PDA

View Full Version : Run in with da po po

Xpress
07-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Me and a couple of the local Sheriffs got to know each other pretty well today...

Basically me and my other 3 wheelin buddy were going home when a sheriff SUV passed us. I looked around to see him making the turn we just went through then didn't think much of it.

Did a quick lookback heading up my street and I see him at the end of the road, wasn't sure if he was passing or not, but didn't think anything of it until I heard a knocking on my door. Opened it to see him standing on my porch, then we got to talking. Basically he said that there is a guy who calls DAILY and annoys the crap out of them to come up and get us to stop, but it's not just us 3 wheelers, it's EVERYBODY from dirt bikers, quads, even pedal bikers or rowdy kids. Said he really doesn't care about us riding up here, but when he has to deal with the calls daily, he had to get it all sorted out.

So he took my info, and told me to tell everybody I know to stop riding down there because it's private property, or until we can figure out who owns the property and get permission. Also said that if he really wanted to he could impound my 200x and give me a ticket, but he didn't. And mentioned that next time they get a call out there, my name is linked to it, although he knows I don't go down there all the time (which I don't, maybe once or twice a week just for a few mins) and if they find out I was down there, it's a misdemeanor. :eek:

So I guess I've got some research to do to figure out who owns the property that everybody and their mother rides on so I can get everybody off my back. In the meantime, I guess I will park the bikes and let things mellow out.

Anybody else deal with this? An innocent stress relieving ride turns into a very stressful situation?

Xpress
07-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Well if I knew he was trying to chase me down I would have stopped, but seeing as how I didn't, I just went home. They're usually pretty cool about this stuff. It's usually always me that gets in trouble, and my reckless and cocky friend never does :(

BriansTrike
07-10-2011, 11:18 PM
yea their cracking down hard here they just bought 9 new police quads (200cc Blasters) lol because the careless people that fly up and down city roads with no helmet. :( theirs been 2 deaths involeing atvs already this summer one was on a ytm200 just like mine. but yea its not fair for us that ride with gear and in the trails!!!!

BiGDawG
07-10-2011, 11:28 PM
me and jay got caught 1 day and after that they seem to drive down my road a few times a day now just to make sure we don't go riding down the back roads.. i mean we even went in 1 huge square so not to annoy the neighbors.. but i guess your only allowed to ride on the side of the back roads if your going to or from trials and must have an orv helmet so on..

anyway he got are names and address and if where caught again then i'm sure will get in trouble and not get off with a warning again

Frankencelery
07-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Sounds like they were pretty cool about it. A few years ago my buddy and I got busted at a local public access, which isn't much more than a parking lot and a boat launch. It was after midnight, and it was a local sheriff's deputy. He asked the usual questions, where do you live, and all that. We were about a mile from home, and we were nice and cooperative, and he was cool as could be. When we told him how we got there on the gravel roads, he practically put his fingers in his ears and said he didn't want to know how we got there, because we're not allowed on the roads. We talked for about 10 minutes, and he drove away. Couldn't believe it! I don't know if I'd get that lucky ever again.

Xpress
07-10-2011, 11:34 PM
I have dealt with a few police officers up here before, but they honestly didn't care. Said they only came up because dispatch called them up. This time was different, I guess because this idiot keeps harassing them.

Headsup
07-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Lol funny is, I just fixed my trike today,
Went to test it out, Hit some jumps and stuff,
Its a Little dirt track kids use for their bikes,
So i ride up there, Well today a cop came in, and kicked me off, Said im not aloud to ride there, If i didnt have permission. So i am like wow wtf, Its a dirt track like in woods. So idk what im going to do now, Just fixed it and now i have no place to ride it. Bummer..

98600xc
07-10-2011, 11:45 PM
. It's usually always me that gets in trouble, and my reckless and cocky friend never does :(

I have the same problem. I have been stopped multiple times and I always wear my helmet and what-not, while my buddy rides his wheeler around with no helmet or registration and never gets in trouble... It's no the cops around here, it's the conservation officers. they all seem like jerks that are just out to take your money... just my opinion. i know they have a job to do, but alot of the officers around here are power-crazy...

pablo
07-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Xpress,
Welcome to the new amerika.

