PDA

View Full Version : Bleed car brakes by yourself!

thestud25
07-12-2011, 02:50 PM
If this is in the wrong forum or not allowed please pull it down. If not, I figured 90% of us on here wrench on cars as well, and this is great if you do your own brakes.

My father-in-law invented this and I actually saw it demonstrated live. I now own one, since I do my own brakes as well as friends(for a bottle of Crown:p). Anyways, here is the link. Let me know if you order one and your feedback is always welcome. Oreilly Autoparts is demoing it and if they pick it up the price is going to go up(as they set their product pricing).

http://realfixesrealfast.com/realfixesrealfast.com/Most_Recent_Videos/Pages/Pedal_Pumper.html

atctim
07-12-2011, 03:16 PM
So simple - yet no one ever invented it before. Pretty cool invention. And you Pa-in-Law invented it which makes it even cooler - hope you got yours for free!

thestud25
07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Lol, not free but got the in-law discount. He invented this thing like 20years ago. He started at a new shop and the owner saw it and put it on that website. Pretty cool and useful in my book.

R-tifacts
07-12-2011, 04:35 PM
handy tool for sure. about what do they run?

D-dub
07-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Awesome invention!!

thestud25
07-12-2011, 05:12 PM
handy tool for sure. about what do they run?

I believe that are $165. They come with 25ft of airline, and the hand valve to make it work. Just hook it to the air compressor, brake pedal, and wheel and you are good to go.

fabiodriven
07-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Or you could get one of these. I've used 'em many times.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-1-Brake-Bleeder-Vacuum-Pump-Test-Tuner-Kit-Tools-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a83ded62QQitemZ29058 5439586QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Dirtcrasher
07-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Very nice invention.

If any of you want the easiest method I've found to be foolproof, here it is. A simple 20oz clean Gatorade bottle half filled with fluid, a clear hose about 2-3' long that fits SNUG over the bleeder, a bleeder wrench and some brake fluid. You merely crack the bleeder open and slowly push the pedal down and pull it up. Keep the reservoir full and keep doing it till all the bubbles are gone out the top of the fluid in the bottle. The hose must stay in the fluid. Once the bubbles are gone, tighten the bleeder. I have not "pumped brakes up" in at least 20 years and I always get all the bubbles out and end up with a firm pedal..........

thestud25
07-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Those are fine too, but this works great and I have perfect results the several times I have used it.

tri again
07-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Very nice invention.

If any of you want the easiest method I've found to be foolproof, here it is. A simple 20oz clean Gatorade bottle half filled with fluid, a clear hose about 2-3' long that fits SNUG over the bleeder, a bleeder wrench and some brake fluid. You merely crack the bleeder open and slowly push the pedal down and pull it up. Keep the reservoir full and keep doing it till all the bubbles are gone out the top of the fluid in the bottle. The hose must stay in the fluid. Once the bubbles are gone, tighten the bleeder. I have not "pumped brakes up" in at least 20 years and I always get all the bubbles out and end up with a firm pedal..........

I've gotten so frustrated that I've run aquarium tubing from the bleeders back into the reservoir.
If any of this cool stuff doesn't work, it's usually because the pedal or hand lever doesn't go back far enough to grab new/more fluid.
On my 2 wheeler, I had to take the brake lever OFF the h. bars so it would release back far enough to grab more fluid.

That had 3 of us bleeding for a couple hrs before we figured it out.

Our old shop and a pressure back bleeder.
Low air pressure over brake fluid and it would press fluid back from the wheel cylinders into the master.
but it would also push back disgusting dead fluid that had been in the wheel cylinders for how ever many years.