PDA

View Full Version : New member

Toaster556
07-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi, long time lurker, new to posting here. Everyone calls me Toast, so I guess that's what I'll go by here too

A bit about myself and my history: I grew up farming and working on anything I could get my hands on. I've been riding and racing dirt bikes since I was 11, drag racing since I was 16 and recently discovered ATC racing. When I was 12 (10 years ago) I picked up a Suzuki ALT 185 that was missing a front end, grafted a rigid Honda front end on and used it as an arena float and to maintain my small practice track. It was fun to ride, but the lack of suspension and decent handling made it downright stupid to ride at speed.

I discovered this site when I started building up a Suzuki DR125, and discovered thru the awesome guys at the Thumpertalk DR-Z125 forum that the ALT/LT 185 piston and cylinder bolt up to give 153cc of displacement. I promptly swapped the piston and cylinder off my ALT and my 83 DR125 to make a torquier motor for the trike and a bigger motor for the dirt bike. Since then, I've collected 3 more 83 DR 100/125s and hatched a plan.

I'm gathering parts and reading forum posts like mad all summer, to build a ALT200S Suzuki sport trike. I'll be using a 83 DR100 frame, a hybrid DR100/LT230S swingarm sporting a LT230 axle and carrier, and a highly built DR100 motor with a stroker crank and GSXR600 SRAD piston. I have an idea to build a front hub to support either a 11, 10 or 8 inch front rim. All the plastic will be mid-eighties Suzuki trike, quad or dirt bike except the Trimoto front fender.

Things undecided or unknown are the front forks (got an idea on those too, I don't know if it will work yet) and the triple clamps. I have no idea what to do for a rear subframe, but I'm sure I can whip something up.

Anyways, that's all for now. There's still a Husqvarna 500XC calling my name that needs to be finished for good!:Bounce

Bustos82
07-03-2011, 02:36 AM
welcome.... post some pics of trailprotrailpro builds.

MonroeMike
07-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Toaster556
07-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to post some up of the trike. The Husky left my house for good yesterday, I got tired of trying to find parts for it. Believe it or not, ALT185 parts were easier to find:crazy:. It took me 2 months to get a NEW piston from Wossner!!

I'm planning on starting my build thread as soon as I find a LT230S complete back half.

Just and FYI, I'm planning on using as few Honda pieces as possible. It's nothing against Hondas or anyone that uses Honda bits on another brand's build, but I'd like to see where I can go without taking the easier route. Yes, I'm a sucker for punishment :D