PDA

View Full Version : What charities do you support,and why?

atc007
06-05-2011, 12:00 PM
The Childrens Miracle Network Telethon is on now. And it got me thinking about some of the fine folks on here. Just curious to here the stories of those that wish to share. Noone can help everyone,so as life would have it,we have to choose where our support goes. I wish I could simply wave a wand and take away ALL of the physical and mental anguish there is,,but obviously that is not possible. We give St. Judes monthly. We're called Life Partners,it is auto pay ,straight out of the account,every month for life. Same with our Local MDA clinic/,miracle network hospital. Janet Weiss childrens hospital. We have never known a child personally with cancer or that went to St Judes. But we give. My wife and 2 daughters have Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy,,so,Obviously we support the MDA with everything we can. We also throw in a dollar at Lowes or Mcd's or wherever they are taking THEIR time to try and help,,we answer.No matter the charity. Our soft spot obviously being helpless kids..And MMD. I would LOVE to get up a ride to support a charity!! But have no clue where to start. Insurance wise. Anyone here ??trailpro:crazy:

harryredtrike
06-06-2011, 11:43 AM
im a contributor to the D A V.(disabled american vets).and the USO.Because im a vet .

atc007
06-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Good deal,and of course. Thank you for your service!

2Tim215
06-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Having lost our first son we support The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Although our loss doesn't compare to families who still don't know where their children are, we have a VERY soft spot for them. We also get involved with other missing children cases and like supporting local Fire Departments as these people risk their lives often for strangers they never met and many gave their lives for the cause. My wifes Dad was a life long Fireman as well as her Grandfather. We also support Golisano Children’s Hospital Rochester NY, they are part of The Childrens Miracle Network also. And lastly, I minister the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the inmates at our local Jail as a Non-Denominational minister, I served their from 1992-96 as a volunteer, 96-2001 as Chaplain, and currently volunteer the fourth Sunday of each month and on call as needed. Glad to see other caring people out here! It does make a difference!!!

hoosierlogger
06-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Wife and I give a little to charities throughout the year, but not regularly (funds do not permit it). The one that I most like to support is the American Cancer Society. I lost a cousin that was more like a brother to me than my own brother is. He fought cancer 3 times before it got him. He died 1 week short of his 26th birthday. I think about him every day and hope they learned something from him to help others some day.

Billyboy34
06-06-2011, 01:37 PM
I participate in the Pan-Mass Challenge. A grueling 200 mile bike ride from Sturbridge, MA to Provincetown, MA in an effort to raise money for cancer research.

atc007
06-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Tim,Hoosier,I expected to see you guys here! Harry,glad to see you here. Still awaiting some others to surprise! Tim,sorry to hear your story,Hoosier too. You just NEVER KNOW the path that someones walked , or what they are currently living,,do we. Meet up in a parking lot,do a deal ,and go on. But there is SOO much more to SOME people.. Hopefully the stories keep coming.

atc007
06-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Whew,Billy ,,God bless ! And THANK YOU ! Sometime my friend,,,you should go into a hospital,and WATCH your money at work!! You will have an even BETTER idea of the difference YOU are making!

Billy Golightly
06-06-2011, 02:01 PM
American Cancer Society.

My grandmother died of cancer.
My dad had cancer.
My mom had cancer
My uncle died of cancer.
my aunt died of cancer.

Should be self explanatory.

atc007
06-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Dam,Sorry to hear that. That's why we do St. Judes,,it trickles up to the adults,,all their research. I heard the other day the Government,pharmacies,,have so much power,,that there has not been ONE single CURE in over 50 years.. Very sad. And not right.

rdlsz24
06-06-2011, 02:23 PM
We give back to Ronald McDonald house charities as we stayed in one in Chicago for a month last summer while our newborn daughter was in the NICU at Children's Memorial. We would have went broke staying in hotels in downtown Chicago for a month; McDonald house was only $10 a day to stay there and volunteers provide at least 1 meal a day for you, usually 2. We went back this past Saturday night and this time we were the volunteers providing the evening meal.

Rob

Billyboy34
06-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Whew,Billy ,,God bless ! And THANK YOU ! Sometime my friend,,,you should go into a hospital,and WATCH your money at work!! You will have an even BETTER idea of the difference YOU are making!

This bike-a-thon raises about $34 million a year. Each rider needs to raise a minimum of $4,200!! This event makes up about 60% of the Jimmy Funds annual funds. All of which goes to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. One of toughest parts of the ride is where they put up posters of the kids in the hospital. It's harder to see those posters than actually ride the 200 miles. But seeing those faces makes me ride even harder.

atc007
06-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Now ,THAT"S what I'm talking about Billyboy ! Good stuff! I thought WE did good!! WOW! SZ 24,,how's your daughter doing?? I sure hope great. We were fortunate enough to be able to stay IN the hospital,and or come home for our bad times. But there IS a Ronald Mcdonald house there!! I did not realize we could just go there and volunteer!? Good to know,,someday. We will ! That must have been very rewarding,let me guess. You're already planning to go back again? Thanx again to all of you.

rdlsz24
06-06-2011, 11:16 PM
She's doing great now, pretty much a normal 10 month old little girl. She will most likely have some respiratory problems in the long term from being born with an underdeveloped lung but it's nothing that will keep her from having a normal life.

Yeah you can just give the McDonald house a call and tell them when you are wanting to come to prepare a meal. You bring all the food with you and prepare it in their kitchen, at least that's how it was at the one we stayed at.

Rob

tomyt175
06-07-2011, 06:59 AM
princess margaret hospital in perth, my twin sister and i were born 8 weeks early, we both had breathing difficulties so we were flown to pmh on the royal flying doctor ( another non govt funded organisation which is invaluable in our country, especially to those hundreds of km from hospital, we also donate funds to them) We stayed in pmh for over a month, now every year when the state govt does its annual telethon we donate to them. they without doubt saved mine and my sister's life, its the least I can do to give them a donation each year.

cattle-dog
06-07-2011, 08:08 AM
childrens hospital buffalo ny, i mainly support childrens charitys.
also support Aucado austrailian cattledog rescue from michigan and ohio monthly,
also give to rescue horses from slaughter auctions here in the united states.
all my pets are rescues 3 horses matilda the mule, benji the great dane, quinn the cattledog

atc007
06-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Great stuff guys!! keep em coming!! I LOVE IT!

The Goat
06-07-2011, 12:10 PM
I donate to the local college radio station, they match your donation or close to it with gift cards. They are a little far left for my tastes, but at the same time their radio station isn't big business and provides decent entertainment.

I get to keep hearing good music, entertaining djs, opinions quite different than my own, gift cards, and get to knock a massive amount off my taxes at the end of the year.

As for real charities, non really, I have a simple system, I never carry cash, so if someone asks while I have something in my wallet, they can have it.