PDA

View Full Version : Saw vs Seen :s

mohadib
06-14-2011, 01:13 PM
http://unenlightenedenglish.com/2010/01/saw-vs-seen

Just saying :S

BGP
06-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Nevermind "Seen Saw"; there's a greater need for "There, They're, Their" from what I "seen" in here... ; )

mohadib
06-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Lets not forget you're, your, and trailprotrailpro :D Or where, wear, and were. Seen and saw are just the most irritating :P

rdlsz24
06-14-2011, 03:19 PM
How about "trikes for sell" in the classifieds

Rob

atctim
06-14-2011, 03:27 PM
the biggest offense in here is "trikes were band" instead of "trikes were banned" which they really weren't.

Chazz of Blades
06-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Oh I don't know Tim, I'd love to see a four part harmony with a few 350X's.

bkm
06-14-2011, 05:56 PM
How about "trikes for sell" in the classifieds

Rob

Yep, the old " I want to sale my trike".

Text message style writing drives me crazy, along with no capitalization to start a sentence or no period to end it. Lets not forget the famous twelve line paragraph that is one long run on sentence.

I'm no English major by any means, but a little 5th grade grammar and sentence structure goes a long way.

Thorpe
06-14-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm no English major by any means, but a little 5th grade grammar and sentence structure goes a long way.

Amen brother...

tri again
06-15-2011, 12:30 AM
OK the Whole town was DECIMATED!

no, decimate is every tenth house.
The whole town was destroyed.

And this brought to you by newscasters and journalism majors.

If the roman army failed at battle, they'd kill every tenth warrior.
The troops were 'decimated'.
Not a good event to be invited to.

ever clear? sunny and clear? NEWK yoU ler?

The guy with his finger on the freakin' button can't pronounce it correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He must be overqualified.

If this thread washes out, maybe we can try some localisms and vernacular.

like waRshing machine
and the missing 'r' s in new yaWk, pls somepne translate, "tawkin ta huh"

or, 'the daughta and huh daughta'.
and 'gulluck ta dum'

but they add an 'r' everywhere else to make up for that loss, because it's a really good 'idear'.

Nice to see we have this kind of free time, eh?

Welcome to spring everyone.

BGP
06-15-2011, 01:59 PM
OK the Whole town was DECIMATED!

no, decimate is every tenth house.
The whole town was destroyed.

And this brought to you by newscasters and journalism majors.

If the roman army failed at battle, they'd kill every tenth warrior.
The troops were 'decimated'.
Not a good event to be invited to.

ever clear? sunny and clear? NEWK yoU ler?

The guy with his finger on the freakin' button can't pronounce it correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He must be overqualified.

If this thread washes out, maybe we can try some localisms and vernacular.

like waRshing machine
and the missing 'r' s in new yaWk, pls somepne translate, "tawkin ta huh"

or, 'the daughta and huh daughta'.
and 'gulluck ta dum'

but they add an 'r' everywhere else to make up for that loss, because it's a really good 'idear'.

Nice to see we have this kind of free time, eh?

Welcome to spring everyone.

Hahaha!!! That was beautiful!

I remember a time where news anchors used to say nuclear until Bush started saying Newkuhler... then they followed suit.

Chazz of Blades
06-15-2011, 03:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4-n7Sfzt-M

:)

fabiodriven
06-15-2011, 03:32 PM
"It needs rebuilt" or "It just needs cleaned". Drives me up a fackin wall....

tri again
06-15-2011, 04:28 PM
"It needs rebuilt" or "It just needs cleaned". Drives me up a fackin wall....

"to be or not to be", seems to be the question. (William Shakespear)

(maybe) ...It needs painted?

Bretmd94
06-15-2011, 05:14 PM
I like this thread and the point it brings up. With the internet and mobile phone computers came the powerhouse known as Facebook and its predecessors, as well as all the forums.

With all the youth and even many of the elderly posting their own quotations for everyone in the world to view, there really is a need for proper grammar. I believe new class subject in English covering "internet posting" should be implemented.

Unfortunately many English teachers still don't understand the concept. I know because my mother is an English teacher and her Facebook posts speak for them selves.

Kids need to learn how to look educated when posting. I also believe there is a need for posting etiquette online. "what not to say to 6 billion people"

Eric250R
06-15-2011, 11:46 PM
hmmmm, how about brakes and breaks?

tri again
06-16-2011, 03:37 PM
I like this thread and the point it brings up. With the internet and mobile phone computers came the powerhouse known as Facebook and its predecessors, as well as all the forums.

With all the youth and even many of the elderly posting their own quotations for everyone in the world to view, there really is a need for proper grammar. I believe new class subject in English covering "internet posting" should be implemented.

Unfortunately many English teachers still don't understand the concept. I know because my mother is an English teacher and her Facebook posts speak for them selves.

Kids need to learn how to look educated when posting. I also believe there is a need for posting etiquette online. "what not to say to 6 billion people"

they're, there and their?
loose and lose has been clarified because of kids calling each other loosers.

Maybe a lot of it will become self-correcting over time as internet grammar evolves.
Websters dictionary is bowing to pop culture and actually adding misspelled words
because they are being (mis)used so frequently.
google is a verb, right?

Too bad these aren't the worst things we have to worry about.