PDA

View Full Version : Harassed by police

Xpress
08-02-2011, 05:51 PM
This is the 2nd time this week the police have came up onto my property and asked to see my trikes and see if I have ridden them.

They have been wrapped up tight inside of a tarp for a few weeks now, and obviously have not moved by lack of tracks, and various tools in the way (ladders, tool boxes, ect.- I've started the 200x once in that time, but only let it idle). Someone else is obviously riding a trike up here and causing the police to come up, but is there anything I can do to keep them from harassing me about it??????

dcreel
08-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Just remember that they are doing their jobs, in responding to a call. Be corteous and act like an adult.. That would go a long way. You could always do a little investigating into who it really is (tag number, make of bike, etc.) and give it to the cops.

There are a couple of kids in my neighborhood who ride their 450 quads through the neighborhood at 60+ mph blowing the stop sign on the corner and endangering the kids who ride their bikes in the neighborhood. I have called the cops on these toolbags several times. Drag racing cars on the highway in front of my house. Thankfully the cops haven't come to my door hassling us about riding on our property..

Xpress
08-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I know they're only doing their jobs, but when it inconveniences me it gets annoying. I don't think there's a way to find out who is doing the riding unless I were to sit and wait for them. I know there is one guy who won't hesitate the call the police the moment he sees someone doing something he doesn't like. His #1 complaint is the dust going into a vacant lot of which nobody occupies.

tri again
08-03-2011, 04:10 AM
x2 w/ dc

We work with cops all the time around our festivals and
they're looking for 'help', info and evidence.
They get a call, check it out and report back.
The more obvious that it isn't you, gets them off the hook.

Our local farm store rents trail motion cameras.
The tasco cameras are way under 100$ with night vision.
Mine seems to trigger at 50 feet and less, if that would help.

We also tend to hire or befriend the 'wayward' kidz in the hood for security
and these guys can get info on anything that happens around here.

If they're speed demons, you know they're bragging.
Maybe the local parts/bike shop knows exactly who it is.

bkm
08-03-2011, 05:01 AM
I have a few questions and be honest with me, because I already know the answers to them.http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?132700-Run-in-with-da-po-po

Have the police ever been called on you while riding your bike in a certain area other than your property? If so do they know where you live? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then there in lies the answer to your question as to why you are being "Questioned", not harassed.

I might just be a dumb cop, but if I received a call to a certain area about a three wheeler being ridden, and within that area there is a certain individual that I personally know owns a machine matching the description of the suspect. Where do you think I am going to look?

Bottom line is this is the price of doing business when you own these things and ride them in a area around people who do not like them.

cattle-dog
08-03-2011, 07:53 AM
i also have to agree with dcreel and bkm, i have seen a few threads with the police talking to you here, even when it seems you are not rideing now you will be the first guy they come see.
Once the officers realize you are not rideing i am sure the visits will dwindle. besides that if you cut them some slack and treat them with respect usually they will give you a break later on.

HuffieVA
08-03-2011, 09:22 AM
I have to agree with BKM on this one, there is a difference between being questioned and being harassed...

When you start getting tickets for blown license plate lights, having stickers on your back window, or not having a rear bumper on your pickup on a regular basis you may have an argument but its sounds like in this case they were simply doing their job. Obviously you have in the past ridden the roads (a fact supported through some of your pictures and posts) so if they are aware of that fact and they get a complaint they are naturally going to check the most obvious place first... in this case "YOU"

If it makes you feel any better, at any particular time there is between 20 and 30 bikes/trikes/quads in my garage/shed and I've got a small MX track and a flat track in my back yard and my kids (and me) are are almost always riding something... so where do you suppose the first place they check is when they end up chasing an idiot that on a rare occurrence is "lucky" (and I use that term loosely) enough to get away? It used to be because they thought it was one of my kids or myself, but recently its been more for reference (trying to figure out what kind of bike it was)...

You have to remember that its steadily getting harder and harder to find places to ride and acting like an idiot (i.e. riding the streets and running from the law) surely doesn't help the cause...

TimSr
08-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Your post header should read “Idiot Jerk Uses My Identity to Frame Me”. Funny how you are quick to criticize the law enforcement officer for reasonably suspecting you of possibly being the culprit, while not criticizing your fellow trike enthusiast who has been riding illegally, and then led police to YOUR doorstep. You should be outraged at this guy for framing you. Trike riders are so few that the general public assumes we all belong to the same club. Yes, it’s not fair, but the fact is that public illegal and irresponsible actions by one “trike enthusiast” reflect negatively on ALL of us.

