PDA

View Full Version : just seen a cop almost kill a guys dog!

Escanabajosh
06-28-2011, 01:51 PM
was on my way to help my dad with a cement job and on the way we go past a house with a sheriff car in the yard. get closer and the cops outta his car with his had on his gun about to draw as this guys lab runs up to him to great him.

Laid on the horn as we went by and it distracted both the cop and the dog, hope things turned out ok for the dog

this is getting outta hand! ya see the video where the cop pulls up asking for directions and shoots the peoples dog....didn't know they had cameras till he started fibbing and they proved him wrong

I do have respect for some police....mostly the old ones, the young kid cops aint nothing but a bunch of punks them selfs!

Bustos82
06-28-2011, 01:54 PM
that is crazy....

dcreel
06-28-2011, 02:49 PM
How do you know the cop didn't chase a bank robber to that house, and the guy sicced his dog on the cop? I'd hate to think the cop got mauled or bitten due to your misplaced horn honk. Sometimes it's best to mind your business if you aren't going to stop and offer some assistance. How can you make a judgement call based on how little info you had?

dougspcs
06-28-2011, 03:31 PM
How do you know the cop didn't chase a bank robber to that house, and the guy sicced his dog on the cop? I'd hate to think the cop got mauled or bitten due to your misplaced horn honk. Sometimes it's best to mind your business if you aren't going to stop and offer some assistance. How can you make a judgement call based on how little info you had?

This is true..your situational perspective may be screwd 'josh' since you didn't see how the whole event went down.

I'm with dcreel..don't interfere, let the man do his job. your distraction may have gotten him hurt or cause him to make a judgement error that got someone else hurt!!

hoosierlogger
06-28-2011, 03:42 PM
its just a dog, but like others said mind your own business.

Tri-Z 250
06-28-2011, 03:53 PM
I can top that....oldman around town bar to bar type. He has a beater minivan with fishing poles, nets drapped all over his homecamo paint job. He's an old flyfisherman with 2labs...the female just had pups. The rear vent window was missing on the one side. Guy goes into a bar and burger in the small town of ChagrinFalls Ohio...while the owners getting lunch, the male exits the van. Not far away is a city owned park, next to the river which runs threw town. The dog being a lab and a hot day goes for a swim. A cell phone call comes in a dog is on the lose. The responding cop came from the next town over... Moreland Hills Ohio. Out of his district, he'd thought he come and assist. SUPER ROOKIE shows up and just like the call there was a dog running lose but when aproched the dog retreated to the van. NOT being able to return jump into the missing window the Brown LAB stood gaurd over the van his female mate and pups inside. In a sitting position...well until SUPER ROOKIE started to box him in. The lab took an agressive stance and became adjatated...barks growels standing hair...never leaving his position under the window next to the rear tire. The Cop yelling at the dog became un-nerved with on lookers for not handeling the situation. S-R brakes out the pepper spray and unloads on the dog. The Cops arm was within 2ft of the dogs nose and the dog bit him....Super Cop then drops the spray and puts the dog down with 2shots from 5' away. You know the dog died under the window of the van...he never moved. Every time I see that cop I remind him of that day, and remind him that he lacks the skills it takes to hold his position. For fun I call him dogbite....in arguements between us he justifies his action by saying the dog assulted a police officer. I told him a SMART cop, would have walked into the burger joint asked for some meat...or food to bribe the dog. Don't worry folks the guy still has a badge making similar decisions...and the oldman who came out after hearing the gun shot was holding a togo box for the dogs has since passed.

dcreel
06-28-2011, 04:00 PM
On the other hand.. There is a reason for leash laws. The owner needs to take some responsibility for letting his dog run loose.

Or... When the cop goes inside to get a "bribe" as you call it, and the dog bites somebody. You realize the city and the cop would be liable for the damages? I think the cop handled business the way he should have.

There are a lot of A holes in my neighborhood that let their dogs roam the neighborhood. I won't hesitate to end any dog that comes on my property and shows agression towards me or my family. Find some meat.. lol

Escanabajosh
06-28-2011, 04:09 PM
It was his yard!

