PDA

View Full Version : When things aren't as described

jays375
06-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Don't you just hate it when things aren't as good as described.Went and looked at a 85 350x last night.The owner said it had been his since 89 and looked like new when purchased.Granted it has been ridden alot since then.Told me it needed axle bearings and rear tires.The seat had a small rip and the fenders were in good shape.Supposedly the tank was real nice.Now I got all excited since he only wanted $900.Plus it was only 40 minutes from my house.Well when I got there wasn't to happy.The axle bearings were gone.The seat was trashed.It did run,don't ask me how.Inside of the gas tank was so rusted a screwdriver would gone right through it.One positive thing the fenders weren't broke.All though they were really scratched.The air filter was gone and the brakes were shot.Plus it had spent some time left outside and was generally very rusty.Didn't even make a offer and thanked the guy and left.At least I didn't get lost.You always have to take a chance and go look because you never know.

coolpool
06-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Yes it's very frustrating. But admit it, half the fun of dealing with these machines is the search for a deal or scoring on some nice parts. The quest becomes part of our hobby IMO. You're not alone if you've been dissapointed. The old saying, "one mans trash is another mans treasure" works two ways. Some guys really think they have something nice to sell:crazy: Keep searching, it will pay off someday. Good luck.

tri again
06-19-2011, 05:52 AM
My favorite ad recently was simply,
"honda 3 weller, real nice qaad, $300".

NO phone number or contact info.

a true classic.

I've looked at big reds that were anything but,
big, red 3 wheelers. one was a matched set of 1985 s models,
and 2 were sx's.

Funny too because the model stickers were still on them.

Thank the gods we can still find these things cheap almost any day of the week
in whatever condition we care to deal with.

At least here in Oregon.

Nevkilahonda3
06-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Too bad you don't live in Michigan I found a decent deal.

http://up.craigslist.org/rvs/2438808575.html

dougspcs
06-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Don't you just hate it when things aren't as good as described.Went and looked at a 85 350x last night.The owner said it had been his since 89 and looked like new when purchased.Granted it has been ridden alot since then.Told me it needed axle bearings and rear tires.The seat had a small rip and the fenders were in good shape.Supposedly the tank was real nice.Now I got all excited since he only wanted $900.Plus it was only 40 minutes from my house.Well when I got there wasn't to happy.The axle bearings were gone.The seat was trashed.It did run,don't ask me how.Inside of the gas tank was so rusted a screwdriver would gone right through it.One positive thing the fenders weren't broke.All though they were really scratched.The air filter was gone and the brakes were shot.Plus it had spent some time left outside and was generally very rusty.Didn't even make a offer and thanked the guy and left.At least I didn't get lost.You always have to take a chance and go look because you never know.

Math it in your head how much love and money it will take to restore and buy the bltch at a price you will pay..

Unless there are lots in your neighbourhood to choose from these things are gonna up in price as the years go by.

If it's got a good motor and the frame is decent that's a good building point..$900 isn't a bad price, even for one thats a bit of a wreck!! At least not in Canada!!

At least post the link..someone else here may see some hope for the old girl!!

jays375
06-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Well here in the states there is alot more of them.When I said it was generally very rusty,things were bad.The upper motor mounts were almost rusted through.In fact with the tank removed I am sure you would see bad things with the frame.I wouldn't have had much faith in the motor because who knows how long the filter was missing.Trust me I did the math and for a thousand more I could have purchased a really nice machine ready to ride.Sorry there isn't a link to post.

tri again
06-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Well here in the states there is alot more of them.When I said it was generally very rusty,things were bad.The upper motor mounts were almost rusted through.In fact with the tank removed I am sure you would see bad things with the frame.I wouldn't have had much faith in the motor because who knows how long the filter was missing.Trust me I did the math and for a thousand more I could have purchased a really nice machine ready to ride.Sorry there isn't a link to post.

YEAH!

I've never seen one (2) so bad as this weekend

85 sx's.
the frames were so rusted at the bottom pan the footpegs rotted off.

The rest of the trikes looked newnewnew

The guy welded a plate on the entire bottom but still scary.
Such a good job I almost missed it too.

dougspcs
06-22-2011, 08:59 AM
What a shame..probably end up rotting behind the guys barn til the weeds grow up and it disappears. We just found an old ARGO on my parents property that they have owned for 20 years now..you can imagine the condition. Not even a parts hunter would have wanted it..for free!!!

Stay on the hunt Jay..that is the good thing to being in an area that still has a few around.

That would have been a tough call to let that one slide by here..few and far between.

I got lucky with mine..right place, right time

Xpress
06-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Some guys really think they have something nice to sell:crazy:

Perhaps it's that mentality of "It was banned, so therefore it MUST be rare!" floating around. I've seen it a few times, where guys think they have really priceless gems on their hands because of the fact that they were banned, but as it turns out the only good bits of the entire bike were maybe the handlebars and triple trees. We all know that just because it was banned, doesn't mean it wasn't mass produced ;)