PDA

View Full Version : My shitty luck this year, stolen truck

Tri-Z Pilot
08-12-2011, 02:40 AM
It was about a week before trout season started, so I had to have my fuel tank replaced due to the fact it must have rusted out (could only put $5 in without leaking). Didn't have time to do it myself, so I took it to my local trusted shop (always treated me good along with fair prices).
I dropped it off on a Friday and handed the owner my only set of keys. Well Monday afternoon the state police show up at my house wanting to arrest me saying I was trespassing and caused alot of damage and got my truck swamped and stuck. It was then towed to an impound yard. Needless to say I was irate and dropped the F-bomb about 600 times. Went trhough the spiel of telling him it was at a shop, and apparently the owner told the cop it wasn't his responsibility, WTF? Someone had a good ole time, swamped my truck then preceded to break every window, dent every fender, and bust every light, (I even had euro lenses). All my tools, video games, knives, and over 200 cd's were also stolen.

Tri-Z Pilot
08-12-2011, 03:08 AM
I got $5800 for the truck, and about $1800 for my stolen items, the depriciations were ridiculous, I only got about $1.20 per cd, and moste were new $20 cds.
To top it all off there were boot prints on the hood so the cop took my workboots to compare the prints. Said he would have them back in a month, but here it is 4 months later and no boots. I had to buy a new pair and contemplated sending the state police the bill, but I figured that was a bad idea. They also took blood samples from around the dash (dumb ass punched out my gauge cluster).
Here's the real kicker, found whoever stole my truck left their cell phone under the seat, nice one too! Turned it into the police (careful not to mess up prints), called a week later to find out what they know about the phone, and get this. They hadn't gotten the proper search warrants to check the phone, seriously? WTF!!
I plan on suing the garage owner (the keys in the ignition were the ones he had)
Am I outta my right by suing him for my $1000 in deductables, $3000 in depreciation from my stolen items, $2000 that I had left to pay off the truck, and the emotional distress I have having to do with this giant fiasco?
any feedback or legal advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ty

tri again
08-12-2011, 04:10 AM
I'm trying to evict a squatter that's apparently been living on the back 40 for a few months.
Seems pretty simple.
well, the sucker got a lawyer to fight it?
on what grounds I know not.

point is
there are so many lawyers fresh out of school that will take any cases
just for the experience and usually for a percentage.

just fyi, whoever loses, like that repair shop, has to pay all legal fees.

I'd pursue it just to make sure your name is all nice and clear.

falloutboy
08-12-2011, 04:26 AM
It sounds like a hell of a time! If the thief got your keys from the shop, then, ya, they are at fault, at least to some degree. Get what you can out of them, plus legal cost. And send the bill to the St Po. for the new boots. Their fault you had to buy new ones.

Tri-Z Pilot
08-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Oh yeah all their fault, I am free and clear. And I believe the owner said he left the keys in the truck after they pulled it out of the garage for the night.
My biggest concern if I can sue over the depriciations on my stolen items, it would cost me a fortune to replace them. And also if I can sue over the remaing money I owed on the truck since I no longer had it, and if theres any grounds to sue over pain and suffering. (I've been a nervous wreck these past couple months even lost 20 pounds and had to be put on anxiety meds)

tri again
08-12-2011, 05:59 AM
There ya go!!
Documentable medical condition can go a long way.
I'd say your stomach is killing you too, like developing an ulcer,
can't eat and it's impossible to get any kind of good sleep.

well, that's pretty obvious.

screw it. apply for temporary disability and look into other resources..electric bill help etcetc
That's what it's for.
Just get better.
The world isn't going to change anytime soon.

Take care of yourself man.
It's almost like you were in the truck when it got wrecked (totaled) , the way you're feeling, right?
..and the bad guys are probably out bar hoppin', havin' a good ol' time.

Tri-Z Pilot
08-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Yeah, they prob are bar hopin, the shop is in walking distance of 3 bars.
Another thing is if you own an auto garage how do you not notice a vehicle missing and contact the owner to see if he took it? I never even got a phone call from him apologizing or anything.
I heard through the grapevine that he's been bad mouthing me, saying I'd pick up my vehicle after work was done and he would have to track me down for the money I owed on the work he did. What kind of garage releases a vehicle before it's paid in full? I guess he doesn't know I kept all my previous receipts over the years.
I was kinda thinkin someone from the shop may have taken it for a joy ride, got stuck and panicked and vandalized the truck to make it look like kids or drunks did it.
Seriously what veteran shop owner would leave the keys in something unlocked and outside?

