,, MONEY ,for what you have for sale? IF it is not enough,,or "insulting" hang up on them,say no,,grow up,,move on.. Life is tough,life is not fair,,but the word ,,,NO,,rolls off the tongue pretty easy. AGAIN<< everyone is different,,but I have been wheeling and dealing all my life,I've seen it all,heard it all,and do have great defenses,and a reputation,that I simply won't put up with nonsesnse. But I just do not see this great big problem with saying.........NO, when their offer is not high enough.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-02-2011, 09:17 PM
ATC007: I aplogize for singling you out. No hard feelings I hope... My intent was to express to you how I would feel if I were the seller in your example of offering 1800 for an 800 Rev that was advertised for 4500 firm (which is well south of half the asking price). Guess that was my way of saying that I would be firmly in that 8 out of 10 sellers that wouldnt go for it no way... You are right about people wanting to sell something to make some money and get it gone. But most people arent looking to give away the farm. I realize that sometimes people are desperate to sell something too. But you can get a feel for situations like that....

I guess my point is that I dont mind reasonable offers. But when the price is FIRM and a good deal to begine with, (well under market value) ridiculous lowball offers bug me as well.. When Im the buyer, I guess I try to have a little respect for people and their property. As that is the way I like to be treated as a seller. Call me old fashioned I guess...

atc007
05-02-2011, 09:35 PM
TOTALLY understand!! No,,this guy is frankly,,a lowballer!! HOWEVER, he makes a decent living doing exactly what I described. He calls me often ,,KNOWING ,,he will RARELY get a deal with me,,more lately as the markets been drying up.. Time goes by,,and people need money,,and as long as one a month or two bites,,he WILL keep doing it! He's prolly called or emailed you!! He's from Nichols NY. lol

jays375
05-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Ride-Red 250R described how I feel exactly.A ex-friend of mine will always lowball somebody or worse,even go look at something when he doesn't have the money.Needless to say we don't associate anymore after he burned me on a deal.He will need something someday.Now lets hear some of others dealings with lowballers.

Xpress
05-02-2011, 10:23 PM
^Somebody offered me $20 for my Tecate, crated and shipped.

dcreel
05-02-2011, 10:46 PM

Were you trying to sell it?

atc007
05-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Ride-Red 250R described how I feel exactly.A ex-friend of mine will always lowball somebody or worse,even go look at something when he doesn't have the money.Needless to say we don't associate anymore after he burned me on a deal.He will need something someday.Now lets hear some of others dealings with lowballers.

Why would he go look at something he cannot buy? That is plain Stupid,and harassment,,to waste someones time like that. Don't know anyone like that! Thought I'd seen Almost everything.

Chazz of Blades
05-03-2011, 01:09 AM

Yes, but according to you, you could get a mint Tecate for $40.

And what people don't understand is simple, there's NOTHING WRONG with an offer lower than asking price, but there's NOTHING RIGHT about making a STUPID offer!!!

Xpress
05-03-2011, 01:16 AM
^Now when did I say that?

Were you trying to sell it?

No, and never will, it has more value to me than money. I get attached to not-so-easy-to-find things...

Chazz of Blades
05-03-2011, 01:31 AM
*sigh*

Xpress, learn to take a bit of sarcasm, please?

You made some bullcrap claims, and the $20 offer was a sarcastic jest at your cost due to that.

Let it slide dude, let it be forgotten.

Goosefraba.....

Nevkilahonda3
05-03-2011, 03:23 AM
Selling stuff on CL is a real joke with all the lowballers and scammers not that you always get screwed I sold my 125 tri moto for triple what I paid for it not bad but I found the best way to sell(doesn't work for everyone) but if you live on a heavy traffic road put it at the curb I always get asking price. I'll be honest I'm not a lowerballer but I do make offers I feel are reasonable even if they say firm cause sometimes key word sometimes firm means they are despirate for money I actually bought the item for at least $200 less than their so called firm price but I'm a very aggresive and deceiving shopper cause everyon buyer wants a good deal it is you the seller that has to be smart and look through all the b.s JUST BE SMART!

Xpress
05-03-2011, 11:53 AM
*sigh*

Xpress, learn to take a bit of sarcasm, please?

You made some bullcrap claims, and the $20 offer was a sarcastic jest at your cost due to that.

Let it slide dude, let it be forgotten.

Goosefraba.....

You guys should learn to lighten up and not be hard asses all the time :lol:

250x
05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
My recent lowballer BS trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro:
1982 110 orig rear fenders with OEM flaps still in AWESOME condition. I told the guy 100.00 firm. He said he isn't paying anymore that 25 to 30 for something that old. So I told him without another 70-75 he isn't paying me at all and hung up, he has txt me about 3 million times to sell them to him cheaper. they are stock original fenders, in great shape, with OEM mud flaps in great shape. I thought 100 was more than a great price for them. Not high, not low, and plenty worth it for a buyer. he then offered me 35.00 today for the flaps. I told him the fenders and flaps are staying together, period. then he offered me 75 for the whole machine...lol i know its not a 1200.00 machine but its with a heck of alot more than 75 ..lol

Xpress
05-03-2011, 12:41 PM
^Call up your phone company and tell them to block that number if he's beginning to harass you. I had to do it one time. That is generally why I hate using my phone for deals like that :lol:

I'd pay a hundred bones for fenders that good..

