PDA

View Full Version : MX Helmet recommendation

mirthgrinder
07-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Can anyone recommend a good MX helmet? I normally ride only in the winter so my full-face cruising helmet (Black with tinted visor) works fine, but here lately I've been wanting to go to the dirt tracks around here and I would bake my brain with the full face helmet...

Any help would be appreciated!

MG

Billy Golightly
07-17-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm a fan of Arai ones...

300rman
07-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I love my fox helmets. you should be able to pick up a V2 Fox MX helmet for a hundred bucks. very comfortable, breathes well, and will definitely cushion your noggin.

NOSBIGSHOT
07-18-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm a fan of Arai ones...

Arai is a wicked helmet . I have a big head so they dont fit . I usually buy the most expensive Shoei that I can stuff my head in .

Jerm1179
07-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I love my 8series O'neal

Tri-Z 250
07-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I recomend going and spending some time trying some on. The difference in manufactures and fit varies and not all XXL are as big as you think. Price can determine choice, more than you expect as well. Bell, Shoei, Arai all top of the line but cost pretty big coin...If I could afford one I'd wear either 3brands. Cost restrants keep me in the 100-150 range, but I switch mine out every 5yrs or BIG headslap. HJC, FOX, O'neil, Answer,as well as others offer affordable product. Some large cycle shops carry the gamit of variety go and see what you like. Fit wise you want snug-comfert, yes the pads for the cheek should fit to the face. Rule of thumb you should be able to grab face peice and move the helmet slightly side to side no more than 1/2" of play chin strap on. As you sweat the helmet will naturally soften. Too comfertable can be dangerous from twisting in a crash and too tight leads to headachs. All the helmets meet or often exceed US DOT standards just make sure the one you buy has the lable.

Billy Golightly
07-18-2011, 12:40 PM
One thing I like about the Arais, and notice that 99% of the other helmets don't have it, is a rounded chin bar. http://www.araiamericas.com/helmets/vx-pro3.html Most other helmets, especially the cheaper ones kind of come to a point or are raised at the chin vent. That is potentially hazardous if it sticks in the ground and something and jerks your neck...the Arai will just sort of skid more across it, trust me, I know :lol: They aren't the cheapest helmets out there but they are very durable, very very comfortable, and they are pretty light weight too.

robtech
07-18-2011, 02:57 PM
It's all according to your budget. Just make sure it's SNELL approved! As far as the brand, that's whatever you can afford.

NOSBIGSHOT
07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
If you have a $50 dollar head wear a $50 dollar helmet . I crash often , I'm 6'2 and ride way over the bars so I tend to land head first . The thing I noticed about helmets now days is they all look like a Tap Out T-Shirt . What happened to plain ?

dcreel
07-18-2011, 04:18 PM
If you have a $50 dollar head wear a $50 dollar helmet . I crash often , I'm 6'2 and ride way over the bars so I tend to land head first . The thing I noticed about helmets now days is they all look like a Tap Out T-Shirt . What happened to plain ?

Very true.. I've been buying the expensive helmets when they are a year old or so for the better picing.. I really want one of the Troy Lee Malcolm Smith helmets..

zzmegad
07-18-2011, 04:22 PM
yeah I like a plain white helmet too, Im in the market for a new one also... and a pair of boots.. mmm.. I better start workin some OT