PDA

View Full Version : Free trip to trikefest idea?

Brockey
08-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Just thinking about this. Others like me can't afford to take a trip to these amazing events and can only live it up from pics, videos and stories. I know this is asking a lot but perhaps we could all get a fund together to pay airfare for a lucky winner, picked by some lotto way to get there. Perhaps someone could designate a ride at the event, even an old falling apart hardly running parts machine. The only other thing would be food and a place to rest their head.

I for one would love to be there, can't afford too. But if I could the bike wouldn't be able to get there. Where wouod i sleep, what would I eat. Others are in this same boat. I would be only glad to make a small donation to make this trip possible for a lucky winner who could even be me. I would not want to handle the money or pick the winner tho for the simple fact No one knows me and I would love to enter my name to win.

Anyone else think this could become a reality? Any ideas? Suggestions?

Just thinking before I go to bed as I look over some trikefest pics.

Eric250R
08-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Actually sounds like a pretty reasonable idea to me. As far as food, drinks, rides, and a tent, I'd be more than happy to donate some or all. Always willing to help a fellow triker. But yeah, I'd pitch in a little cash also.......

rray62
08-04-2011, 10:36 PM
As far as food, drinks, rides, and a tent, I'd be more than happy to donate some or all. You are definitely generous!!!! Here I was trying to lose weight and you kept pawning food off on me:lol:

just ben
08-04-2011, 10:56 PM
I dont think its a bad idea but a reality? I dont know. alot of details to work out. I would say a raffle but then the only people contributing are the guys who cant afford the trip and tickets would have to be pricey I'm sure to make it work

thestud25
08-04-2011, 11:49 PM
It is a good idea, that I am sure the food, bike sleep, etc situation would be no prob. It would need to be a raffle of some sort. Carpooling is an option as well.

jensenracing77
08-05-2011, 05:28 AM
i am close enough to not have to do this but i would be willing to pitch in $10 to the raffle each year. it would take someone lots of time to put it together and that would be the problem.

hoosierlogger
08-05-2011, 05:35 AM
You can eat as much of my food as you want unless you are as picky eater as Jensen. LOL

Mrs.Mosh
08-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Brockey that is a really good idea. It is definitely something to think about and discuss with the crew.

Swinger
08-05-2011, 08:40 AM
I think it is an awesome idea and Im probably one of the guys that would love this trip the most. Im addicted to trikes and never even got to see a race yet but am trying to talk my wife into airmx in october but she thinks Im retarded so doesnt help too much. There is a few dirt drags around my way but 3 wheeler arent allowed to race so even if I go riding with someone they all have quads and go through mud holes and muddy trail and I dont do that to my baby. Im sure if someone gets this thing together Id donate and maybe even hopefully win. What can I do to help??

Brockey
08-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Brain storm some ideas and post them up. I have been thinking about this some. I think its an awesome idea that needs some details worked out and could give someone a awesome trip to meet some awesome people and have fun.

thestud25
08-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Does anyone on here work for an airline that may be able to get some free or discounted air vouchers that can be bought and raffled? Not to convolute this idea to much, but I think that if the raffle were to bring in, say $1000.00, but only $700 of it is needed to get the winner there then the rest needs to be donated to the 3WW site fund, or to a fallen rider fund. Just a thought.

Brockey
08-05-2011, 01:12 PM
I agree totally. I figured the site, but great idea on the fallen rider aswell.

Tri-Z 250
08-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Sure another raffle...who's going to orginize, be the bank and lay down the airfare. Sorry a noble request but I see nothing but problems in that. Brockey not to be rude but how about you start printing T-shirts, mugs, and garb or come up with a sellable item and fund your own trip? To get a fellow triker to lend a machine and a place to crash isn't asking much. As far as food: who feeds you now?....Oh your looking for an all expenced paid vacation....can I interest you in a time share on your visit? When it comes to outside the US do we include the Canadians? Are there other members who deserve to come as to a person who just joined and won? Like the guy outside on the sidewalk with his hand out everyday...We who live close enough to come, SHOULD fund a trip for others, because of our near location. I'd rather see $100gas cards given out over the course of the 4day event attendance required, one win per ticket. You want to up your chances buy more tickets...now thats a raffle!:naughty:

