PDA

View Full Version : Uses for a 5.5 HP Honda Engine with a 6:1 Gear Reduction

Lord Letto 20
05-28-2011, 10:51 AM
I have a Old Ford Rototiller, a RT5 Made between 1983-1989 with a 5HP B&S Engine although i'm unsure of exact year. anyway, i was offered a 5.5HP Honda engine with 6:1 Gear Reduction but i don't know anything about the other Honda engines, would the Honda 5.5 HP Engine Fit and work in a 1983 ATC200E? I don't have a go cart or anything to use it in so i asked the guy if he has anything different to trade instead. Here is a Link to Kijiji Ad W/Pics i have of the Tiller:
http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-Ford-RT5-Rototiller-1983-1989-W0QQAdIdZ285380164

Lord Letto 20
05-28-2011, 01:07 PM
After doing a bit of looking around on Google for 5.5HP Honda Engine with 6:1 Gear reduction, i would take a guess and say it's a GX160 Engine or something along that line, around $4-500+ Brand New. Just for the cost of it brand new i Might reply back and see what condition the engine is in and see if he has any pictures.

HuffieVA
05-28-2011, 01:23 PM
the gear reduction setups are used for tiller's water pumps etc, to put it mathematically if the engeingine is running at 1000 rpm the shaft coming out of the reduction box is running at 1/6'th that speed. For example if you have a gocart that runs 60mph and you reduce the main output shaft 6:1 you will have a 10mph rocket (not exact but the point being is it would be painfully slow in a cart or on a trike for that matter) it would work good on your tiller though, or its possible you could remove the gear reduction and put a centrifugal clutch on the main shaft and run it like a cart/mini bike but you will have only 1 gear... ok for a cart zinging around a track but not very practical for trails etc. despite the fact that it would definitely look strange on a big red

Lord Letto 20
05-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Guy Replyed back, he got it from work, it was used for a Asphalt cooker before thay scrapped the cooker. start's first pull and gas tank is cleen, he sent me a pic of one identical to it, He is Unsure of the Hours on it:
http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r333/Letto18/013.jpg
He also offered a Older Mastercraft Lawnmower with a 4.5 hp tecumseh, Starts First pull and he just sharpened the blade this morning. he's willing to trade both the engine and the old lawnmower for the old Tiller.

HuffieVA
05-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I've been a commercial roofer for the last 22 years (last 8 in the office), take my word for it... you do not want anything that came off of a asphalt kettle, they are lugged and abused beyond belief and never maintained... we consider the pump engines disposable because they are worked so hard if they dont start and its anything more than a spark plug a new one gets thrown on and the old one goes in the parts bin

hillbilly 200x
05-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Guy Replyed back, he got it from work, it was used for a Asphalt cooker before thay scrapped the cooker. start's first pull and gas tank is cleen, he sent me a pic of one identical to it, He is Unsure of the Hours on it How does it start with out a pull cord??? lol I am 100% with HuffieVA most to every engine that was been working like this one has is junk. It mostly was a tapper crank shaft to so it probability can't have any type of clutch put on it. just my .02. Aaron

Chazz of Blades
05-28-2011, 11:33 PM
STAY VERY FAR AWAY FROM TECUMSHIT! You'll end up much happier in the long run.