PDA

View Full Version : ripped off

digschopper
07-09-2011, 06:49 PM
anyone here been robbed? i just found out a triumph 955i engine,tools,woodstove,saws are all gone.the idiots didnt take the 2 welders,but cut the cables off for the copper. i'm curious if you guys have been through this,and how you handled it.

jb2wheels
07-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Piss, bit#$ and moan.
File police report.
Still pissed.
File insurance claim.
Still pissed.
Eventually replace stuff and move on.

thestud25
07-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I had a 20 ft dovetail trailer with 2 marine Chevy 350 motors stolen. Livid pissed!!!!!

jays375
07-09-2011, 07:35 PM
They took the wood stove,hide the firewood.Or place some dynamite in it,this winter you will know who did it.Just kidding getting ripped off sucks.Lately there has been alot of stuff being stolen all around me.Mostly kids doing it for some quick drug money.Pisses me off you work hard for your things and some scumbag steals it looking for a quick fix.

jeswinehart
07-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Piss, bit#$ and moan.
File police report.
Still pissed.
File insurance claim.
Still pissed.
Eventually replace stuff and move on.

Yes, times 2 for me. Insurance come thru like troopers even though not listed or even proof of the boat motor stolen, I even told them that if I owed them money for asking/filing claim on boat motor i would pay them ,,,, (I was extremely well compensated w/o rate increase).
But yes the clip is still half inserted ready to slap rest of way in after 8 years ago and I pray I use in best of judgment

dcreel
07-09-2011, 07:55 PM
I have had the stereos in both of my cars stolen in one night. They broke the window of the car that was parked next to my bedroom window. The other was parked at the curb in front of the house. Apparently somebody got cut trying to pry the metal that held my deck in because the dumb@$$ bled all over the interior of my car. They hit 11 cars that night in the same neighborhood. The cops did absolutely nothing.. in Campbellsville, KY. They got the whole stereo, amp, 10 disc cd player and all after breaking the rear glass out of my GEO Storm. It was parked about 30 feet from my bedroom window. That was in Coffeyville, KS.

When I drove a 1980 Toyota 4X4 with 10" of lift they broke into it twice outside the girlfriends apt. complex in Costa Mesa, CA. I drove it for a while with a toggle switch and push button to start it. The third time it was gone. The cops found it in Santa Ana, CA (imagine that..) and the cop that filled out the paperwork wrote that it had been lit on fire and that the fingerprints were burnt off. It wasn't, he lied so he wouldn't have to fingerprint it. It was found in the carport of an apt, and they never even questioned the owners. My father (cop) called them and had words about that. I got it back without wheels and tires, smittybilt bumpers and rollbar, interior gone, exhaust gone. The rebuilt motor was still in it with the rebuilt trans. I sold it for $1500 to a guy who brought a pink steering wheel, bench seat, and 4 mismatched 31" tires and he drove it home..

Here is the truck

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/Cars%20and%20Trucks/toyota.jpg

digschopper
07-09-2011, 08:05 PM
there was no insurance. there were also firearms taken,including my mossberg riot gun,and an sks "with mods".the police admitted without serial numbers,its not looking good. i want revenge. it must be the next worse thing to freeking rape. i have a buddy staying there now,so maybe some night they'll come back...

Thorpe
07-10-2011, 08:37 AM
That sucks man! It sounds like they already knew what they wanted though...?? Do you have any suspects? I havent ever had anything big ripped off, but I would go ape-doody if it happened....

dougspcs
07-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Been there, got that Tshirt!!

In addition to the piss & moan, walk the neighbourhood banging on doors..tell the neighbours how pissed you are, ask them if the saw anything..they didn't. But be sure to tell them you are installing motion cameras tomorrow..whether you do or don't is up to you.

Since doing this I haven't had my property entered in 2 years..funny thing?? It's usually someone in your hood, or people coming and going regularlly. Get the word out you are a armed and crazy and your property is monitored..it should stop.

Just don't give them the opportunity to chump you twice!!!

brd812
07-10-2011, 11:35 AM
When I was getting out racing around 94 I placed my Banshee in the classifieds and a guy talked to my Mom for directions to come out and look at the bike, never showed up, that night our barn was broken into and my shee was pushed away. Two years later, Buddy calls and me at work and tells me to get to this bike shop, my shee is there. I said no way and when I pulled in there she set. I called the state police, he called owner, I proved it was mine w/ gbr stamps on the inside of the cases and fast by gast crank. I got my bike back, and the thief was stuck with the bill for new sleeves,rod, and pistons if I didn't make contact w/him or press charges. He was so going to get his ass handed to him.....scumm. I've kept it ever since and will never let her go again.

digschopper
07-10-2011, 03:16 PM
problem is,my place is pretty remote. i was living with my girlfriend over the winter 2 hrs away. they had plenty of time to pick and choose.i'm seriously thinking of setting traps and putting a chain or pole across the driveway. a buddy's staying there now,neighbors so far away they don't know i haven't been living there.

Jon Boy
07-10-2011, 03:48 PM
eh, might be careful what kind of traps you set. stuff like that can get YOU put in jail just the same.

