PDA

View Full Version : "No load flasher relay" or basically I need a turn signal relay that works for LED's.

fabiodriven
07-20-2011, 12:20 PM
So I put a set of LED turn signals on my Buell and they don't flash because of the lack of draw that the LED's have. Incandescent bulbs are an integral part of the circuit that make them flash, the relay relies on the load they draw in order to operate the flashing mechanism. As best as I can find, all I'm going to need is a "no load" flasher that is designed to work with LED's. My problem is this- The info I am finding from searching on the interned is very conflicting and sends me in 10 different directions. I was initially under the impression that all I needed to do was go to the local auto parts store and get a "no load" flasher relay. I found this information last week in the Buell forum I belong to. When I searched for the thread today, I could not find it. The layout of that particular forum sucks and they do not have a search feature. Yes, a forum with no search feature. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

I ride my bike daily and have been without turn signals for two days now. I may be going into downtown Boston today or tomorrow and I want my blinkers to work like ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all.

BTW, if anybody can find a way to search this forum could you please let me know? http://www.buellxb.com/

Mosh
07-20-2011, 12:28 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/NO-money-LED-flasher-mod

fabiodriven
07-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Good god Rob, how the flock did you find that? That almost makes me more angry! Lol! I'm going to do that right now and report back. You're alright buddy....

There's no place like 3ww, there's no place like 3ww, there's no place like 3ww....

Mosh
07-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in awhile. Hope it works for you.
I am not a member there so the search wanted me to sign in.
The search link was in the top left page in the blue column if you need it.

fabiodriven
07-20-2011, 01:25 PM
For whatever reason there is no search feature there for me.

Xpress
07-20-2011, 01:49 PM
I believe if you add a 10ohm resistor to the circuit that they should begin to flash. Don't ask me how to wire it up, I just know that it should work :p

fabiodriven
07-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Mosh, the two relays that they showed in that thread were both different than mine. In other words, that mod won't work for my bike. That's exactly the kind of runaround I was getting for the last two days. Finally somebody gave me a definitive answer on a relay that does work and for $13 and a five minute ride to the store I am done. Thank Christ. Thanks a lot for your help Rob.

There are ways to do that Xpress, but it's a pain in the tits. Everyone says a different way to do it and it doesn't even work for everyone. $13 and ten minutes of time including install and buying the part, I'll leave the soldering gun in the drawer.

fabiodriven
07-20-2011, 04:33 PM
I just made a big mess over on that forum... Guess that tends to happen when I'm new. Lol

dcreel
07-20-2011, 05:18 PM
How do I become Four-Star General?? That's my only question.. :lol:

Mosh
07-20-2011, 06:02 PM
I just made a big mess over on that forum... Guess that tends to happen when I'm new. Lol
Wow. I cant say I am shocked (I remember your start here being a lil rocky too.)...You tend to bounce on to a new forum, like a lit cigarette blowing across a parking lot, towards a puddle of spilled gasoline. LOL. You should have started a thread about oil..LMAO

But your intentions are good. They will get over it, unless they are going to get all emotional and stuff.

So you found a solution then to the bike?

fabiodriven
07-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Ha! Good description Rob!

I did end up with a solution. One of the members there actually suggested the proper relay and it was on the shelf at the local parts store. Worked like a charm!