Swinger
08-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Is there any young punks that work there?? It almost sounds to me as if it was a few teens drinking and figured WTF lets screw someone over tonight. The cell is your biggest piece of evidence and that needs to be the first thing gone through! I probably would have gone through it my self and looked for the contact "home" and just went from there! Sometimes you gotta take the law into your own hands cause they may be buzy alot of other stupid stuff people do on a daily basis!!

Tri-Z Pilot
08-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Yeah should-coulda-woulda, at the time I didn't want to screw up any evidence thinking the cops knew they were doing. The cop that started my case is only 26, prob straight outta the academy.
Trust me if I ever find out who is responsible they are gonna have two permanent palm marks on their neck, and be shittin through a size 12 boot. Hell maybe I'll use my old pair of Rebok pumps, just to make sure they get a good exhaust seal, LMFAO!

Tri-Z Pilot
08-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Pics of the carnage

jason85atc250r
08-30-2011, 11:41 AM
that would not be that hard of a fix on your truck just needs new windows and interoir stuff. theres alot of them in the Upullit yards. Should have bought it back. the one in York PA has tons of late 90's chevy's.

sucks that it happened though.

Tri-Z Pilot
08-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey Jason what ya been up to? Haven't seen ya in a couple years.

jason85atc250r
08-30-2011, 12:14 PM
yeah long time no see. Been riding and dealing in toyota truck parts. Justgot a leftover 08 ktm 525 xc quad for $7200 over 3 grand off the price.

It to late now but we could have got your truck fixed for under $1000 by getting the stuff at the upullit places. If you could live with dents. They mite have sold it back to you for a grand or so and give you the rest in cash. i did it with a 4x4 isuzu truck i used to have in the mid 90's had some leftover fixing it myself.

Tri-Z Pilot
08-30-2011, 12:24 PM
My insurance does some auction with the vehicle after they totaled it. I just used the ins check to pay some hospital bills and debt. Figure I can get a decent truck after I take him to court, maybe even a YOTA.

jason85atc250r
08-30-2011, 12:41 PM
they would have done that with my isuzu also but i boughtit back for $300 and fixed it.

atc007
08-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Dam Ty,,that was a beauty!! Really sorry .. You know my .02.. Sue his azz,nail him to the wall.. If HE admitted to LEAVING the keys in it that night. Open and shut,period. Good luck! Good sales day for ya! Awesome!

Tri-Z Pilot
09-04-2011, 01:02 PM
So I'm about ready to take him through the ringer do I just take him to the District Majistrate, or do I get a lawyer and subpoena him?
I'm just not sure how to go about this.

atc007
09-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Get all your ducks in a row. Go to the Magistrate. You will send him a registered letter,,stating that you need reimbursed for the damage you have incurred because of his negligence.You're supposed to put How much you are suing for,,but he's not going to send you the money,,or probably even respond to the letter. So,,You NEED to have your facts ready! Maybe talk w an attorney? But you are entitled to the COMPLETE loss of your truck,,the trouble of NOT having wheels,,unfortunately,,probably NOT the harrassment of the State Police ,and them taking your shoes! But,anything and everything he caused you,,you are entitled too. Actually,,you do this from the Post Office,,lol,,you can check w your DJ 1st,,but it will be the same as here,,you're only a few counties away. After 10 days,,he will not respond,,then the DJ will set a court date for you,,I believe it will cost you $78? It's been awhile. Then you dressup in Your Sunday best suit,showing Total respect for the court. You already knew that. Show up,tell the calm truth,,ESPECIALLY the part where HE left the KEYS in your truck!!! And you win!. BTW,,,,WHEN you send the letter,,,,DO NOT go into details!!! You're just giving him AMMO ,,he'll know your big points and have a defense ready! A good judge will see right thru his lies,,but just state that you will have to sue him if you are not payed for your truck , time and troubles... If you're not comfy with going it alone,,I would think ANY decent lawyer would GRAB this one for 20% maybe, Only getting paid if YOU win.. Good luck!!

oldskool83
09-07-2011, 04:28 PM
holey crap they did a number on that thing. looks like everything can be fixed, lotta ez pulls around here like jason said prob easy fixes but PITA fixes also. hope all goes well maybe get somthing bigger the lil bastards cant climb up in.