PDA

View Full Version : Been awhile looking for advice on xt250, bottom end flushing.

short4stuff
06-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Gf's sister just bought an 09 xt250.
Her first bike. Dont know if it was user error or.. But an hour into her first ride, she got it stuck in mud. The clutch basket fingers broke off and roasted the clutch.

I really dont feel like splitting the case. I've cleaned the clutch side out and pull the stator side apart too. And sprayed brake clean into the bottom end the best I could. I am going to fill it will mineral spirts or something. Then I was planning on putting some cheap oil threw it about 3 times. And see if the oil comes out clean. If not then split it.

Is it likely to have to much shavings left in it and blow up?/take out the bearings?

Edit.. I'm already over thinking it way to much, so I'll probably just take the 4hrs or so, pull the engine and split it. I'll sleep better. Cause if a rod or crank bearing go out, it'll get nasty.

Chazz of Blades
06-20-2011, 10:42 PM
I've always flushed bottom ends out with diesel. Then run some oil through it, shake it up good, drain that, then put in good oil.

atc007
06-23-2011, 03:49 PM
You are 97% fine Without splitting it generally. I've done some REAL GENADE jobs w the customer standing over my shoulder assisting me rinse and shake{motor pulled} Because they wouldn't pay to split! NEVER had a problem!! BUT ,it takes alot of time shaking,compressed air etc,,and there can still be crap in the bearings.. Won't do it w my stuff,but did MANY in the day.. no problems at all.