PDA

View Full Version : Honda GX120 shuts off after 10-25 seconds of running. Cant figure it out!

adcotton
06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
This engine is mounted on a compacter. Fuel system flows fine, Carb is very clean, Dis connected the low oil safety switch, ran with and without air filter Still wont stay running!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

-Ashton

shortline10
06-20-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm having the same issue with a gxv340 . Were are all the small engine tech at LOL .

This engine is mounted on a compacter. Fuel system flows fine, Carb is very clean, Dis connected the low oil safety switch, ran with and without air filter Still wont stay running!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

-Ashton

adcotton
06-20-2011, 10:42 PM
i dont know but i hope they show up soon. btw also ran it with the gas cap off and saw no change.

tri again
06-22-2011, 04:19 AM
coil getting hot?

How long before it starts again?

we had a ford trouble.

heated the coil with a hairdryer when we KNEW it should start and it didn't.

blew the coil off with compressed air to cool it and the s.o.b. started.

will it keep running if you keep kissing it with starting fluid when it starts to die?

harbor freight has an inline spark tester for like 2 bucks.

you'll be able to see if the spark dies off when it croaks, maybe?

fuel or spark, right?

hillbilly 200x
06-22-2011, 07:08 AM
There is three things that every engine need to have to run gas, air, and spark. You need to slow down and start over. 1 put some fresh gas in it and let it run throught the fule line so you know the line isn't damaged, 2 take the carb off and clean it really good take all the jets out and blow them out with compressed air until you can hold them to the sky and see light through it blow the carb out aswell these carb have little pasages that can be blocked up real easly,3 get a new spark plug, 4 make sure it is setting on level ground and check the oil ad some if needed (sae30), 5 make sure the air cleaner is clean take the outwear off and blow the filtter out with compressed air until you can see light through it if you hold it up to the sky if it does not come clean get a new one. hope this helps

Scootertrash
06-22-2011, 09:10 AM
never mind ;):D

tri again
06-22-2011, 12:00 PM
There is three things that every engine need to have to run gas, air, and spark. You need to slow down and start over. 1 put some fresh gas in it and let it run throught the fule line so you know the line isn't damaged, 2 take the carb off and clean it really good take all the jets out and blow them out with compressed air until you can hold them to the sky and see light through it blow the carb out aswell these carb have little pasages that can be blocked up real easly,3 get a new spark plug, 4 make sure it is setting on level ground and check the oil ad some if needed (sae30), 5 make sure the air cleaner is clean take the outwear off and blow the filtter out with compressed air until you can see light through it if you hold it up to the sky if it does not come clean get a new one. hope this helps

oops, I forgot.
My generator has a low oil sensor that went bad.

It wasn't a low pressure switch but rather an oil level kill circuit that wasn't working. there Was oil in it.

Almost sounds like either something is heating up and dying like a coil or in the amount of time it takes to cool off, is the same amount of time it takes for fuel to drool past a clog and fill the line enough to let it run for 30 seconds again.