Frankencelery
07-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Last week I was test riding my ATC90 after some carburetor work, and I rode down a trail at my neighbors place, turned around at the bottom of the hill, and glanced up at my tree stand which has been there for 3 years...and it wasn't. My safety strap and the clip was still there, but the tree stand was gone. I haven't called the police, because I figured there was nothing they would do anyway. I'm going to buy cable locks for the rest. Whether that will help or not I have no idea, but I have to do something.

The really crappy thing (besides losing your sh*t) is that right after something like this happens, you're really pissed and you want to lie in wait for them with your magnum in your lap, but of course you can't live like that and they never seem to come back while your guard is up. I've read a lot of stories from you guys about garages getting broken into and trikes and many other things getting stolen, but what I can't figure out is if there's really anything you can realistically do to protect your stuff. Security lights and locks may have some benefit, but not to a determined criminal.

Xpress
07-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Security lights and locks may have some benefit, but not to a determined criminal.

Today I saw a THICK chain (must have been about 3/4" thick, hardened steel) around a bike and the apartment building roof structure over the parking spots. Don't know where he got it, he said he got it from his uncle, but I can imagine it's going to dull every hack saw blade out there before they come close to cutting through, and ontop of that you would have to make a lot of noise if you wanted the bike.

Boat anchor chain maybe? I'm going to try and find some of that stuff, I like my bikes too much to not find some of it.

Dirtcrasher
07-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Sadly, there isn't a lock out there (or chain) that a cordless rt. angle grinder with a cutoff wheel can't get off on 30 seconds................

Frankencelery
07-10-2011, 10:40 PM
See, that's the problem...but I didn't know it was quite that bad. Do you think that applies to stranded cables too, DC?

pablo
07-11-2011, 01:12 AM
digs,
For legal stuff, file a report then check area Pawnshops.

For less than legal stuff think guerrilla tactics. Bait I mean accidently leave out something valuable and do what ya gotta do.

Remember, its difficult to convict when theres no body. Think mafia style.

oldskool83
07-11-2011, 07:48 AM
cordless electric battery dremels with a 1/2 disk wheel is an easy way to get somthing if they want somthing. i always keep that in mind now if i want to lock somthing up. or ya just dont have anything for them to take works too. sounds like they just wanted the heavy metal items, prob scrap yarded it to buy next weeks stash of weed.

Dirtcrasher
07-11-2011, 11:21 AM
See, that's the problem...but I didn't know it was quite that bad. Do you think that applies to stranded cables too, DC?

I have a cordless grinder with a 4" disc that will cut anything. Huge locks, stranded cables, hardened locks. You name it...... If they want it, they'll get it.

2Tim215
07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Security System! We have a High Resolution Security System and motion lights. Well worth the investment vs the loss if robbed. I have a Camera at every point of entry and exit. Security Systems have really dropped in price and you can find good used ones on eBay. Motion lights are very inexpensive and now you can even buy Energy Efficient high power bulbs. Most thieves will run when the lights come on as they don't know if you hit the switch or not! Hope this helps! Hope you can recover your losses also.

Frankencelery
07-11-2011, 12:15 PM
That's what I was afraid of. I don't have a cordless grinder, so I don't know how much power they have. Of course, someone with a nice cordless grinder in their possession might not be as inclined to steal a bunch of stuff for scrap iron, considering the costs. When you think of someone looking to get a fix, they would hock the grinder first, wouldn't they? But a nice trike...I'm sure it would be worth it.

I've thought about the new digital security video systems which certainly have come down in price. I would want the cameras to be visible, so it would be a deterrent. As much as the prospect of catching someone in the act appeals to me in a way, I fear that someone would end up badly injured, or worse. Best that they get scared away before even trying, and look for an easier target.

2Tim215
07-11-2011, 12:40 PM
With the Security System just be sure when you are ready to buy that you get one with wired Camera's. Most Camera's will come with a minimum 60' lead each which can be run through conduit if your worried about a wire getting clipped. I don't worry about my wires, they are quite high and where the four meet they come down through one conduit. Also with my system if I get a lost video signal on ANY Camera it will send me a e-mail or dial 911 and other pre-programmed numbers if you want it to. I also have two other Camera's. Most of my Camera's are in plain sight and even work great in complete darkness. So far we have been blessed without any major problems. Wireless Camera's operate on a frequency, usually 2.4 ghz and a smart thief could bring along a higher wattage transmitter that would take out the signal from the Camera to the Recorder which is why hard wired Camera's are better.

Six Stroke
07-11-2011, 01:50 PM
As long as this thread is going, has anyone had/heard of a Tecate being stolen in MN? There's a T3 sitting in the Todd County impound lot that was a theft recovery.

Scootertrash
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Also with my system if I get a lost video signal on ANY Camera it will send me a e-mail or dial 911 and other pre-programmed numbers if you want it to.