250x
05-03-2011, 12:46 PM
almost anyone would. They are not getting any easier to find. his last txts, about 7 minutes ago was "I really want those fenders and mud flaps, is there anyway we could work something out, I don't have that much I can play with?"
I replied: "I am sure you can come up with 200.00 pretty easy for them, its not that much money"
He replied: "200? I thought you said 100.00"
I replied: " 300 firm is my final offer"
he replied: " 300, your nuts, they are only worth 50.00 tops"
I replied: " 400 or no deal"

lol, figured I should have some fun with him. I am the kind of guy with enough spite that even if he showed up with 200 cash, I would wait for him to get here and tell him to go piss off. It isn't about the money, its about the nature of the whole thing.

Midnite_rider
05-03-2011, 01:37 PM
You guys are funny...... I sell alot of crap on CL. I have always kinda considered it just 1 step from throwing it away. I look at cl everyday. Like reading the newspaper... except more interesting to me. I have been trying to get a storage building. My wife found one on CL that was about 70 miles away. The guy was asking $2200 for it. It was a good deal, about 3500 worth of building. She texted him and offered him $1500. He actually replied back with $1650. When I checked about getting it moved to my house, they wanted $500 to move it 75 miles. He texted her back and asked if she found someone to move it and did she still want it. She said yes but it was going to cost too much to move it. He asked her if the $1500 would work since the move was so much. I took over from that point. I offered him the $1500 and found a guy to move it for $300. Building delivered to my house last friday.... total cost $1800. My wife is a lowballer....LOL But the seller was happy and I am tickled.

Thorpe
05-03-2011, 01:46 PM
The thing that sucks with CL, is there is so much BS that goes along with it, nobody has any trust anymore too... Found a solid ES tank for $100 I wanted to put on my shelf, and dude was 100% unwilling to ship it. I had great communication with him, offered to pay what he asked, and even compensate him for the time and $ for shipping, and of course the shipping fees, and he told me to get bent... WTF?? I just really wanted the tank, and wasnt likely to drive 1000 miles to get it!

rdlsz24
05-03-2011, 01:51 PM
I list things for what I want to sell them for, or best offer, but I always get bombarded with low ball offers the first day, and I reply to those to wait and see if I still have it after a week. I don't think any trike I've listed on there has lasted that long, but I also price them to sell

Rob

3wheely
05-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't make offers when the price says firm however I will let them know if they decide to reduce the price to give me a shout. I think pricing something as firm is risky and scares buyers away. Just my opinion. Better off pricing high and taking offers. People like to feel they got a good deal.

atc007
05-03-2011, 02:54 PM
almost anyone would. They are not getting any easier to find. his last txts, about 7 minutes ago was "I really want those fenders and mud flaps, is there anyway we could work something out, I don't have that much I can play with?"
I replied: "I am sure you can come up with 200.00 pretty easy for them, its not that much money"
He replied: "200? I thought you said 100.00"
I replied: " 300 firm is my final offer"
he replied: " 300, your nuts, they are only worth 50.00 tops"
I replied: " 400 or no deal"

lol, figured I should have some fun with him. I am the kind of guy with enough spite that even if he showed up with 200 cash, I would wait for him to get here and tell him to go piss off. It isn't about the money, its about the nature of the whole thing.

Too tough!! I LOVE it!! Wonder how far you are,I would buy them.!

jays375
05-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Had the worst one ever tonight.The email reply I recieved is just unbelievable.I actually would like to meet this guy after what he wrote.He used alot of 4 letter words,probally the extent of his vocabulary.Thing that kills me I was more than honest with the guy.I put up a trailer for sale and got flooded with calls.They way I do my dealings is first come first serve.Won't remove add until title is signed over.The second guy that called wanted it so bad he offered me $150 more than advertised price.So a lowballer comes along and offered a ridiculous cash offer.I emailed him back and said was offered more than asking price.So that is when I recieved my nasty-gram via email.I was also offered full body massage or tattoo for my trike.

RIDE-RED 250r
05-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Had the worst one ever tonight.The email reply I recieved is just unbelievable.I actually would like to meet this guy after what he wrote.He used alot of 4 letter words,probally the extent of his vocabulary.Thing that kills me I was more than honest with the guy.I put up a trailer for sale and got flooded with calls.They way I do my dealings is first come first serve.Won't remove add until title is signed over.The second guy that called wanted it so bad he offered me $150 more than advertised price.So a lowballer comes along and offered a ridiculous cash offer.I emailed him back and said was offered more than asking price.So that is when I recieved my nasty-gram via email.I was also offered full body massage or tattoo for my trike.

Did that come with the "happy ending"??? LOLOL!

jays375
05-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Didn't say if it did.Might be nice have one of those about now.

bkm
05-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Lowballers don't bother me, but what pisses me off more than anything are Prick Teasers. Guys flood you wanting stuff. You take the time to box it up, burn your $4.00 gas to get a shipping quote, only for them to say they don't want it anymore or you never hear from them again. Or you try and be a nice guy and hold something for someone, while three potential buyers move on to the next guy, only to have the guy you held the stuff for back out.

Oh well its the price of doing business I guess.

Bustos82
05-16-2011, 01:03 AM
+100 for the post above....

Chazz of Blades
05-16-2011, 01:41 AM
Heh, I had a trike loaded up in the truck, drove a half hour away to the place where we were going to meet, and he never showed, never answered his phone, or text back. Was going to trade a very nice trike for an '88 F250.

I burnt a LOT of gas driving this thing up there, and burnt a LOT of gas coming back with it too.

k00leo
05-16-2011, 08:00 AM
The one dealing I had which made me laugh the most was when i was trying to sell/trade my atc250r. I had the bike listed at 2500obo and one guy e-mailed me offering $1500. He said he couldnt afford $2500 because how much gas cost. He only lived 45 min away.... hardly $1000 in gas.