PDA

View Full Version : Any double edge shavers in here?

The Goat
06-07-2011, 12:16 PM
I recently made the switch from three blade plastic razors to a merkur 1904 DE. The difference in price of blades (100 for six bucks) and quality of the shave is crazy.

My 1904, tweezerman brush, 100 quality blades, and Taylor of old bond cream cost me 50 bucks, I've only used three blades and I've shaved everyday for a month.
The biggest difference is I actually have a desire to shave with it. A completely different experience to do a warm shave every day with hand whipped lather and a badger shaving brush.

Unfortunately there are no American made DEs any more, my next investment will have to be an old superspeed!

Thorpe
06-07-2011, 12:35 PM
This makes me chuckle... Because I can see this thread going so many different directions on "whats getting hot shaved!!"

But to answer your question, no I dont.

atc007
06-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Did anyone pay the pop when the Gillette Mach 4 ? I don't remember,,their FIRST vibrating,,yeah,yeah Thorpe!! lol, triple or quad blade. There very 1st one that came w a Duracell. THEY LASTED OVER A YEAR!! I bought one,my Father in law,my nephew. Those blades were next level stuff!! A year and a half later,they started making there blades form garbage again. And still do today! They work unbelieveable,,three times. Then there dull and garbage! Anyhow,Goat do you have pice of what you have. Again,forgive my ignorance. I have wanted to go str8 blade,I have no problem with the price if they're worth it! BUT,I have never used one,so please show what you have and you're saying you look forward to shaving instead of dreading it!? I'm in! Good thread!

Billy Golightly
06-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Where are you buying double edged razor blades? I have one that my dad gave to me and I'd chunk the mach 3 in a heartbeat ($20+ for a pack of their blades is f'in ridiculous) if I could find some. I've never even seen any in the stores locally.

twitch101
06-07-2011, 03:45 PM
i use the dispossible bic 3 blades. theyre clones of the gillettes and they last me about 3 weeks per razor. 6 for 8 bucks

The Goat
06-07-2011, 04:49 PM
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/merkur_1904.jpg

Buying my blades off amazon Billy. Derby or Feather blades. Derby is infinitely cheaper. 100 blades for under 7$

The 1904 is a cheaper German model, it's non adjustable blade length made it an interesting one to learn on.

No lie though, a badger hair brush, Taylor of old bond street sandalwood cream, a small bowl for whipping the shaving cream, and a decent balm style aftershave and shaving feels great and leaves you refreshed.

I typically do a light pass and then reshave at a different angle to get it even closer.

Straights are still the thing to beat, but my hand aren't quite steady enough for me to feel comfortable.

Those blades are a ceramic coated stainless steel, not quite as sharp as a feather, but they last a lot longer on my stubble.

fabiodriven
06-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Interesting. I don't know why I haven't put any thought into this already. I get my head straight-bladed by my barber when I get my hair cut (high and tight). My barber is the last guy in the area that uses a straight blade, and he doesn't look like he's going to be cutting my hair the rest of my life. He's pretty old, so I've gotta figure something out.

tanks350x
06-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Years ago when my father was still around, he had a double edged razor that I used to mess around with.. It had a knob at the base, where you would unscew the it fully to replace the blades. It also had a setting knob close to the top as well 1-9 I think...Now I just use a Gillette mach 3 turbo that vibrates. It works well I use mostly on my head.

JayBone
06-07-2011, 07:22 PM
I just use those cheap plastic blades 10 PACK. I get a week or so, but i shave every other day.

Thought about an old fashion flat blade razor.

atc007
06-07-2011, 08:17 PM
I was ready to bite the bullet,,so to speak. Slash my throat! Like 7 months ago,all I could find on ebay were ANTIQUE straight edges. I know stuff was made better back then,,yet hoped to buy a new one. Theres a guy out of Jersey who is FIRST class! But his stuff aint cheap! It's ALL antique. Like Billy said Gilletes prices are GONE! I have tried all the disposables, I generally Hate all Schicks stuff,but the best one I found was a womens Schick disposable! I can't find em anymore! I think this will remind me to learn to slash myself! Gonna go razor hunting!

Scootertrash
06-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Does shaving both edges of my bikini line count? :naughty: :wondering

:lol:

300rman
06-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Electric razor for my daily shaving. Braun makes great units, and ive gotten a year and a half on the blade that it came with, and still going strong.

The Goat
06-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Bleh, that's one thing I hate, electric.

Billy Golightly
06-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Years ago when my father was still around, he had a double edged razor that I used to mess around with.. It had a knob at the base, where you would unscew the it fully to replace the blades. It also had a setting knob close to the top as well 1-9 I think...Now I just use a Gillette mach 3 turbo that vibrates. It works well I use mostly on my head.

That sounds like basically what the one my old man gave me is. He said something about it being military issue.

MonroeMike
06-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I still have mine from BMT.

The Goat
06-08-2011, 01:10 PM
The adjustables are infinitely easier to shave with at first, but the non adjustable teaches you to vary the length of the cut using the guard (that isn't really a guard).

I'm resistingthe urge to buy another right now giving my being jobless.

tanks350x
06-11-2011, 12:11 AM
I still have mine from BMT.

My old mans was pretty close to that, all stainless looking though...wasn't black