PDA

View Full Version : helmet

jordan_muirhead
07-27-2011, 06:44 PM
does anybody know where I can get a quality helmet at? ive never ridden with one, but have decided I need one, was riding the other day, nd when I got in my yard, my right rear tire was missin two lugnuts, and one more was halfway off...so ive decided I need a helmet...and was just wondering who sells good ones

SYKO
07-27-2011, 06:58 PM
dennis kirk online has an outlet or clearence store area that sometimes you can pick up some really great stuff for super cheap I would say check them out.

jordan_muirhead
07-27-2011, 07:13 PM
alright, are there any specific brands that are better than others?

just ben
07-27-2011, 08:00 PM
any is better than none. I can show you pics of mine to see how many times it has done its job. you want one with a snell and dot rating which almost all have now

rdlsz24
07-27-2011, 09:20 PM
I like to look at last year's models on rockymountainatv's site. Still cool designs but cheaper since they are close out.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/closeouts.do?navType=closeout&navTitle=Helmet+%26+Goggles&webTypeId=73&webCatId=2

Rob

SWIGIN
07-27-2011, 10:14 PM
I just got a James Stewart limited edition Bell helmet for under $100 on ebay.

jordan_muirhead
07-27-2011, 10:21 PM
just looked at rocky-mountain, seen a few i want...but im hoping i get this job tomorrow...been pretty strapped for cash at the moment, but as soon as i get the money, im gettin one....yea i know, a 185s don't go that fast, but i had it pegged out and got home and two lug-nuts were barely on the studs, and idk what happened to the other two...i felt like an idiot

jordan_muirhead
07-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I just got a James Stewart limited edition Bell helmet for under $100 on ebay.

wish i could find deals like that :/

just ben
07-28-2011, 12:19 AM
just looked at rocky-mountain, seen a few i want...but im hoping i get this job tomorrow...been pretty strapped for cash at the moment, but as soon as i get the money, im gettin one....yea i know, a 185s don't go that fast, but i had it pegged out and got home and two lug-nuts were barely on the studs, and idk what happened to the other two...i felt like an idiot

It doesnt matter how fast it is,the worst I have been hurt on a trike I was riding a honda 70. 7hrs in the ER and a qt.of lost blood

jordan_muirhead
07-28-2011, 12:52 AM
dang, Ive been fortunate, never broke a bone(yet), haven't been shot(yet) and haven't technically been arrested(yet)
but if i get this job, im gonna start getting ready to get a helmet......and strip my 185s down and redo it frame up, not powder-coat and such, ain't got that kind of money, but full repainting and new bearings and such...anybody think that's a good idea?

BiGDawG
07-28-2011, 03:04 AM
I got mine on ebay new with gloves, carrying bag and goggles for $60 shipped
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/MARK2153/th_DSC01700.jpg (http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/MARK2153/?action=view&current=DSC01700.jpg)http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/MARK2153/th_IMG_0488.jpg (http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/MARK2153/?action=view&current=IMG_0488.jpg)

tri again
07-28-2011, 05:24 AM
how about a helmet liner bandanna thing and a prescratched helmet from goodwill for a couple bucks??

They say 20 mph is not fast enough to get hurt but think about this.

Close your eyes and fall backwards off the roof of your car..say 5 feet.
How fast are you going when you hit the ground?
MAYbe 5 mph.
32 feet per second squared as a function of acceleration for all you skydivers.
so?
do you think you can get hurt at 5mph now?

hey jordan....
get a helmet.
even a bicycle helmet is better than noggin versus concrete or granite.

jordan_muirhead
07-28-2011, 07:16 PM
im am, things sound good, think im gettin this job the prison, just gotta wait and see what my references say......but if I do im gettin a helmet next

Thorpe
07-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I personally like HJC helmets.... Picked this one up for 65 bucks...128787

jordan_muirhead
07-28-2011, 08:48 PM
dang, well, when I get in the market for a helmet, hopefully I can get a good deal like yall been finding, dont wanna get too extravagant lol

tri again
07-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Here's one I found.
Xl size.
the color one is called vega offroad
35$
and the black one is 25$ but no size.

One of my concerns is that they do make your head heavier so
I DO like to see some sort of neck brace that kinda 'braces' the helmet
to the shoulders.
and I personally like the 1/2 helmets cops wear so I can hear stuff better
but there's no face/jaw protection.

This is cl eug oregon but surely they are everywhere.
My local friends will chip in to send you one.

Xpress
07-29-2011, 05:40 PM
I've got a JHC helmet and they fit really well. Garage sales are a GREAT place to find them. Got mine for $15, used only a couple of times.

jordan_muirhead
07-29-2011, 06:03 PM
dang, well, hopefully in a week or two, im pretty sure i got this job now(they just gotta verify my references lol) so im gonna get me a helmet first before i do anything else to the trike

jordan_muirhead
07-29-2011, 06:04 PM
not sure what size my head is lol, but its large lol

jordan_muirhead
07-29-2011, 06:33 PM
no need to send me a helmet lol, ill have one soon, cant ride till I figure out why it wont start......it started up first pull this mornin....idled for a minute so I didnt give it any gas...and it died and hasnt started since....anybody got any ideas? will check for spark tomorrow since im changing the oil, this southeast Arkansas humidity is killin me

tri again
07-31-2011, 01:34 AM
no need to send me a helmet lol, ill have one soon, cant ride till I figure out why it wont start......it started up first pull this mornin....idled for a minute so I didnt give it any gas...and it died and hasnt started since....anybody got any ideas? will check for spark tomorrow since im changing the oil, this southeast Arkansas humidity is killin me

no start 200?
Spark check is fast and easy.
While you're there, you can unscrew the plug cap and see if there's spark right from the coil/plug wire itself.

Another oddity is the end of the sparkplg wire can get corro
ded and nipping the last tiny bit off the plug wire can get the screw on plug cap some healthy wire to bite into.

Switch on?
how long did it idle before it died?

Long enought for the float bowl to empty?
Fuel shut off valves do not always point exactly to on or off necessarily.
Fuel tank gas caps can also say ON but often do not
allow air to vent into the tank so the gas can flow.

Pls let us know what you find.'

oh wait, you were gonna get a helmet beFORE you got it running.

tri again
07-31-2011, 01:41 AM
not sure what size my head is lol, but its large lol

just get a string or tape measure or belt around yer head at the largest diameter.

I guess you could also simply see if it fits.
Congrats on the promise to get a helmet.

Good luck with the job
and better luck with the humidity.

Is it like hard to breathe, temperature difference
doesn't help if you're in the shade or not, right?
I remember east coast weather.

jordan_muirhead
07-31-2011, 12:02 PM
yea, I cut a little off each end of the coil wire, cleaned the plug good, and its starts fine, I need to gap it tho....im still gunna get a helmet, just waitin to see how this job turns out.....right now I dont even get out of first gear....and yes....in southeast Arkansas, it is HUMID...been gettin worse everyyear....dreading August now...i literally broke a pretty good sweat takin a spark plug out of my trike lol

jordan_muirhead
07-31-2011, 12:05 PM
yea, I cut a little off each end of the coil wire, cleaned the plug good, and its starts fine, I need to gap it tho....im still gunna get a helmet, just waitin to see how this job turns out.....right now I dont even get out of first gear....and yes....in southeast Arkansas, it is HUMID...been gettin worse everyyear....dreading August now...i literally broke a pretty good sweat takin a spark plug out of my trike lol
also I have mild asthma so if I have to push my wheeler very far im out of breath, was never this bad till the humidity