Instead of criticizing the officer for reasonably doing his job, maybe you should make an effort to assist them in learning this guy’s identity who framed you. Be GENUINE in convincing the police that he is NOT in YOUR club. Maybe when the police begin to view you as a cooperative part of the solution, they will come to you for assistance instead of as a suspect. The trike enthusiast community is so small that I would suspect that you probably know who this other “trike enthusiast” is, but have chosen to cover for him. He’s the one responsible for your “harassment”. HE is harming your reputation with the local police.

I’ll never understand why so many “trike enthusiasts” are willing to allow their fellow “trike enthusiasts” to cast suspicion on them, and tarnish the reputation of the entire community negatively with their public irresponsible and illegal actions any more than they would protect someone whole stole their ID and destroyed their credit. The survival of the sport depends upon those who love it, to weed those who would destroy it, from the community, and having the courage and conviction to unashamedly say that “he and I are NOT part of the same club” just because we own the same piece of machinery.

I can personally attest that it will not win you any popularity contests within the trike enthusiast community, but it will keep you in a position of respect and credibility with local authorities and reputable professionals within the offroad community, and with those who provide the property, tracks, event, and opportunities that still exist for riding.

250rAL
08-03-2011, 05:20 PM
So what happens if they show up on the day you started your machine and let it idle? The motor will be warm but they have no proof that you were riding. What's the point of them even asking to look at it?

Nevkilahonda3
08-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Man there must be a guy who doesn't like you very much cause I bet he told the police it was you who was riding up and down the streets being that you think he most likely complained the first time can't people just get a life. I think now the police will target you as a suspect evertime someone rolls down the street on an atc,atv, or dirtbike. Once you have a bad rep your always the first target. If they really came to your house not to harass you but get info they would have asked you if you know anything about the person riding up and down the streets.Instead they came to see if you have been riding your trike assuming it was you. I'm sure glad I live in the country cause I never have a problem with police. I can ride up and down the ditches with know complaint and the one time I came from across the road hauling @$$ and a cop pulled in the drive way for some other reason(trying to find somebodys runaway) and he never questioned me about riding my trike.

Xpress
08-04-2011, 03:05 PM
From what I have formulated, this guy calls up the police saying that some guy is kicking up tons of dust on his 3 wheeler and tells them he wants it to stop. Police come up and immediately go to me acting as if I was the one causing all the problems.

The police have told me probably dozens of times, the exact same thing:

"We couldn't care less about you riding up here."

They don't care if we're on the street, not wearing a helmet, have no shirt on, wearing flip flops, carrying a 12 pack of beer or doing many other various illegal things that occur daily. Yet they still come up here and come straight to me when someone complains about an ATV.

The only other triker I know of that rides up here hasn't touched his 350X since then. You can clearly see that by the tons of dust, leaves and whatnot ontop of the tarp. I do know of some other trikes that are up here, but I rarely see them, and I have no idea who they are or where they live.

I think the police really only care if someone is riding on the aforementioned property, because nobody knows who the property owner is,there's no signs that state anything about trespassing, and there is that one crazy no lifer who has nothing better to do but call up the police. I have heard rumors that the police have even bugged some of the recreational hikers that hike the hills out here. Again, no signs that state no trespassing, and everybody and their mother has hiked there.

Another question. Can the police legally open my gate and enter? I have it shut and locked right now, not (again NOT) because of the police, but because of a lot of theft lately. The neighbor had a lawnmower stolen out of her yard that was brand new. My next door neighbor had a skill saw and a pain sprayer stolen just last week.

thestud25
08-04-2011, 03:24 PM
They cannot enter a gated property, locked or unlocked without the consent of the owner or a search warrant unless they have probable cause. Since you have 3 wheelers and the complaint is someone riding them, that may be enough probable cause for them to enter.

Any boys in blue care to comment?

Swinger
08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
The town I live in we all ride up and down the roads and when going through town everyone goes slow and respectful. Ive had the cops chase me one time but most of the time they just dont give a sh*t. My neighbors call the cops on me about my horses breaking out into their yard and never on any of my toys. Not saying that the cops are or arent harassing you but I think that I wouldnt let it scare me from riding. I say take the tarp off and go for a ride but stay away from the old coots house that calls the cops and if the do come they better damn well have proff you did something wrong!

Xpress
08-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Just went to the general store right down the road to pickup some things. There is a unit sitting there now, probably lying in wait for someone to ride on by. In any matter, I'm not taking any chances.

Regarding thestud, the trikes haven't moved. I've shown then 2 times already. Maybe 3rd time's the charm?