fabiodriven
08-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Sure another raffle...who's going to orginize, be the bank and lay down the airfare. Sorry a noble request but I see nothing but problems in that. Brockey not to be rude but how about you start printing T-shirts, mugs, and garb or come up with a sellable item and fund your own trip? To get a fellow triker to lend a machine and a place to crash isn't asking much. As far as food: who feeds you now?....Oh your looking for an all expenced paid vacation....can I interest you in a time share on your visit? When it comes to outside the US do we include the Canadians? Are there other members who deserve to come as to a person who just joined and won? Like the guy outside on the sidewalk with his hand out everyday...We who live close enough to come, SHOULD fund a trip for others, because of our near location. I'd rather see $100gas cards given out over the course of the 4day event attendance required, one win per ticket. You want to up your chances buy more tickets...now thats a raffle!:naughty:

It would be quite the undertaking, this much is true. I don't know if you've ever been to TF, but I don't see food and a place to hang their hat being an issue for the winner should this materialize. There are people constantly cooking things everywhere. I personally wouldn't have had a place for anyone to sleep, but I had more than enough food to go around. A simple solution for sleeping arrangements would be to get a $50 WalMart tent to toss in one of the many abandoned buildings on site.

I'm not necessarily supporting or condemning the idea, but one person being taken care of while there would not be an issue.

Tri-Z 250
08-05-2011, 04:20 PM
No doubt flopping from camp to camp with extras from others sounds about right. Could you imagine getting the funds together picking a winner from overseas, set it all up food,motorhome, sweet ride for the weekend with gas and gear...Send the airfare only to be stoodup? I got the paypal but my Grama died and I needed the $...sorry 3WW. The easiest way to do what he's asking for is to save for it. I've read of fellows with no ride, no camp gear, or helmet getting picked up at the airport by fellow trikers off 3WW and having a blast. Raffles are great but what your talking about could be in the $3000 dollar range. Now divide that by say $10....you gonna sell 300tickets to bring a member not of your choice to a free party? Ok, maybe your the nicest guy on the site. I would rather see $3000 divided into 4days at $750 giving 15 people a day chance to win $50 worth of fuel. The benifit of one as 60 to me is clear. I'm not ripping on Brock...he's more than welcome to hang under the party tent and have at the extra food. My point is to raffle an item we could all benifit from not just one guy and spread it around. Just think of your chances of winning if your at TF with a few tickets if only 300 sell?:idea:

ceaserthethird
08-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Great idea, but would hate it if some member stiffed us all... ;)

Would love to Help though.

Brockey
08-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Well, I agree it would be a huge undertaking which I could only help by donating money. Just had an idea pop in my head.

Oh well. As for me, I could afford to save up and go, but my other half wouldn't like me very much if I went without her and the kids. And I wouldn't feel right going without them either. I don't think my woman and 4 and 6 year old would enjoy it much either without their bikes if we flew there, plus they want to go to Florida next year. That's where my problem would be.

Taking my bikes means I would have to drive and would cost me extreme loot, plus time off work too. Flying is pretty cheap now days and tickets can be bought real cheap if you shop around so that would be the only way for me to be there.

Perhaps it's a bad idea. Just figured it would be cool to do for someone. I understand it might never work tho, unless someone really known was in charge of it and spent a load of time into it. It would be a pain for this person to do also.

CRAZY70MAN
08-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Hey Brockey that sounds like a great idea. The problem is that Billy, Howdy , Swinehart and the others have plenty on there plate and that could prove a little much. If some of us could start to post up ideas on the rules and amount of money designated I would be up for helping out. You would need not worry about food or beer nor a plac to sleep,many many gracious members to help.Start posting up input fellas. We could even add a few bucks to race entries to cover this?? Plenty of ways to get the money up, just need winner to commit or be tarred and feathered....lol

Billy Golightly
08-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Guys I really, really am liking this idea. I've been so busy with work I haven't had much time to put some thought into it, BUT I think there is a good chance for this to happen in the future maybe :)

If the contest is held and a winner chose early enough plane tickets can be purchased for about $500 or less from anywhere in the continental US and probably not that much more unless we get someone internationally in which case it would have to be an arranged credit of some sort towards their flight covering part of it.

