PDA

View Full Version : Propane forklifts?

300rman
05-14-2011, 12:34 AM
We recently bought a forklift. it has a propane conversion kit on it and i have a few questions.

One, is what is the reason for converting it over? they smell like hell when they run.

two, why couldn't you convert a car and run some 100 Lb propane tanks, if it really is that much better? ive heard its very efficient

mrmello
05-14-2011, 12:41 AM
There are many cars trucks and vans that have been converted over to propane here. Its was a fad that started when the propane was lower then the fuel. Then the fuel company realized it and hiked the price of "automobile propane". Which is basically the same thing.

A lot of the taxi's were converted over and some still are.

Your may not even be a conversion. They make forklifts that run on propane from the factory.

Not sure about advantages or dis advantages.

bkm
05-14-2011, 12:55 AM
When propane is used on fork lifts and is working properly it produces no carbon monoxide and can be used indoors. Gas engines produce carbon monoxide and if used indoors like in a warehouse or loading facility, it can kill or cause severe sickness. That is the #1 benefit to it.

KASEY
05-14-2011, 01:01 AM
AND IT PRODUCES NO CARBON BUILDUP IN THE MOTOR.. the oil will never get black,, the motor will last years longer,, no fouled plugs,, way better than gasoline.

rkoley1
05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
If it smells bad when running it needs serviced, tune up ie. maybe vaporizer and carb cleaned and serviced too.

250rAL
05-14-2011, 12:29 PM
When propane is used on fork lifts and is working properly it produces no carbon monoxide and can be used indoors. Gas engines produce carbon monoxide and if used indoors like in a warehouse or loading facility, it can kill or cause severe sickness. That is the #1 benefit to it.

This is WRONG! Anything that burns produces CO. I used to work in a refridgerated warehouse that had a propane truck and at least two people passed out from the CO. And yes, it shouldn't stink although it might just before the tank goes empty.

300rman
05-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Every propane forklift I have ever smelled smells like ass.

and it is definitely a conversion :)

hoosierlogger
05-14-2011, 04:58 PM
They do make forklifts that run on propane in factories that were not converted. The advantage of propane tanks are that if someone else is running it, you can shut off the valve right before they drive off and then it will run out of gas and die on them. Then you get a little chuckle out of it when they take the tank off to go get another one.

bkm
05-14-2011, 05:35 PM
This is WRONG! Anything that burns produces CO. I used to work in a refridgerated warehouse that had a propane truck and at least two people passed out from the CO. And yes, it shouldn't stink although it might just before the tank goes empty.

Do a little research before you start telling people they are wrong. Yes if the lift is not working properly or it is burning too rich or too lean it will produce CO. I was a forklift tech for a few years and if the machine is working properly and is in a "Ideal Burn" condition it will produce no carbon monoxide. It will produce carbon dioxide and that can make you sick but the levels have to be through the roof and zero ventilation.

Now the key to this is "Working Properly" and most companies don't give a damn about there employee's, let alone the condition of the the lift trucks they have.