The cop had warrent papers in his hand, know what them look like!

wasn't gunna watch some guy shoot a yellow lab when all it would have took was a dog treat!

Escanabajosh
06-28-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV7u91A3KGQ

Escanabajosh
06-28-2011, 04:14 PM
guys we live in about as back woods country as you can get and our dogs, NONE OF OUR DOGS are on leashs unless in the city at the beach or something

Escanabajosh
06-28-2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mvIWFXbHNo

dcreel
06-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Having grown up around cops my whole life I find your ability to paint them all as "bad" or "crooked" as laughable. Go do the job, then trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro and complain.

cattle-dog
06-28-2011, 04:23 PM
its just a dog huh? some of the humans could use a good dose of loyalty,protection, and careing a dog has for humans, sickens me everytime someone thinks we are the master race who abuse, neglect, and simply not care about anyting because your a human. i guess some people have never felt how a great dog can make you feel kind of sad really.
cops have a tough job forsure but some tend to get a bit carried away,

dougspcs
06-28-2011, 04:25 PM
It was his yard!

The cop had warrent papers in his hand, know what them look like!

wasn't gunna watch some guy shoot a yellow lab when all it would have took was a dog treat!

A dog defending it's territory isn't going to be bought off with a dog treat.

Just because the cop had his hand on his sidearm doesn't mean he was going to shoot the dog. He's just at the ready to defend himself as he was trained to do.

You may have caused the situation to get out of control by honking and distracting him!!

If someone is setting fire to a box of kittens..intervene you're a hero.. If you see a cop doing his job..don't, your obstructing!!

dcreel
06-28-2011, 04:28 PM
A dog defending it's territory isn't going to be bought off with a dog treat.

Just because the cop had his hand on his sidearm doesn't mean he was going to shoot the dog. He's just at the ready to defend himself as he was trained to do.

You may have caused the situation to get out of control by honking and distracting him!!

If someone is setting fire to a box of kittens..intervene you're a hero.. If you see a cop doing his job..don't, your obstructing!!

I'll agree with that 100%

cattle-dog
06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
i have to agree with doug and decreel aboutpossibly makeing the issue worse,

Xpress
06-28-2011, 06:24 PM
I'll third that notion...

Also, just because ONE individual is acting potentially awry from the others, does not mean you have the right to label every single person the same. That is ONE individual, and one individual does not represent the entire bulk.

tri again
06-28-2011, 06:39 PM
We have cops here all the time during the festivals.

One of my security guys got pinned in the back of his truck with a pitchfork for 2 Hours
by 2 pitbulls. They were kinda hidden in the trees way down by the river and chuck forgot his radio because we had just opened
and it was totally mellow...so he just went for a stroll.

I got there immediately, but there was nothing I could do.
I had a clear shot but there were kids around and many reasons not to.
So we evacuated and let chuck be the decoy for the dogs until the cops showed up.

..a nice treat of valium and hamburger?

This year it's trikes and radios and a few other legal items for all.

When the cops finally showed up, the lady screamed not to shoot and the dogs attacked and bit the cop.
No gunfire however. not sure why.

I also know that when they 'reach' down, they are most likely turning on their video camera.

First is radio, second is video, 3rd is noisemaker...generally.

Those pits would have had NO trouble ripping an infant human out of a stroller.
They were protecting their methlab bus, as it turns out.

good dogs!

Jerm1179
06-28-2011, 06:43 PM
i have no clue what he just said.....just sayin

bkm
06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
I think I might be able to add to this conversation. This is going to be long winded so please bear with me. As much as I like to refrain from disclosing my line of work because there are closed minded people who will judge me based off of my profession, but I guess I can't hide it anymore. I am a Police Officer just outside of St. Louis MO. I have been attacked by a dog twice while on duty, both times resulting in trips to the hospital, and both times resulting in time off of work.

The first attack was by a pit bull that was friendly the previous 10 times I have dealt with the dog. It always gets out of the fence and I have put it in my car, tail wagging all the way every time, and returned it to its owner. Well time #11 started just like the last 10. Pull up to the dog, get out of my car, dog comes to me, I gab it by the collar and walk it to my car, as soon as I open the door he decides that he's not going in. The dog starts thrashing wildly and turns and bites my hand, laying me wide open. The dog then ran off before I could react and was later caught by animal control. Ten stitches and a Tetanus shot later I'll never trust another strange dog like that again.