Brockey
08-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Well I tell ya what? I don't want my name entered at all. But if someone wants to get it on the go I will gladly donate money. We just need a good banker and my money is on the way. :)

Yes I agree the international thing is more difficult so perhaps it would be easier and cheaper to keep it within the US and try it first. Any money over could go to a tent, a sleeping bag, the site or Little cash prizes at TF. Would be nice to make the trip possible for someone who can't afford it or a free trip for anyone entered.

just ben
08-08-2011, 12:24 AM
what happens when after a big production to get it all together the winner cant go. Im not talking about after winning I'm saying after arragements and what not are already made.

jensenracing77
08-08-2011, 05:19 AM
another thought, you would need to have the drawing at least 6 months before TF. around the first of the year because that is when most people put in for there vacation time. most people would have to know before then.

cattle-dog
08-08-2011, 08:02 AM
draw a backup winner incase first person cant go

R-tifacts
08-08-2011, 08:43 AM
As someone who is too far to make it as well I like the idea, but the air fair would be diffrent for each person/location. What would happen with the surpluss money or if there is not enough. The idea is great but it would be hard to pull off I think. Why dont all you west coast guys/gals come to us lol

Howdy
08-14-2011, 03:22 AM
I have been doing some serious thinking about this and have a few ideas that I will share.

One idea I will throw out here is: If 1/2 the forum members ( currently over 20,000 ) gave $1 per year towards a TF Travel fund it would raise over $10,000 each year. I mean what the heck is $1.00? That is less than $.02 a week. Who can't afford that?
Having this much for a fund would enable us to help many trikers get to TF. If the average Travel cost was $500 this would allow us to help 20 Trikers get to TF. If 1/4 of the members gave $1 each that could still possibly help 10 people.
I will be a little more realistic: If only 1000 of the members gave $.01 a day ( $3.65 a year each ) it would raise quite a bit. $3.65 x 1000= $3650.00 a year, at a average $500 a person it would help 7 users get to TF.

I also think that if we do this we should dedicate a special Posting containing the names of everyone that donated towards the fund. This would allow everyone to see how many donated towards the fund.
I could do the banking for this pretty easy. I have a bank account for 3WW that isn't being used for anything and it is already connected to Paypal so keeping the funds separate would be pretty easy. I would do this if everyone trust me enough. I don't have the time or knowledge to buy travel tickets ( it can take a fair amount of time to search and find the best deals ). So someone else would be needed to do that part. Or, see my no show idea below.

How to keep the No shows from screwing up the program: How about if we did it to were they would get the money at TF. Yes this would mean they have to come up with the funds up front to get to TF, but once they got there they would get the Money. If some one that won didn't show up then that money would either go towards the next years drawing or a Fallen Member Fund.

I got more ideas on this as well, but need to do more info searching and talk to Billy first.

Howdy

Tri-Z 250
08-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I like those numbers and the fact that more than one can benifit from such a small $1 effort. Again the logistics of airfare, and accomidations is by far the biggest hurdle. DO we make a circle boundry surounding Haspin Archers as ground zero...each ring around is set by miles from=to winnings. SO if your within 200miles you can only win X amount...If you live in New Zealand you can win TOP $cash payout....sounds fare for a dollar. I like the idea of a blue ribbon or gold star next to each posters/donaters sig.

thestud25
08-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Howdy, Give me the paypal address and I will start the ball rolling on donations. We can hammer out the details later. I like the no show policy, but it may be hard for some to come up with enough cash to get there. I like Jensen's idea of a drawing around 6 months out.

Brockey
08-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Loving this Howdy. Yep send me a paypal address and I will start donating aswell. Whenever I have a few extra I will add to it. The no show program sounds good too. Where the extras goes is endless. The raffle trike build could be helped out with funds also.

hoosierlogger
08-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Howdy, I love the way you think. Lets make it happen!!!!

Howdy
08-19-2011, 05:14 PM
The Donations@3wheelerworld.com Paypal account is the one that it needs to go to. We can't accept Credit Card donations via this account. It you need / want to donate via credit card funded paypal then use the admins@3wheelerworld.com account.

No matter which way you doing be sure to put "Trikefest Trip Fund" as the subject. And don't forget to include your forum username so I can give proper credit.

