PDA

View Full Version : OK like WTF. $1800 for 6 monthes of insurance on my 77 Ford

Billy Golightly
10-28-2003, 09:05 PM
Ok, now as most of you know I have a 77 Ford F-250 play truck. Now I've been wanting to get this thing added onto my parents insurance policy so I could have a weekend warrior of the sorts to cruise in town with and what not. Now I've been working on this thing on and off ever since I was like 13, and when I found out it'll cost me $1800 for 6 monthes of insurance with my dad as the primary driver, I about croaked. I don't have any tickets, no one in my family has tickets, we've had insurance with these folks for about 10 years...I don't get the deal. Its pretty much made me re-think the whole situation and consider just selling the truck, because if I can't drive it there no sense in spending money and time on trying to fix it.

Dynofox
10-28-2003, 09:20 PM
Get quotes from other insurance companies. Try progressive or geico, they're suposed to be pretty good.

Billy Golightly
10-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Yup...tried several different companies, I almost have my ID for the truck memorized. Geico I think was the cheapest one at $1650 some a month...not enough to make a difference unfourtanetly.

HemiChallenger71
10-28-2003, 09:49 PM
What a crock of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. I know my parents got around having to pay a lot of money for me being on their insurance. Michigan has a system where the people who live in the hosue with a drivers liscence MUST be on the insurance. Becasue we're younger more "un-safe" drivers they jack up rates, even if the young people dont have a vehicle even if they're not the owners of the house's kids. Insurance is the biggest crock of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro ever, and it should not be required to have on a vehicle. What kind of insurance did you get? I hope you got quotes for more than minimum no-fault coverage. If thsoe are the quotes for the no-fault, then screw that. Get insurance once let it run out, and keep your proff of insurance in the car. I got into an accident with someone that did this though (wasnt me without insurance or my fault), and now I'm going to court with the guy thursday about the whole matter.

Billy Golightly
10-28-2003, 09:55 PM
Hemi,

Didn't get it (Can't afford it!) But, it woulda been PIP (Personal Injury Protection) and pretty decent Liability insurance (Like 250k I think, I can't remember for sure). As much as I'd like to be running around without insurance (hell I've even already got a tag for the truck!) Its probably not worth it in the long run. Insurance is a crock, and its the same way here in the FL. If you got a license, you gotta be on the insurance policy.

YAMAHA_Jim
10-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Sounds like alot to me.I pay around $800 a year for my 94 chevy p/u. When I was 16 i payed $1500 a yr for liability insurance on my 78 chevy.I had my own insurance,my parents didnt want me on thiers,lol I would do what dynofox said Progressive,geico,nationwide,state farm,etc.

ATC crazy
10-28-2003, 10:03 PM
WTF :? $1650 a month...???!!!

Its $1600 a year for a semi though.

thefox
10-28-2003, 11:16 PM
I am paying $1800 for the year. I am on my parrents policy, and have been driving for 2 years. I have a 92 suzuki sidekick 4x4.

-Andrew

J.D.
10-29-2003, 12:22 AM
Try to find a company called Dairyland insurance. I got put on my parents policy for 55 dollars a month. They also put me as the primary driver of the Ford. then again, all we have is bare minimum insurance, no injury stuff etc. And you guys are soooo right, insurance is bull. It should be optional, but, yet another way the government interferes with out lives.

Howdy
10-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Man that is HIGH. I barely pay 1/3 that for a whole year on 3 vehicles ( Truck, Van, Car.

hmm, Didn't you say it has a 460 in it? If so that is the reason. Young person + Big motor = $$$ for insurance. I bet if you lived around here I could find you insurance for a lot less. ;)
Howdy

Dan Tenn
10-29-2003, 09:50 AM
I pay $700 per year on a 2002 3/4 ton ext. cab Chevy. Full Coverage including free glass replacement (I dont have to pay a deductable if any of my glass breaks). Even less for my 2000 Durango. It may help that Im 30, and married. Plus I have 4 vehicles, boat, motorcycle, 4 wheeler, and homeowners insurance all through the same company (state farm).

sean8231
10-29-2003, 07:06 PM
Until a few months ago, I was on my dads policy, and was paying 3800 a year for full coverage(I have a 2000 s-10 4x4)... I could barely afford just the truck payment and the insurance.... Depending on your age, if you go on your own insurance(this is what I had to do when I was 21), it should be cheaper... Mine dropped to 2300 a year, still high but much better then 3800.... Your parents may have a policy like my dad does, which is a very large "umbrella" policy, that covers a much higher liability then you would pay for on your own (in my case his policy covers up to 10x more then my new one does, I later found out thats why my insurance was so high.... A "young high-risk" driver on a substantial policy= outrageous amounts of money for coverage...)... :rolleyes:

Billy Golightly
10-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Until a few months ago, I was on my dads policy, and was paying 3800 a year for full coverage(I have a 2000 s-10 4x4)... I could barely afford just the truck payment and the insurance.... Depending on your age, if you go on your own insurance(this is what I had to do when I was 21), it should be cheaper... Mine dropped to 2300 a year, still high but much better then 3800.... Your parents may have a policy like my dad does, which is a very large "umbrella" policy, that covers a much higher liability then you would pay for on your own (in my case his policy covers up to 10x more then my new one does, I later found out thats why my insurance was so high.... A "young high-risk" driver on a substantial policy= outrageous amounts of money for coverage...)... :rolleyes:

See, this is probably the problem. My mom has pretty high amount of liability tacked onto the policy because she does realestate and I think like $250,000 is the bare mininum your allowed to have by law and still be a realtor.

The truck does have a 460, but it was a factory 400m truck so thats not as bad. I'm gonna have to check around a couple of other places and see what turns up. If nothing is that dramatic in price (Enough that I can afford ) I have another idea, hehe.

polabareus
10-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Hey honda atc,, I was wondering if that 1800 is for full coverage or liability? Because if that is full coverage you might want to try seeing how much just liability is.

Billy Golightly
10-29-2003, 09:13 PM
Probably full coverage, I'm gonna try and talk to the same people some more tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Kilborg
10-29-2003, 11:18 PM
thats full coverage. And a shitty rate.

PowerTrike
10-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Damn thats high. I pay about 1000 a year which I thought was insane on my Cherokee (87). :?

yater
10-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Get used to it. I paid about 1200 every six months until I was 25 (10 yrs) and then it cut down to about half that. Young people do stupid things--Don't even argue with me-that's just the way it is

Wickedfinger
10-30-2003, 07:26 PM
... thats the problem Billy, its for full coverage. Get rid of that, you don't need it - Just liability thats all. I use ALLSTATE and they have been really good to me so far.

Macs
10-30-2003, 11:11 PM
i live in a vaery high insurance county. it was costing me 3100 every 6 months for me and my wife. so i got me a p.o. box way out in the country and just pretended i lived out there.

PowerTrike
10-31-2003, 11:12 AM
... it was costing me 3100 every 6 months ... :shock:

G-MAN-1
11-01-2003, 09:58 PM
dude something is wrong there. who ever you have insurance through is trying to screw you. i have 2 new vehicles with full coverage and one van not. just liability, my atv with full, and my home owners. and all together i only pay 1950.00 a year.
dude SOMETHING IS WRONG. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :?: