PDA

View Full Version : To ALL ATv/ATC riders in New York State

250x
05-26-2011, 05:18 PM
I sent a letter to the governor about guiding me in the right direction about removing required registration and insurance if they are used on authorized and private lands. I have the return letter on my forum. The more we get to sign this the better shot we have at getting this requirement altered to only need reg and ins if vehicles are operated on public and state maintained trails and lands. You can view the letter on my forum. You do need to register to see this.

http://250x.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=atvreg&action=display&thread=401

(Mods, if this is not allowed please let me know, not trying to do anything wrong here, just trying to help us all out)

RIDE-RED 250r
05-26-2011, 06:17 PM
I have heard of this proposed legislation. I emailed my assemblywoman about it and she replied in a written letter that she wouls support this bill if it ever gets put on the table. There was also the issues of DEC "truck trails" in tug hill that apparently we are banned from using even though there is no signage to let us know in many cases. (dont ask me how i know). Boils down to a loophole in NYS veh/traffic law and the fact that atvs are not recognized as motor vehicles. So, to sum up, street legal dirtbikes and automobiles are allowed to run these gravel roads that look just like the town owned gravel roads, but atvs, NO! So I asked my assemblywoman if she could sponsor a bill to address this unfair loophole. She said she would support it, but I dont think she will write/sponsor such a bill being in her freshman term....especially when there are very pressing issues bearing down on this state at this time...

250x
05-26-2011, 07:04 PM
I agreew there are loopholes in thie legislation, and I intend to forward, when ready with enough signatures, to push this requirement loophole out the door, unless we were to be using state/county/public use areas. I do not agree on those "seasonal" roads only being able to be used by road legal vehicles, after all they are forcing us to register our atv's the very same way you would a car or truck, with insurance.