I wonder what your daily complainer will do when a bunch of medicinal marijuana users hang out in that area.

Xpress
07-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Xpress,
Welcome to the new amerika.

I wonder what your daily complainer will do when a bunch of medicinal marijuana users hang out in that area.

He will call them if someone is walking their dog wrong. He has mental issues, I swear :crazy:

Chazz of Blades
07-11-2011, 04:50 AM
Sorry, but there's no smart sense in complaining about a cop, who, only came down due to numerous and repeated calls from, whether you like it or not, a fellow citizen with the same rights, and didn't impound your trike or anything.

If you called about people, they'd come the same way, it's their job, and it's a darn good thing they are a call away sometimes.

There's a saying around here, "You'll complain every chance you get about the Police, until you need em."

You got lucky, try and DRIVE down and talk to the land owner, if he says that you have permission, get it in writing with his signature, and keep that in your wallet. If not, don't try your luck a second time.

I'd be pissed too if tons of people were riding on my land without my permission, if someone gets killed on your land, you can be sued (IIRC), for not having the land closed off to trespassing.

If the guy is just mental, it still won't hurt to ask his permission, very nice and politely.

hublake
07-11-2011, 06:07 AM
me and jay got caught 1 day and after that they seem to drive down my road a few times a day now just to make sure we don't go riding down the back roads.. i mean we even went in 1 huge square so not to annoy the neighbors.. but i guess your only allowed to ride on the side of the back roads if your going to or from trials and must have an orv helmet so on..

anyway he got are names and address and if where caught again then i'm sure will get in trouble and not get off with a warning again

You should check the law in Michigan about ATVs and riding on the roads. When the law was passed a couple of years ago it only covered the counties in Northern Michigan and the UP. I know there was talk about expanding it to cover counties in the southern part of the state, but I don't know if that has happened.

TatTooL23
07-11-2011, 08:14 AM
In my home town area u c atv's on the main road every single weekend. No exaggeration. U c a dirt bike, 4 wheelers, tractors, etc....

This is my opinion and what myself and all my friends ALWAYS do. If we by chance have to go on roads we only go slow and on the side of the road. I'm talking like 2nd gear slow. If evey rider could do this then things would be 80% different for the better.

When a person, citizen, land owner, or mental person calls the police to complain, the police have to do something. It is their job and duty. But people always call and complain because the riders fly by houses at full speed and often with loud machines. So the citizen hate to hear that loud noise and feel it's stupid and unsafe for them to be going that fast and right in the middle of the road. And they r correct in that. So we have found just slowly moving along the side of the road, like completely outside of the line if possible really makes a difference. I understand that some people have nothing better to do then complain about "kids raising hell" but we need to try and help it ourselves as much as we can. So if we r slow and quiet and as safe as we can be and come off as more grown up about it I think it could go a very long way. We have found that people often wave to us if they r outside now. We give a wave back and continue quiet and slow until off their property or on a trail. This is just my opinion on the situation and for us it has worked so far.

Lots of tractors or that sort of thing go by right up the road and they r loud. But they r going very slow and as much to the side as possible.

2Tim215
07-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Permission is the key for sure and like stated above carry it with you. As long as you are legal you should have no worries. I register and insure my trikes that are used off of my property. Stock or quiet exhaust helps too! A lot of complaints are because of the noise. I only have 1 acre. We are currently thinning out the whole border so we at least have somewhere to ride legally until some place with more room pops up.

Dirtcrasher
07-11-2011, 11:40 AM
They even come by my house and bust my chops on my own property, during the day.

It isn't right, I pay my 4K a year taxes. I should be able to use my land anyway I wish.

I understand they have to answer the complaint, but it suks.............

Xpress
07-11-2011, 11:50 AM
To clear the confusion:

The guy I am talking about who harasses the police daily does NOT own the property we ride on, and he complains about EVERYTHING people do on it, even if we're just hiking on the mountain (which is county property). The landowner is someone entirely different, but we don't know who he is or where he even lives.

