PDA

View Full Version : atc250r crf/atc conversion

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
07-02-2011, 05:52 PM
this thing is sweet I wish i had it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATC250R-CRF-ATC-CONVERSION-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c1cf388c1QQitemZ12074 4806593QQptZATVs

Louis Mielke
07-02-2011, 09:12 PM
has a few problems but definitely a nice job. Sadly he'll be hard pressed to sell it for that much as a 250. if it was a 450 it be gone already.

Xpress
07-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Not a new bike but asking 5k for it?? Also look at that tiny gas tank. And it's a CRF 250, those engines suck.

200x350xtriz250
07-03-2011, 01:01 PM
has a few problems but definitely a nice job. Sadly he'll be hard pressed to sell it for that much as a 250. if it was a 450 it be gone already.

Please school my untrained eye because I think it looks very good. What are the problems you see?

Louis Mielke
07-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Well I'll preface this by saying that this is MY opinion but after a pretty long history with a bike conversion I think I've got a little experience here. First, mainly just personal cosmetic stuff that's strictly my taste, I wouldn't have cut the rear fenders toward the front like has been done. The front portions could have been easily tied in to the rest of the body work making it look cleaner and more factory. There's also a few other cosmetic odds and ends I would have done differently.

I also would suspect while although the rake is very very close, pulled in a little more would make that bike steer better. I would pull the forks up into the trees about an inch and a half and tilt the whole frame forward and then set the linkage to match.

I also feel the tire sizes don't quite match for the geometry of the bike once again, I personally would have made some different choices.

Finally while the swingarm isn't bad, i would suspect that it could have been accomplished without grafting the two arms together. I would have gone with the trx arm and modified the linkage and shock mounts around it.
It's hard to tell by the pictures but I'd also be a little concerned about the chain alignment.

I also would have used flat aluminum instead of diamond plate for the airbox.

I also would have done the work to put the trx pegs on the frame. The crf pegs just arn't big enough for aggressive riding and honestly, not in the right place for an atv.

I think you've mis-interpreted my post as a digg, where it was more a, "I might do it a little different but it looks nice." kinda of post.

He will be hard pressed to get that much money out of it, around here crf250s of similar age are selling used for less that $2500, I've seen them as low as $1600.

200x350xtriz250
07-03-2011, 02:52 PM
... after a pretty long history with a bike conversion I think I've got a little experience here....

...I think you've mis-interpreted my post as a digg, where it was more a, "I might do it a little different but it looks nice." kinda of post.....

I have seen pics and some info on at least 1 of your conversions which is why I asked for more info. I did not take your post as a digg or in a negative way at all, was truely just wanting to see what you saw - I have 0 experience with conversions. Thanx for the additional info.

I didn't notice the grafted swinger and agree on the rear plastics - wonder how they looked before being cut off - too wide perhaps??

Louis Mielke
07-03-2011, 02:55 PM
I have seen pics and some info on at least 1 of your conversions which is why I asked for more info. I did not take your post as a digg or in a negative way at all, was truely just wanting to see what you saw - I have 0 experience with conversions. Thanx for the additional info.

Cool! I stand corrected!

NOSBIGSHOT
07-03-2011, 04:19 PM
I saw that on E-Bay, I was wondering if anyone has a proven Unit that they would sell of be interested in making one . I'm not a stroke . Thanks

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
07-04-2011, 12:33 PM
theres a couple guys that make em or have them on hear I can't think of the names though. Do a forum search on 450 trike conversions. There is a company called tpc trikes that makes em.

motoman1012002
07-05-2011, 12:58 AM
the second 250 one I seen cool

Bretmd94
07-05-2011, 12:23 PM
I like the idea. I have definitely talked about a 250F trike, but using the dirt bike frame turns me off. I would rather modify an 85/86 atc frame and utilize the original ATC look. Maybe use some machined tripple clamps for the CRF250 forks, but it would be nice to keep an atc250r tank/shrouds/radiators etc.

rdlsz24
07-05-2011, 12:46 PM
It is very cool looking. At first glance I didn't notice the foot pegs being back too far until Louis said something.

Rob