PDA

View Full Version : I hit the ground runnin, or should I say with the wheels spinnin n throttle pinned

mcgahen88
05-12-2011, 07:46 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Matt, I'm 22 and I'm new to 3ww, as well as 3 wheelers all together, but I really want to share how I began this little obsession I have now lol It all started back around February of this year when I got taxes back and convinced my wife to let me use some of it to buy a "toy" lol. I've owned a 4 wheeler and go carts and that sort of stuff before but never a trike. So I looked and looked ........ and looked until finaly I found an 84 atc200m that was within my $4-500 price range. I talked to the guy and the next day I took the rear seats out of my wife's minivan and headed to Rochester lol. I got the 200m home and was impressed with it right away,the thing was a mule, it was almost imposable to get stuck, and that first day riding I caught the 3 wheeler fever lol. About a month later I was talking to a friend of mine about a 85 atc110 he had. I told him I wanted to buy it from him for my stepsons. Long story short I did some wheeling and dealing and got it off him for about $40! And it runs good, needs a little work but over all an amazing deal. A couple weeks or so after that I was riding around with my wife in the country and spotted a 84 200es big red on a farm rotting away in the weeds. I asked the lady who answered the door if she was interested in selling it, she said yeah so I pulled my wallet out and realised I only had like $36 on me. She said give me $30 and its yours....... $30!!!!! It was pretty rough but I was able to take a bunch of parts off it for my 200m, way more than 30 bucks worth. The following week I sold it on Craigslist for $120 to a guy completely restoring a big red. After a little while I was starting to get board with the 200m, it was a great starter trike, but I wanted something a little sportier, so I was back to hunting on craigslist again. I finally found a guy that was willing to trade me an 86 atc 250sx for my 200m and an oxy acetylene welding set. That was about a month or so ago now, and its my baby lol. But I still think I want to go even sportier. I've been doing a lot looking on CL, and reading on 3ww and a couple days ago I had the opportunity to trade straight up for a 350x that is a basket case, all I would have needed to buy was a head. For financial reasons, and lack of proper tools and skill as far as things like adjusting the timing, torque wrenches,etc. etc. ( i do know quite a bit about small engines, but I'm not a mechanic) I turned it down and will most likely regret it for the rest of my life. Anyways, I was thinking about trading for a 200x , but I'm on the fence about that right now too. What do you guys think, should I keep the sx or trade for the 200x? In the last few months I've spent countless hours on the computer and out side with the wheelers riding, wrenching, researching, trading and learning primarily about Honda atc's, I've downloaded 5 of the Honda manuals you guys have provided on the sight directly to my phone, but I still have a lot to learn lol Any suggestions, tips, trics etc. would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this was so long and thank you so much for reading. I look forward to any feedback and also getting to know some fellow enthusiasts. Thanks!!

Midnite_rider
05-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Its just a matter of what you like.... wrenching or riding. I actually like both. I need one to ride while wrenching on another. I wish I could run up on those $30 deals. I really like the look of the SX's. I tried to buy one a while ago but it was too far gone for the cash he was asking. He sent me a video of him riding it. Motor sounded good, it just didn't have a front tire. He was riding on the rim and a small shred of rubber that used to be a tire. it was awful, and he wanted $650 for it I think. Needless to say I passed.

Welcome to the site, you will find more than enough information and opinions here!

R-tifacts
05-13-2011, 03:12 PM
welcome to the site, you will find all you need here

thestud25
05-13-2011, 03:27 PM
I personally like the 250sx better than the 200x. They are work horses, but sporty enough to be a great trail bike. I would recommend you find someone with a 200x and ride it first before you dump the SX. There are plenty of people on here in the NY area. Just put out a feeler about the 200X and I am sure someone would let you take theirs for a test ride.

Welcome to the Addiction!!!

mcgahen88
05-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I am the same way, I've always liked working and tinkering on things, and i LOVE to ride. What a sales pitch huh, ride around on the rim and show the guy you are trying to sell it to how you treat your stuff!!??? Some people amaze me lol. I have started a thread on my progress with the 250Sx if you are interested in checking it out. And I made an album with all the rides I have/had if your interested. Thanks for your comment and hope to hear from ya again......

*Oh yeah, the thread is called ''Fixing up my 250sx on a low budget.....''*

mcgahen88
05-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking hard about it I'm pretty sure Im going to keep the SX. It needs work but really is a great machine. Thanks for your input and thats a good idea if I want to consider trading. Hope to hear from you again..............