PDA

View Full Version : California Fires

J.D.
10-29-2003, 11:42 AM
OK as some of you may know I live relatively close to the CA border, approximately 60 miles west of Vegas. I wake up this morning to the smell of smoke. I go out the house to find this shiat! NOW I'M PISSED! I hope they find the assholes who started these fires and whip them to death!

J.D.
10-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Only 3 pics per post........ Oh by the way, you can usually see mountains all around. My town is surrounded by a circle of mountains. Now you can't see shiato!!!!

motoman1012002
10-29-2003, 07:38 PM
that isnt good at all i hope everyone is good out there

Honda125m1984
10-29-2003, 09:16 PM
i have heard the fires are actually started by gusts of winds that rapidly warm up and speed up as they make their way through the vallies

deathman53
10-29-2003, 10:25 PM
my dad was just watching some show on the fox news network and they reprted that the fires were bound to happen(combination of heat, wind, and probably some tree hugger smoking a cigerette) and the state of the forests intensified them(alot of dead, diseased and fallen trees) Again we can thank the tree huggers for making a bad situation worse. As many of you know, there is a policy on forest lands for not to clear dead, diseased, fallen trees out). I live on the other side of the country, but I feel for you and hope for the best.

J.D.
10-30-2003, 12:26 AM
Out here they're saying it's suspected arson....and that crap about the wind heating up as it travels through valley's, that's nonsense talk.

TimSr
10-30-2003, 10:04 AM
I lived in southern LA county and Orange county for 5 years, and hunted in many of the places affected.

Selective logging, and allowing the collection and removal of dead wood were certainly helpful in preventing and slowing the growth of fires. However most of these fires started in areas with very littel tree growth, mostly dead brush of little logging or firewood value. Now, of course, they have spread to wooded areas. It used to be USDA Forest service policy to set aside small areas at a time and burn them off in what they called "controlled burns". Had they been up to date with this program, it would have been extremely effective. It is the same group of tree huggers that halted this program as well. I guess we dont know how many trees they "saved", but at this point we know over 600,000 acres were detroyed because of their management my emotion, over management by sound science. They can now say, "I saved a tree, and it only cost 1000 trees."

As a hunter I contacted wildlife biologists from the state fish and game dept to get suggestions on best places to hunt. They would always name off a bunch of areas that had been burned just a couple years prior. Right after an area is burned off, vegetation growth explodes, accelerated by the ash fertilizer, and shortly afterwards animal populations explode. Expect to hear them whining about deer populations in a few years!

These started as 3 separate fires. One was arson, and theyve released a sketch of the suspect. Another is suspected arson, and a third was thought to not be arson at this point.