What brand/model number set up is this?

atc200xkid
07-11-2011, 11:58 PM
i havemy 20 gauge and 7mm loaded. if i catch someone stealing my shitand they try to run, they WILL leave in a body bag

kylegrimes
07-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Yea mine and my dads storage room got about 2500$ in tools a tv lesf blowers soo what did i do
got pissed
got a dip got pissed again
punched my truck (not a good idea)
got pissed because there was a dent in my truck
called the cop
got pissed because thiey didnt do trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro
went to sears and stared to get my tools back together
got pissed because it was so damn expensive
got over it and just got pissed again because i thought about it

kylegrimes
07-12-2011, 12:55 AM
O and a year befor that the got my 88 ranger 4x4 with dana 60's under it 6 inch lift 5.0 and a 5 speed out of a mustang and 44" procomps

2Tim215
07-12-2011, 11:59 AM
What brand/model number set up is this?
I'll have to pull out the paperwork for the Model. Its a Samsung Digital Video Recorder. No tapes and can record for up to 60 days. The lower setting, 30 days has much better Video Quality on playback. You can set it for Motion Recording and when a Camera detects Motion it will notify you if your not at home or you can choose continuous recording. Both settings will notify you you if there is any signal loss on any camera also. I can watch my property from across the world also and control my settings over the internet. I bought mine at Sams Club as they offer the best Extended Warranty should you need it and covers more than the manufacturer such as surge damage etc. Approx. $700.00 with tax and extended warranty. I also took the extra step to have a Camera on an old TV Rotor with two high output Flood Lights which will scan almost a complete 360! You can really be creative with this system and they offer a 8 Camera version also.

2Tim215
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
This is the one I have. I also have two other independent Camera's I use although four is plenty. Hope this helps!

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1620303

Scootertrash
07-12-2011, 10:44 PM
This is the one I have. I also have two other independent Camera's I use although four is plenty. Hope this helps!

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1620303

Thanks for the link!!

tri again
07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Harbor freight on sale
500 gig HD and 4 cameras. might vision and motion sensors

2500 hrs record time.
on sale for 150? but with the 20% coupon it's cheaper.

Now, for under 20 bucks..
a regular motion sensor light with a 50 cent good will radio plugged in.

You walk around my barn and you'll get blasted with either disco, country or the religious channel from the cheap annoyingly loud radios.
Motion sensor lights are like 10 bucks and the radios are everywhere.

You just NEED the old style radios with an actual clickswitch so it comes on with the power.

The newer stuff has those momentary on off contacts and will not come on when power comes on and off.

My next trick will be a cheap voice activated tape recorder.

Easily hidden and thieves are stupid enough to use real names when stealing stuff
and tend to whisper real loud.

digschopper
07-13-2011, 04:24 PM
i've needed to build some kind of workshop for a few years. so now it'll be a shop/fortress. grates over the windows,barred doors,and a car horn attached to the doors at night. beyond that,i deny EVERYTHING. and yeah,i'll be hanging out with the magnum on my lap ANYWAY.and dirtcrasher,that sounds like what we use for a loggin chain.

leviblue
07-13-2011, 06:13 PM
No matter what you do people will find a way to rip you off. You can only slow them down. Cameras are not as great as you think. I own a tattoo parlor in Camden NJ, one of the top 3 worst cities in the US. Google it and you'll see it's a warzone. My neighbor who has a clothing store thats been hit over 20 times in the last 3 years. He had the standard equ, camera and alarm. They tossed a cinderblock through the window. he put up a pull-down gate. They crashed a car into it. He put in a soild pull-down and they went in the air-vent. That was a total clean-out. He barred the vents and they broke in the empty building next door and went through a wall. All of this on camera as they cleaned out the whole store. Wall was fixed and the empty store was rented out. But they rented an apt upstairs and after one day they went in through the celling. Cleaned out again. So you think they'd have no more ways to get in......wrong they broke back into the building next door and went through the basement wall. Finally Hector had enough and asked me why I don't get hit. One word.... Gringo my shop mgrs pit-bull. He's locked in every night. He now uses her other pit Loco and hasen't had a problem. When it comes to them getting harmed they think twice. Cameras are no big deal to those that have nothing to loose.
At home I have cameras but if someone sees something they want all I get is a video of my stuff walking away. I even have cops that live right next door and I've had 2 bikes ripped with they drinking in the backyard. My house has been hit twice and both times were foiled by my GSD. One guy he got by the arm through my window. Cops got him at the door and he tried to sue me over the damage to his arm. The judge wasn't happy and ripped his lawyer a new one.
Nothing is SAFE but you can make it harder for them........ Good luck here's what I use at home. They tell me Sammy's bark sounds like "Sic Balls" http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/leviblue/016-2.jpg

digschopper
07-20-2011, 01:01 PM
they got more than i thought. the front end of my matching-numbers '68 bsa lightning,a sandblasting cabinet,a roll-around harbor freight blaster,5 cd changer...the list keeps growing. what utter touch-holes!

digschopper
07-20-2011, 01:05 PM
yeah,it's getting sued when i've already lost nearly everything that scares me,and i shouldn't be the scared one. btw,he's a beauty of a shephard!