PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Honda CB 350 or simmilar?

thefox
10-30-2003, 11:38 AM
This winter I will be partially restoring a 1970 Honda CB 350. Does anyone know anything about these bikes? I know that Honda made a lot of this style of bike and I didn't know if there was something I should look out for. The bike is actually my neighboors but I will be doing the work and getting the parts, he will just be paying for it :-D . We got the bike this summer from a friend who is the original owner. It has been sitting in his basment since he parked it in 1973 with 5,000 miles on it :) . There is some surface rust and pitting but it should clean up well. I am trying to make it look nice, not perfect. Any help would be apreciated.

-Andrew

VABCH350X
10-31-2003, 09:42 PM
I've done a few of those, just take things off and clean 'em up! Make sure you take the carbs apart and do a real good job cleaning everything, check the floats. Gety the rust out of the tank (if there is any). I suggest draining the stale gas and putting in some paint thinner and a large handfull of small washers, and then shake the hell out of it. This usually does a great job (take the washers out later, of course). Then change oil, drop in a new $25 battery, and they usually fire right up. I think that bike had a centrifugal type oil filter, you will need to take it out and clean it. Those old bikes are great to restore, kinda fun to ride around town on too.

thefox
10-31-2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks VABCH350X,
I drained the 30 year old gas this summer, yuck! I found a pair of used carbs. off ebay and put in rebuild kits because the old ones had the throtal butterfly thing stuck and when I tried to remove them one broke. :oops: It looks like there is a little rust in the tank but not too bad so I will try the washer trick. For some reason it is not getting spark but I haven't been able to check that out yet. I have heard that some bikes need the battery it complete the electrical system so could that be it? I didn't even try to charge the battery. I am going crazy not having anything to work on here at college.

-Andrew

TimSr
10-31-2003, 10:46 PM
T I have heard that some bikes need the battery it complete the electrical system so could that be it?

A lot olf the 70's Honda street bikes had to have the battery (with a charge) connected to spark.

VABCH350X
11-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Yup, if the battery doesn't fix it get yourself a VOM or a DMM and a wiring diagram and trace the wire path from the battery to the plug wires. The last one I did had a faulty contact in the kill switch. If you've never done that before, its not difficult, you're just looking for 12VDC in the path when you key the starter. Where ever you lose your voltage at is likely just after the faulty component or short.

Andrew
11-03-2003, 04:32 PM
i had a 1971 CL350(VERY similiar)

thefox
11-25-2003, 01:05 AM
Well I am home for the week so here are some before pics. for you. ;)

-Andrew

TimSr
11-25-2003, 10:19 AM
Nice vintage stuff there! I recently parted out a CL350 and an SL350. I still have a motor bottom end if you ever need one. Apparently its shipping cost exceeds its value!

VABCH350X
12-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Not bad looking man, let me know if you or he ever want to sell it.