PDA

View Full Version : 1920s ricer ?

Nubbinz
06-28-2011, 04:58 PM
It just hit me recently... So a guy who drives a Honda civic that almost drags the ground with a fart can and giant spoiler is a ricer, I was wondering if anyone knows if there was something like a ricer back in the 20's or 30s... <Insert Model T pic with neon lights and a turbo kit here>

RIDE-RED 250r
06-28-2011, 07:00 PM
In the 20s, the automobile was just beginning to be used by the masses and were mostly utilitarian in purpose. Not much in the way of shadetree customizing was going on at that point. What little there was was mainly among the wealthy and in those days, most pricey customization was more about comfort and luxury rather than horsepower...

In the 30s, (during the great depression) most people barely had enough money to put food on their tables, let alone spend money customizing cars. Many many people were much more pre-occupied with where their next meal was coming from than hopping up their ride.

The Great Depression overlapped the beginning of WWII and with WWII came rationing of almost everything to help the war effort. Rubber, metals, foodstuffs, fuels and so on were fairly strictly rationed during the war. So not much hot-rodding in this time period either.

Hot rodding didnt really kick into full swing till the 50s. WWII ended in '45, our boys started coming home and settling back into domestic life, the rationing poilicies were eliminated, and over the next few years the hot-rodding era began.

And yes, I would take a nice ol fire-breathing T-Bucket over 100 of the "best of the best" of the ricers...even if they can be faster.