And yeah, I'm totally going to sue the property owner if I break my arm doing something of my own damn fault :rolleyes:

Dirtcrasher
07-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Go to your registry of deeds, find out who owns it and make up a waiver, sign it and see if he;ll go along with it..... Present the waiver AFTER simply asking for permission.

Frankencelery
07-11-2011, 12:37 PM
I agree with you that it's stupid to sue the landowner. However, you may not have any choice in the matter. If you were killed or gravely injured, someone might sue on your behalf. The basic rule these days is to sue whoever you can and see who you can get money out of. If I was the landowner, I would put No Trespassing signs all over the place to try to reduce my liability, but maybe turn a blind eye to the people riding on it, assuming I didn't mind.

We used to ride a lot at a local quarry that is no longer in use. It was a blast, but they fixed the fences and posted signs making it very clear that they didn't want anyone in there. I admit, we were feeling like "we got screwed by the man". This is of course, totally ridiculous. I'm 44 years old, and I know better. A property owner should have the rights to do whatever they want with their property, and if having it left alone is what they want, then it is their right. I still ride up there from time to time and look longingly at the old piles and wish they'd sell it to the county and turn it into an ATV park or something.

Xpress, I know this is not your situation, I'm just commenting on the general subject. Your neighbor is obviously just mad at the world and enjoys minding everyone else's business. My boss hunts on a property where the lady who lives adjacent to it calls the DNR officer every time she sees a hunter on the land, and they have to come out and check hunting licenses. Basically a complete waste of resources.

Frankencelery
07-11-2011, 12:47 PM
DC, why the heck are they bothering you on your property? Are you in the city or country? How much property do you have?

fabiodriven
07-11-2011, 12:50 PM
It's because he lives in Massachusetts.

2Tim215
07-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I also like to do Metal Detecting and we have a "Release of Liability" which clearly states that we are FULLY responsible for any injuries that will be covered by our insurance. Some states or family members may not honor it but it gives the property owner some peace of mind. Hopefully family members will honor it as well in the event of a accidental death knowing that the owner blessed us with permission to ride and enjoy our hobby! Its worth a shot and a incentive for them to allow it. A lot of property owners know people are going to ride anyway as you can't catch everyone if you have a lot of acreage so the Release should be attractive. We personally respect any landowner that doesn't want us riding. Our neighbors ride and are reckless which makes it hard for us as they usually don't wear helmets and are loud.

Xpress
07-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I think even if the property owner posted signs like "ENTER AT OWN RISK" then it would get everybody off mine and the rest of us offroaders backs, because he is giving permission to ride there, but only at our own risk.

Go to your registry of deeds, find out who owns it and make up a waiver, sign it and see if he;ll go along with it..... Present the waiver AFTER simply asking for permission.

Yeah, I guess I will have to. I know he is a resident up here, and there is a kid I know about who knows him- I see him on the occasion.

Or just buy the damn property off him. Rent a bobcat and go to town :D

rdlsz24
07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
We used to ride a lot at a local quarry that is no longer in use. It was a blast, but they fixed the fences and posted signs making it very clear that they didn't want anyone in there. I admit, we were feeling like "we got screwed by the man". This is of course, totally ridiculous. I'm 44 years old, and I know better. A property owner should have the rights to do whatever they want with their property, and if having it left alone is what they want, then it is their right. I still ride up there from time to time and look longingly at the old piles and wish they'd sell it to the county and turn it into an ATV park or something.

Same thing happened at a quarry we used to ride at. It was my favorite place to ride. Yeah it sucked when they dropped the hammer on us but I figured we were on borrowed time anyway

Rob

Xpress
07-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Also is there some privacy law that prevents the officers from just coming onto my property and snooping around? It's all fenced off, aside form the gate which we leave open during the day when we're here...

jeffatc250r
07-11-2011, 01:38 PM
It's because he lives in Massachusetts.

Yup, this state BLOWS
If i wasnt so attached to friends and family, id start fresh somewhere better, like new hampshire.
But im prob not going anywhere, so i just adapt.
I love my trikes, but a street legal 2wheeled critter allows me to enjoy the offroad scene much more.

thestud25
07-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Also is there some privacy law that prevents the officers from just coming onto my property and snooping around? It's all fenced off, aside form the gate which we leave open during the day when we're here...