Second verse almost same as the first, only this time it was man best friend the "Black Lab". I responded to a call for a theft from a vehicle. Harmless enough right, or so I thought? I pull up to the house walk up to the front door and there is no answer. I walk around to the side garage that is open when all of a sudden there is a black dog standing in the garage staring at me. I stop and call him over to pet him, because all Black Labs are friendly right? Guess again, he charges at me full speed, I start to run backwards and slam into a box van that's is parked in the driveway. My leg got hung up in between the steps and I fell on my gun side. I can feel a burning sensation in my left leg and at the same time the dog is still attacking me trying to rip my throat out. I was laying on my gun so I couldn't shoot it, so I had to pull my Tazer out and give it a dose of 50,000 volts. If I could have gotten to my gun I would have shot it. Torn muscle in my left calf and bumps and bruises all over.

The moral of my story is you can never trust a dog that you don't know and as a Police officer I have learned that dogs are frightened by the uniform. I can never let my guard down and never will again, therefore I am ready at all times from now on to take what ever action necessary to protect myself and if that means shooting a dog then so be it. To those on the outside looking in, its easy to sit back and Monday Morning Quarterback every thing that I do in my line of work. Thats fine it comes with the territory and I'm fine with that.

I have also learned that while some people have been wrongfully harassed by the Police for doing absolutely nothing wrong. Most hatred for the Police stems from not being able to do what ever they want, when they want, and the only person that has ever stopped them in their entire life has been a Police Officer. They refuse to take responsibility for their own stupid actions and the focus blame on the Police.

Police work to me is just a job, it puts food on the table, clothes on my kids back, and an occasional trike part here and there. Once I am off work I am just Bryan, I don't harass people while at work and I try to treat everyone with respect, sometimes I have to go straight into jackoff mode, but its always a result of how the person wants to start off the interaction.

/Rant.

HuffieVA
06-28-2011, 09:29 PM
I just want to say... I love dogs, but if one threatens my family its the dog that is going to loose period (or a human for that matter) I would rather risk my freedom than live with the misery of thinking i could have / should have done...

I will say that I am not a fan of no-knock raids because there is no way for the occupant to understand what is going on and the first act of human nature is to defend yourself when scared or threatened... I think simply yelling "police" as you storm someones personal home is just not enough... I do understand that they are used to help keep the officers safe but I'll also put money on the fact that many unfortunate situations would have had a much more pleasant ending had a "no-knock" raid not been used...

When I was younger I used to think the majority of police were out to get me, but the reality is that as you grow a little older you begin to understand that they have an often thankless job to do, and yes the few corrupt ones always seem to overshadow the work of the honest its an unfortunate result of having to use humans to enforce other humans because after all humans all screw up from time to time....

Tri-Z 250
06-29-2011, 10:46 AM
On the other hand.. There is a reason for leash laws. The owner needs to take some responsibility for letting his dog run loose.

Or... When the cop goes inside to get a "bribe" as you call it, and the dog bites somebody. You realize the city and the cop would be liable for the damages? I think the cop handled business the way he should have.

There are a lot of A holes in my neighborhood that let their dogs roam the neighborhood. I won't hesitate to end any dog that comes on my property and shows agression towards me or my family. Find some meat.. lol

