PDA

View Full Version : Ebay sellers: Know they what they are selling?

falloutboy
07-12-2011, 02:40 AM
With my recent need of a swing arm pivot bolt on my 250R, I have been digging through ebay. There are sellers saying a bolt that
will work on all year trx450r's ,trx400ex's and 86-89 trx250r's

Yet, when I look up oem parts I get three different part numbers for the three different bikes.

250r (85/86 atc & 86-89trx) (http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/278550-honda-90117-ha2-000-hard-parts-bolt-rr-swingarm)

450r (all years) (http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/368142-honda-52101-hp1-000-hard-parts-bolt-swingarm-pivot)

400ex (all years) (http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/347293-honda-90121-hn1-000-hard-parts-bolt-swingarm-pivot)

Whats up here? Because if I can go order a 450r pivot bolt for twenty-some dollars and it's the same as a 250r one that cost $67 new, I'll be going for the twenty something dollar one.

:wondering

ZackW
07-12-2011, 02:44 AM
Sellers don't care if they wrongly list something as compatible when it's not, they just want the crap sold. They figure by the time ya get the item and screw with trying to install it, you won't wanna deal with the added hassle of trying to return it (which you'll probably be past their policy period anyway).

falloutboy
07-13-2011, 01:46 AM
such BS. I got this as a reply:

this bolt fits the bikes listed ,the bolt varies for different year atc 250r's

Xpress
07-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Send him the proof that his part could potentially turn into a headache if he doesn't list it properly.

Scootertrash
07-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Sellers don't care if they wrongly list something as compatible when it's not, they just want the crap sold. They figure by the time ya get the item and screw with trying to install it, you won't wanna deal with the added hassle of trying to return it (which you'll probably be past their policy period anyway).

Really? If a seller lists his items incorrectly, or wrong intentionally (to "just get the crap sold" as you put it), and doesn't make the deal right, they get bad feedback, and after enough bad feedback they won't get sales, so that kind of puts the binders on getting rid off stuff on ebay doesn't it?

And yes, there really can be sellers who don't know what they are selling. People buy stuff at auctions, flea markets, and estate sales and sell it on ebay to make money (or try to).

Reputable sellers are trying to run a business and a business can't succeed without customers. Make sure a seller has good feedback. Make sure they guarantee the part will fit or you get to return it free of charge, do it in a n email and keep it in case you need it for proof.

I've been buying off of ebay for years. Everything from antiques to gun parts to wheeler parts to small engine parts, you name it. I have well over 400 feedbacks for my purchases and you know how many times I got the wrong thing? Twice. Once was a mix up in shipping and the parts were swapped to the proper owners for free and once was a mix up in the order at the seller, again replaced in record time, for free, and they didn't want the wrong part back and told me to keep it.

Falloutboy- Service Honda has your ATC250R part number 90117-HA2-000 for 59.80, just in case you do need to order one ;) :

http://www.servicehonda.com/order-parts/already-have-a-part-number

250rmanfmf
07-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Really? If a seller lists his items incorrectly, or wrong intentionally (to "just get the crap sold" as you put it), and doesn't make the deal right, they get bad feedback, and after enough bad feedback they won't get sales, so that kind of puts the binders on getting rid off stuff on ebay doesn't it?

And yes, there really can be sellers who don't know what they are selling. People buy stuff at auctions, flea markets, and estate sales and sell it on ebay to make money (or try to).

Reputable sellers are trying to run a business and a business can't succeed without customers. Make sure a seller has good feedback. Make sure they guarantee the part will fit or you get to return it free of charge, do it in a n email and keep it in case you need it for proof.

I've been buying off of ebay for years. Everything from antiques to gun parts to wheeler parts to small engine parts, you name it. I have well over 400 feedbacks for my purchases and you know how many times I got the wrong thing? Twice. Once was a mix up in shipping and the parts were swapped to the proper owners for free and once was a mix up in the order at the seller, again replaced in record time, for free, and they didn't want the wrong part back and told me to keep it.

Falloutboy- Service Honda has your ATC250R part number 90117-HA2-000 for 59.80, just in case you do need to order one ;) :

http://www.servicehonda.com/order-parts/already-have-a-part-number

Ditto
I have been selling on ebay for years and mis listing an item cost me money and feedback and is not worth it

rdlsz24
07-13-2011, 11:10 PM
I notice many times on eBay with trike parts they incorrectly lump models together, saying it will fit all. For example I always see 200x engine parts saying fits 83-87 even though not many parts fit both generations. Your best bet is to do the research like you are doing and when in doubt order from an online seller with the parts fiche.

Rob

bkm
07-13-2011, 11:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the bolt from the new models will work on the liquid R's. Don't quote me, but I have read that somewhere.

EDIT: Its true, here is where I read it. http://www.trx250r.net/trx250rforums/index.php?showtopic=10916&st=0&p=75384&#entry75384

falloutboy
07-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Very interesting bkm. Thanks alot for the info. This makes things much better :)

Scootertrash
07-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Thanks bkm, good info!!

falloutboy
07-15-2011, 03:59 AM
With the info from bkm, I called the the local honda shop today and picked up a 450r bolt for $25 (in stock even). It looks like it will work great.

bkm
07-15-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm glad I can help. That sure is a much cheaper alternative to the oem bolt for $70.

KASEY
07-15-2011, 12:11 PM
FUNNY HOW YOU ALL MISSED THE POINT,, those swingarm bolts are all the same,,, they will all fit each other.. so he listed it properly,,,,, looks like the seller knew what he was doing and the BUYERS are uninformed.............. hell do a search here on the site .. i am sure its been posted several times .....

falloutboy
07-16-2011, 04:23 AM
LOL, Ya. I assumed that different part numbers meant different parts, right? wrong. Leave it to honda (and probably every other parts manufacturer) to renumber something and charge 3x more....