All the police need to come on to your property is probable cause. They can pretty much come up with any reason to come onto your property. You are protected against unlawful search, which I exercise to the fullest extent. Make them get a search warrant to enter your home. If your fenced yard is chainlink, and they can see trikes, bikes, etc that is their probable cause anytime someone complains. Regardless if it is you riding down there or not.

Xpress
07-11-2011, 03:03 PM
This is why I hate people like that neighbor. His harassment leads to another persons long time misery. Guess it's time to enclose my trikes into a shed.

oldnumbr7
07-11-2011, 03:37 PM
sounds like the complaining party is a grumpy old man! if he even complains about kids riding bikes and stuff. As far as him " the officer" being able to impound your trike i've personally never heard of them being able to do that when its on your property. I can see them being able to do it if you are on " a property without permission" or on Main roads or somewhere thats not off road. Technically he cant come back and give you a misdameanor if he " hears of you being there" thats considered profiling and harassment. Same goes with that he cannot give you a ticket, or charge unless he stops you on the property you didnt have permission to be on or on the road . Granted he was just doing his job after numerous complaints , but at the same time if the officer or police department know this guy keeps calling and calling and calling over nonsense type stuff why not go talk to the " complaining party" and tell them to relax and quit calling over nonsense stuff. Atleast he didnt stop you when you was on the road and give you a ticket and stuff and seemed like a decent cop. I would get permission if you can to ride there or try to find you somewhere else to ride. or see if anyone else who is on this site is in your area that may have a place you can ride or meet up to go ride.. well i put in my newbie 2 cents lol i would also check out the laws there just so you know just incase you come into this problem again

Xpress
07-11-2011, 04:14 PM
I know the officers are just doing their job, and i'm not mad directly at them, what I'm pissed off about is this guy who keeps harassing everyone. It's impossible to talk to him too. He's been out filming us numerous times, threatening to put us on Terko Files and all of this crap. You can totally tell his brain is just messed up, and every time he has the same excuse about how "You are blowing the dust into the girls house who has asthma and she is going to have an asthma attack then sue you and you will go to jail because you can't pay for her medical bills and you might also break your arm or your leg or fall into a ravine and not be able to get yourself out."- literally, that's what he says each time. Mental insanity I tell you.

Might have to bring a possey of riders and confront this guy about his issues. We don't do anything to him- and he has told us that too, yet he feels the need to defend this asthmatic girl THAT DOESN'T EVEN LIVE THERE (moved out years ago).

oldnumbr7
07-11-2011, 05:32 PM
hmm wonder if you could file harassment charges against him seeings how he is harassing you " riders" and calling the cops on you guys all the time the way i look at it thats harassment . but then again im not a law official or anything but still some how you guys should beable to ride hopefully you get it all straightened out soon i know how bad it sucks not being able to ride when you want

oldtime3wheeler
07-11-2011, 06:15 PM
It sounds like he was being pretty cool. I dont know how it is in Cali, but here in my part of Pa just contact your local courthouse. Ask for a tax parcel map that consists of the wacko's address and it should have atleast one if not both on each side of him. This way you will roughly be able to figure out if its his property or someone elses. Get proof then he can call the police all he wants.

Dirtcrasher
07-11-2011, 09:52 PM
hmm wonder if you could file harassment charges against him seeings how he is harassing you " riders" and calling the cops on you guys all the time the way i look at it thats harassment . but then again im not a law official or anything but still some how you guys should beable to ride hopefully you get it all straightened out soon i know how bad it sucks not being able to ride when you want

How can he? he is on private property he doesn't own, some roads may be involved (IDK). Unless it's your land, it is unfortunately "illegal"............ Neighbors can complain all they want unless the police get sick of it.

atc007
07-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Lol funny is, I just fixed my trike today,
Went to test it out, Hit some jumps and stuff,
Its a Little dirt track kids use for their bikes,
So i ride up there, Well today a cop came in, and kicked me off, Said im not aloud to ride there, If i didnt have permission. So i am like wow wtf, Its a dirt track like in woods. So idk what im going to do now, Just fixed it and now i have no place to ride it. Bummer..

Do you know who owns the property??