Dcreel....the city has ordnances established to limit the cities liablity(which is ZERO)...the cop has NO responsiblity for any wrong doings by the dog as well. Your dead wrong and are spouting off things you have no understanding of. The rules are in place to put the responsiblity on the owner of the dog. You my friend don't understand the dog was just loose...not going around biting kids...just went straight from the van to the river and never got close to any persons. It was a champion chocolate LAB, hunting dog..You lol about getting some meat? The back door to the kitchen was less than 30'...I'm sorry if you hate dogs, or as a kid got bit. The lack of common sence that was used by the COP is the sad part. When the dog went back to the van in the parking lot....it never showed agression until peppered sprayed and cornered. Your HOOD sounds a bit low rent...not knocking you, it's just the way you write it. If Pitbulls rome the hood you need to establish insurance laws with the help of city/township and neighbors. I agree the owner of the dog needed to be fined...and was for that matter. I couldn't tell you if he paid after SUPER ROOKIE put down his $2500 Champion LAB. The owner had his day in court. BKM get yourself a pole noose and carry it in the trunk...never try and hand hold ANY unfamiliar dog. Was the owner of said DOG fined for the 10 recoveries? In our town you would have made over $3000 in tickets...if the dog was listed as agressive on the cities dangerous dog list( Pittbulls, Dobbermans, Rots ect). The owner would need to show PROOF of insurance covering the dog...no insurance $2500 fine possible jail time 1st offence, 2nd offence dog gets put down with another $2500 and a possible 10days in jail.

My argument is in judgement by the rookie cop and taking a course of force...NON agressive dog running loose in park. NOT dcreel's yard were it seems your surrounded by Pittbulls and A-holes. To proove my point about the meat, I would like to thank the wonderful Drjoe171, now thats using your head!

dcreel
06-29-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't hate dogs, nor have I ever been bitten. I hate stupid owners of dogs that cause things like this to happen. Then they whine about how it's so sad their stupidity got the family pet killed. When did I ever mention a Pit Bull? I don't know where you came up with that? And if a police officer were to engage someone or something that was apparently a problem (call) then leave the subject alone to get a piece of meat and the dog bit someone the officer and the city would indeed be liable. You know of an old guy with a dog who was shot, I know my father who was a police officer for over 40 years, and Chief of police for the last 8 years. I stand by everything I said.

dcreel
06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
What I said about my neighborhood is from 2 different occasions having some @$$holes dog chase my kids crying into their own house. I live on the outskirts of town in a great neighborhood on 3 acres. It still doesn't make it okay for dogs to roam the neighborhood.

bkm
06-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Lack of reaction on the officers part is his responsibility and he could be held liable if the dog was to attack someone and the officer just stood there and did nothing. I wasn't there so I'm not going to pass judgement. Its easy to sit back and play the shoulda, coulda, woulda game, but the fact remains unless it was you dealing with this personally hindsight is always 20/20.

I wish I had the OP's ability to break down and analize a situation as I'm driving down the road at XXmph. That must be one hell of a skill you possess.

As far as the fines go on the 10 time offending dog, no I never wrote them a summons before that. I never saw a need to bust someones balls. I try and give people the benefit of the doubt and if I can take care of a situation and not cite someone, I take that route.

I told myself I would not respond to a thread like this on this board. They never turn out good no matter how much common sence you try and inject into the conversation, some people just won't get it.

Chazz of Blades
06-29-2011, 02:12 PM
I have family in law enforcement, and I aspire to be one of the most hated people in the state, an Alabama Game Warden, and it is easy for people to get a sense that their perspective is the ONLY correct view, and that the officer(evil, ignorant, cruel, blah blah blah) doesn't know what he has been TRAINED to do. It's normally the people who have NEVER had an angry dog attack them that say this.
I've been chased by a group of labs before, a neighbor owned four that ran loose, and were aggressive, and a good few years back, the substitute bus driver missed my house and let me off about 200 feet away. Well, I make it out of the bus and the dogs starts running up to me barking and I take off. I barely make it to my front door before one gets a mouthful of jeans, and rips half the leg off my dang pants.
Unless you have saw what a dog can do, you can't try and justify being against someone taking a cautious stand. Sure he might be SOMEONE'S best friend, but he sure as hell might not be yours!

