PDA

View Full Version : refrigerator diagnosis? or big white 3 wheeler

tri again
06-26-2011, 03:49 AM
Hotpoint fridge just started running constantly.

set on low, freezer freezes and fridge gets cold but it won't shut off.

The coil in the freezer isn't frosted up
so that may eliminate the defrost timer. 60-100$

Temp adjustment thermostat? 140$ retail, 40$ used.

Seems like the compressor is a lot noisier than it used to be.

Outsdide Coils are clean, no dust, but the coils by the outside fan don't seem to be getting hot.

Inside and outside fans spin nicely and quiet.

Perfect problem on a 3 day weekend.

robtech
06-26-2011, 10:02 AM
From your diagnosis, I'd personally go with the thermostat

twitch101
06-26-2011, 10:49 AM
compressor is noisier cause its probably slugging itself. get it fixed before that compressor dies

tri again
06-26-2011, 12:39 PM
wow, thanks for such fast concern.

Here's what I found so far.

There is a defrost timer that turns on a heater to thaw the coil
when it gets frosty.
If that doesn't work, the freezer coils freeze up and altho cccccold, it can't transfer cold...that's not it. The evap coil was clear and somewhat cold.

The thermostat ( the dial thing inside the frig box) tells it when to come on and off.
It never shuts off but after 10 hrs it should be too cold. so even if that's stuck on, you think it would be too cold.

freezer is barely 32 and fridge is 50 something..

I consider this a waste of $$ because I could buy a trike for the price of a new fridge.

also, the cooling coils under the fridge on the outside aren't really warm.

...so looks like my new trike is going to take the shape of a big white rectangular cube,
unless someone tells me abount some hidden magical fix switch I missed.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks for caring.

I think I'll unplug it and go to the dunes.
Maybe try out that new 58$ helmet cam and try to figure out how to post video.

twitch101
06-26-2011, 12:42 PM
to be truthful without guages it can be hard to troubleshoot. you can always jump it out to test it. pressure cut outs can go bad. seems like your low pressure cut out could be bad. its a throw between the tstat and the cutout

Thorpe
06-26-2011, 04:29 PM
It never shuts off but after 10 hrs it should be too cold. so even if that's stuck on, you think it would be too cold.

freezer is barely 32 and fridge is 50 something...

Sounds to me like you have a refrigerant leak....

Dirtcrasher
06-26-2011, 08:12 PM
More than likely it is running continuously to try and satisfy the stat........

There are no schrader valves on refrigerators so you can't test your pressures anyhow.

If you have/had a leak, you will see some refrigerant oils at that place. However, many guys think it's a leak when it's actually a bad/worn compressor. If it cannot make the pressure difference (due to worn/leaking valves) then even a fully charged system will never be able to remove enough heat. Refrigeration does not make cold, it removes heat.........

It's a Hotpoint, probably not worth a new compressor and all the work involved.

Thorpe
06-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I agree with DC about the compressor, if the compressor is scalding hot after its been running awhile, it would be a bad compressor... (although, DC, think it may be a scroll compressor in it?)

Dirtcrasher
06-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Probably just an old piston type hermetic with a bad valve plate......

tri again
06-28-2011, 09:14 AM
yeah, it's only about 10 yrs old and 'given' to me by the power company
as part of their energy saving / disability program.

I guess I'll look into that low pressure cut out and the rest of the wiring diagram.
The thing looks new, inside and out and the control panel with the
clock defrost timer and temp control t-stat looks like it was built yesterday.

I suspect a leak too or some other reason that mimics a leak or low pressure.
and also never remember the compressor being that LOUD!
Like it's fighting itself OR has nothing like pressure resistance to give it something to work against, if that makes any sense.
I just know it's annoying in the sleeping room with the door closed and the tv volume has to be on 4 instead of 2.

Also remember working for an old timer appliance guy years and years ago, and he had some valves that pinched
onto compressor tubing to evacuate and recharge, find the leak with a flame that causes cancer
and epoxy them.

Maybe I'll try cl or saint vinnies.

The more I think about it,
unless 'kids these days' learn to fix their own stuff, cars, trucks, appliances
etc, how will they survive?

Do 'normal' people just pay to have stuff fixed?
..and usually wrong, right?

Thanks you guys.

How in the heck did I get so freakin' whiney?

tri again
06-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Yeah, the compressor sounds kinda like a free revving engine without any load.

It's spinning for sure but feels like it's not doing anything.

I'll just try to find another one.

We've got thousands of people coming in the next week and it's already started
so poor fridge goes on the bottom of the list.

Thanks again you guys.

TrailerRider
06-29-2011, 11:17 AM
The more I think about it,
unless 'kids these days' learn to fix their own stuff, cars, trucks, appliances
etc, how will they survive?

Do 'normal' people just pay to have stuff fixed?

Thats why I make my kids work with me on everything. 2 words "Self Reliance". Sadly nothing is made to be serviceable anymore. Things are built to be thrown away after a few years.. or months with some products. Quality of everything has gone to the crapper. Like replacing the bearing in my water pump. The price of the bearing is as much as a new pump. How can you justify spending full price for a bearing when you can get a new product completely? It's all junk. Cars are made to last 100,000 tops. After that parts cost more then the dam car. Nothing is built to last. Kids have no interest in understanding how something works, it's won't turn on, oh well throw away and buy a new one. There is just no craftmanship anymore. Sell fast as you can and make them buy it again in a month.

Point in case, my sister works at Rent-A-Center. She calls me up and says hey I have this "old" laptop that will cost to much to repair. It has been sitting on the shelf for 6 months. Want it? Sure I say. I get it has no power adapter and hard drive is ticking. I go to ebay and find a replacement power adapter, price watch for a new 350GB sata hard drive. So far I am into it for $70. This laptop is only a little over a year old. Yet it is considered junk. Also someone spilled something on the screen so there is some residue behind the screen that I need to clean off. Thats it. It works fine. Yet considered by most as "old" and "slow" and no good. :confused:

No one ever understands why you can take a 3 wheeler thats been sitting for 10 years and add gas, oil, plug (even had them run with the old plug) and she will fire and run (maybe a carb cleaning). Things were built to last back in the day.

Sorry to hear about your fridge. I am going to say that if you goto rent-a-center you can ask about returns (things people could no longer afford and returned). They get returned, serviced and sold out right for pennies on the dollar (or even payments). We are getting a double door, water, ice and lots of storage fridge for $300 that retails $1200. Plus they are delivering it too :) Some even come with a decent warrenty too :)