Howdy

Brockey
08-19-2011, 07:04 PM
My first donation was just sent. Thxs again

captainweezy
09-05-2011, 03:45 PM
So are we starting at $1.00 per member or what ever each individual member wants to donate?

Howdy
09-07-2011, 10:52 PM
So are we starting at $1.00 per member or what ever each individual member wants to donate?

So far it has been what ever each person wants to donate. But the goal is to get at least 1/4 or the users to donate $1 each.
Howdy

just ben
09-07-2011, 11:31 PM
is each contributor entered in the drawing? is each dollar an entry? I will put in either way but I wouldnt mind having a chance at winning some gas money

Howdy
09-07-2011, 11:40 PM
is each contributor entered in the drawing? is each dollar an entry? I will put in either way but I wouldnt mind having a chance at winning some gas money

Yes, the donors are entered in the drawing. Hopefully more will get onboard with the idea. Currently as of 9/7/2011 we are at $30 plus a $20 commited but not recieved yet ( $50 total ).
Howdy

Tri-Z 250
09-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, the donors are entered in the drawing. Hopefully more will get onboard with the idea. Currently as of 9/7/2011 we are at $30 plus a $20 commited but not recieved yet ( $50 total ).
Howdy
Howdy you answerd the question, Yes...not real clear here. Each $1 dollar gets you an entry and anything above and beyond is considered a donation to the fund. Which means only 1 chance at winning per member no matter how much you donate. The odds play into the more entries the better your chances to win understandably...If it's 1 and done your chances are dependant on the actual numbers of members who donated. Understandably you'd like to see every member donate 1dollar but lets face it not every member is going to the Fest....Sure a free trip and I'll go for a buck...but at 1 dollar per member everyone needs to donate to make this fly. Your last Fest gathered(I'm guessing) 300people? so thats like $300 You might be able to count on. The raffle trike is set so the more tickets you buy the better your chances....but it still allows the 1ticket buyer/donator a small chance.

A FUND Raiser in a post that really just slips away if not posted in....Well out of sight out of mind. I think it's time to switch up the TOP of the Page with a link in a contrasting color(to stand out). I also feel you need to be clear on the winnings...is it a split of the sum equally divided? is it a range of prizes based on distance from Haspin? I understand that you need to be present at the Event to claim prize. If a winner doesn't show will there be a backup member announced prior to Event(what if they both don't show?) or will there be a drawing at the Event until a winner is found. Or will the $ non-claimed be placed into next years fund?
3WW needs to be clear so there is no confusion prior to this Fund actually growing into...what could seem like a make it up as we go along. Which will only lead to doubters and hints of a fixed/rigged selection on winners and funds distributed. Applying a clear cut set or rules and standards of selection and distribution will secure the FUND, and insure absolute clarity to those wanting to be involved. What about CASH donations...RULE them in or OUT...to Paypal $1 seems like I'll be charged the same from them as if I donated $10....How about $1 gets you an entry $10 gets you (X) amount of entries $20 gets more. Setting a top donation is your choice, but I think to keep the odds even might be a good idea.

IF THESE RULES ARE POSTED ELSEWHERE I APPOLIGIZE FOR MY CONCERN AND WILL LOOK TO THEM FOR MY ANSWERS.

thestud25
09-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Howdy, donation sent.

Bump to the top!

just ben
09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
I understand triz250's concernsand agree. the drawing doesnt much matter to me as I plan on making the trip anyway but a few bucks toward gas would be great. Ireally dont think at this rate the proceeds would be enough to get even one person there but time will tell. BTW what are the dates for TF?

fabiodriven
09-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I have to say, this should be posted somewhere more visible. Possibly in Trikesylvania. I had forgotten about this thread completely. It's kinda buried over here...

atc350xer
09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I understand triz250's concernsand agree. the drawing doesnt much matter to me as I plan on making the trip anyway but a few bucks toward gas would be great. Ireally dont think at this rate the proceeds would be enough to get even one person there but time will tell. BTW what are the dates for TF?
I will be there as well... for the first time! As I understand it, it's always the first weekend after Father's Day.

thestud25
09-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I will be there as well... for the first time! As I understand it, it's always the first weekend after Father's Day.
That is correct!

captainweezy
04-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Did this idea poop out or what?? No post since 9/8/2011