Tri-Z 250
06-29-2011, 03:33 PM
The rookie did his best to control the situation(he didn't just stand there)...but it wasn't an uncontrolable dog looking to harm woman and childern. As the cop tried to retieve the dog(he couldn't get within 10') it retreated to the van and sat down next to the wheel....At that point the dog was still, pleanty of time to call for backup to retrieve a burger. You ask why I didn't yell out get a burger? Like most have said I don't need to be involved, plus I never expected the gun shot ending. Hindsite is 20-20. No doubt being a cop is ungrateful and hated position, until you need one.
3achers on the outskirts of town sounds like a nice place. A place where you could talk to the owners of said dogs. You could give them fare warning of you decsion to protect your home and family. If Pittbulls are roaming...is what I wrote, to indicate you can take action amungst the town you live in. IN no way was I trying to tell your story for you. Your missing what point I'm trying to present. All I got is you live next to alot of Aholes and dogs running loose...You can see how easy it is to invision low rent and dogs running amlisly from that discription.
I've spent over $1000 in invisible fencing just to protect my dog from homeowners with the right to kill anything crossing their property line. I buy tags and keep the shots current to protect against a possible unforseen problem. I had a dog get loose as a kid and someone shot him...Luckey we found him in a ditch near where he was shot. Needless to say he survived an Ahole neighbor and lived as a 3 legged dog for 3 more yrs before gang green eventually took over.
Lots of lessons in life are learned through trial and error, right or wrong life goes on. To solve situations without FORCE takes a special individual and not everybody qualifies.
I'll never forget a phrase my Dad said once when asked by the meter reader "Does that dog bite?"
Dad's answer "NO, but he's got teeth."

Dirtcrasher
06-30-2011, 03:16 PM
IDGAFWYT; He shouldn't have shot that dog......

Trigger happy cop versus a non aggressive dog.

The dog didn't appear to be an attack dog to me.

Let me give you MY cop story. (Last fall) I rode my bicycle through an elderly community (mom lives there) and she gave me some stuff which I bungeed to the back of my bike rack. I rode home, saw headlights behind me and stayed to the right thinking it was an elderly person and I didn't want to get hit, then headed for my yard right across the street. I had no idea it was a cop, no siren, no "STOP", no blue lights. As I entered my driveway this "vehicle" punched the gas and ran me and my bike over, pinning me under it. As I attempted to free myself he put a gun right to my head and said "STOP RESISTING!!!!" at least 5 times (probably so he could justify killing me; To which each time I showed him my empty hands and said "I'm trying to free myself!!" Turns out they thought I was stealing because someone saw a bike with stuff bungee corded on the back of it...............

Long story short, I got hurt (left arm has never been the same); He destroyed my 1000$ mountain bike and all charges were dropped in court, yet I still had to pay a 150$ fine. And no, the officer was not at the court house that day.

People are all built different, and that job can harden some people over time. They have to make split second decisions; But I think sometimes they need to wait a couple more seconds.

Not guilty of "fleeing from police", "resisting arrest" etc (remember, he did not announce himself) but a damaged arm for life. Think I could win in court? I doubt it..................

cattle-dog
06-30-2011, 05:42 PM
i think the real issue here is only been touched it is not the dogs or officers but the the dog owners, when will the day come that they are held responsible for the care and keep of thier pets? 99% of the time it is the fault of the owner that the dog is loose, 1% is the dog/escape artist/runner as we call them. as you can tell i place my pets high on my list and am a 100% responsible owner. my dogs do not ever leave my property which is 86 acres,
people need to be punished for the actions of the loose dogs and then you will see less of the police shooting dogs or kids being bitten or chased.
i have been on the wrong end of a arrest do to a computer error entered by a county sheriff worker twice, once i spent a night in jail and 5000 dollars in lawyers fees, cost of my truck being towed and impounded, but it was not the arresting officers fault so i went peacably.
Bkm i knew you were a staight shooter my hats off to you and am sure you sir are a good officer.
it is hard to tell who is in the wrong when a officer does something like shooting a dog, but it wouldnt have happened if the owner had did thier job of properly careing for thier pet.
Don/CATTLE-DOG

Tri-Z 250
07-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Well Dirtcrasher, according to our 2 EXPERTS...the COP is liable for false arrest, damage to your bike, and resitution for the disablment of your sholder and arm. AS well as the uses of a Deadly weapon to an innocent podestrian....just name me one case where 1 single cop has come out of pocket for his misjudgement and use of FORCE on an innocent citizen...ORC???County and state to prove me wrong:wondering. Liablity ZERO!

dcreel
07-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Well Dirtcrasher, according to our 2 EXPERTS...the COP is liable for false arrest, damage to your bike, and resitution for the disablment of your sholder and arm. AS well as the uses of a Deadly weapon to an innocent podestrian....just name me one case where 1 single cop has come out of pocket for his misjudgement and use of FORCE on an innocent citizen...ORC???County and state to prove me wrong:wondering. Liablity ZERO!

I think I'll take the high road on this one. Some people just don't and won't.. get it..

tommerp
07-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Seriously? We are still have a "my d*ck's bigger than yours* argument about this? Who really knows! I were not there and have no idea if the cop was just mauled the week before by a pit bull and was uneasy about it... it happens and maybe it was a mistake. Every situation is different, and I'll tell you this, I did not go into the police force because of all of these reasons and arguments, and etc etc... HOWEVER, when it all comes down to it, they are human just like you and me. They make mistakes, and yes, I know because they are in a position of power that they need to be more careful.

If I had a dog running up on me (for instance), and my defense was either stick my leg or a gun in its mouth, it would be the gun. Does a badge and a gun give someone the permission to do whatever they want at any time? No way, but I do believe that because of the training and responsibilities that a police office has to deal with every day, that they have been trained (at least I hope they have) to deal with a variety of situations in the best possible ways.

Getting run over by a cop? seriously? If that happened to me, my arm hurt, bike damaged, etc etc, I'd have (at the very least) a TV lawyer all up in the police officer's face. If I didn't do anything wrong, then what do I have to loose, huh? Now again, I wasn't at or see your situation so I'm making assumptions here too.

GAH!!

dcreel
07-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Remember Rodney King?

"Four LAPD officers were later tried in a state court for the beating; three were acquitted and the jury failed to reach a verdict for the fourth. The announcement of the acquittals sparked the 1992 Los Angeles riots. A later federal trial for civil rights violations ended with two of the officers found guilty and sent to prison and the other two officers acquitted."

Would you consider being sent to prison "out of pocket", I would. Rodney King won $3.8 million dollars. The 2 officers found guilty of civil rights violations each did almost 3 years in federal prison.

atc007
07-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Lack of reaction on the officers part is his responsibility and he could be held liable if the dog was to attack someone and the officer just stood there and did nothing. I wasn't there so I'm not going to pass judgement. Its easy to sit back and play the shoulda, coulda, woulda game, but the fact remains unless it was you dealing with this personally hindsight is always 20/20.

I wish I had the OP's ability to break down and analize a situation as I'm driving down the road at XXmph. That must be one hell of a skill you possess.

As far as the fines go on the 10 time offending dog, no I never wrote them a summons before that. I never saw a need to bust someones balls. I try and give people the benefit of the doubt and if I can take care of a situation and not cite someone, I take that route.

I told myself I would not respond to a thread like this on this board. They never turn out good no matter how much common sence you try and inject into the conversation, some people just won't get it.

Somehow,,I had skipped Right over this thread! I just wanna say to you Brian. Thank you for your service. Being a GOOD cop,,is One HELL of a lot more than just a job!! There are just enough bad ones to make the great ones a real pleasure to deal with. You put your life on the line for us Every day and should be respected THAT WAY. Thank you.

bkm
07-01-2011, 03:26 PM

Lincoln County Missouri. Deputy stops a truck, gets out of his car and as he is approaching the truck it starts to roll back at him. He shoots through the back window and kills the rear passenger and the driver. He is cleared of all charges criminally because he said he thought the driver was trying to back over him and he feared for his life. Out of pocket civilly the family of the rear seat victim was awarded a undisclosed amount paid by the deputy.

Need any more because I have them.

Dirtcrasher
07-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Why not get out of the way and or shoot the tire?? If police wanna kill scum, I'm all for it; But too often I think it's a trigger happy officer. I certainly mean no disrespect to you.......

bkm
07-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Non taken at all.

From what I have been told it was a short pursuit and the suspect was definitely no stranger to the police. I wasn't there so I won't speculate. As far as shooting a tire, that is in the movies. The Supreme Court has ruled that if a suspect tries to run over an officer with their vehicle, deadly force is justified. As far as the above case, only two people know what really happened and one of them is dead.