PDA

View Full Version : Starting a New Job this Morning

Chazz of Blades
08-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Well, I'm leaving the house in an hour, and driving for about 40 minutes, but I'm starting a new job as a mechanic at a cycle shop in Florence. I'm really excited, I'll be the third person working at this place, it's an ooooooooold shop, I've even spotted some old Hondaline boxes in one far back little nook, I need to check em out. It's a parts store, but primarily a shop instead of vice versa like most new places. This'll be the first time I've actually been paid anything to work on stuff, that'll be nice, and I get everything for parts cost, no overhead!

I'm pretty nervous, being my first real mechanic job, but I'm really looking forward to it as well, just thought I'd share.

just ben
08-16-2011, 08:59 AM
good luck. its always good to get paid for something you enjoy.

bigred44
08-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Congrats and good luck to you. Understandable to be nervous going to a new job. One thing to always remember is dont ever be afraid to ask questions. Better to ask then just assume and screw something up. Let us know how it goes and if there is anything good in those boxes, lol.

Xpress
08-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Yep, don't be afraid to ask questions- within reason that is. And don't forget that everybody messes up, so just try to do everything as carefully as you can, and if you screw up, take what you get then move on ;)

Chazz of Blades
08-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Well, first day went good. Good people, good work, it's a 26 mile(one way) drive though, and I'm paid comission, 50% of all labor charges($55 and hour), when the labor costs are paid though. I'm paid any day that something I've worked on is paid for, working 9-5.

motorhead
08-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Well good luck.

You can make good money on commission, if you are good and there is adequate work coming in. Make sure you check everything before it leaves the shop, you will probably be responsible for any repeat repairs (come-backs).

Vealmonkey
08-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Congrats on the new job, best of luck. And I have 2 words:
Shop Manual
LOL Well, actually seriously...shop manual.

Chazz of Blades
08-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Luckily what I'm working on is mostly air cooled Hondas, so thank goodness for these darn old, ratty trikes breaking down, gets me work! :D

Cleaned the carbs on three quads today, put a new ignition system, battery, and ring terminals on one 110 china bike, cleaned carb, changed oil, spark plug, and did a valve adjustment on another 110, was only getting 30 something PSI on compression. So I recheck the valves, they are fine. Hmm, check everything from base gaksets up,take the little engine out of frame, take the head off, redo the valve adjustment precisely(again), reassemble, head reads 60-70 psi. Hmm, so I do a fluid check on the valves, and the exhaust valve is pouring through like a spring, the intake it still sealed up nicely. So I lap the valve a good bit, still leaks, but not as bad. Lap it a bit more, still leaks, the valve has a bad spot on it that's pretty bad. So I grab a valve out of a spare parts head, lap and assemble it, and it leaks no more. Gonna reassemble everything tomorrow, and if it fires and runs, go ahead and call the customer for pick up.

They also have a '90 QuadRacer 250 sitting there needing a waterpump changed on it, I'm gonna have fun figuring that one out. There's old Honda Elsinore 250 parts there too I might see about sometimes.

just ben
08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
the upside is to get paid for somthing you enjoy the downside is "the carpenters house never gets built" hopefully you will still be able to keep up on your machines. the lt needing a water pump is usually just the seal which the mfg. doesnt normally offer seperate. if the seal isnt torn up there should be a number on it and can be ordered from mcmaster or a well pump dealer. same with the bearing. I got a water pump seal from a pool place once and they had it in stock

Chazz of Blades
08-16-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure if I can keep it, I'm giving it a week to decide. It's 52 mile round trip, probably gonna end up being 6 days a week, at 40%. There's only two mechanics, one being me, and it's not a big shop either, work is steady, but not booming. If I can't even cover gas there's no hope for it. I'm probably getting about 22-25 MPG, so that's........ an average of $7.40 gas for a single days driving, if not more, so that's almost fifty bucks in gas alone in back and forth costs, not counting any other driving that week. And six days a week, which I won't be able to do anyway, at 8 hours a day 9-5, that's 48 hours a week, which at minumum wage, is $348 a week before taxes.

Oh yes, all these figures of pay, are before taxes have been taken out.

I love the job, the people are great, the job is fun, I've learned more today than I have in the last six months, but the overhead cloud looms once more.........

just ben
08-17-2011, 12:59 AM
that sucks you lost 10% of pay in just over an hour. maybe instead of talking yourself out of having a job. promote the shop when possible to bring more money into the shop and your pocket. over head? 50 bucks a week for gas? its guys like you that dont wanna work that I cant find any good help. sorry to be brash but have you noticed the state of our country? you were lucky to get a job

tri again
08-17-2011, 01:58 AM
I had the same kinda deal years ago.
50% of shop rate so I learned how to, not cut corners, but
work faster.

Like the manual for swing bearings on an sx says to take off the tires, disconnect all the cables etc.

NO no no..I left the tires on and didn't have 2 screw with cables and rusty bent adjusters .

Had plenty of room to get the swing bearings and races out and saved myself tons of time.

Shop book time was 'x' hours and I did it in half by saving the extra work but still got paid full book time.

Boss would also 'hold' pay if I had a fat pay period, like an engine or trans rebuild mixed in.

That 'extra' 200 bucks would pop me into the bottom of the next tax bracket
and I'd see like 23$ of that 200...so he'd save a few work orders for the next lean period.

He'd also let me take on jobs independently (at home) that he didn't care to deal with
like say, someone called from your home town, he'd let you just fix it at their house
or your home shop.

ahhh, tricycle house calls, with tools in the little red wagon.

They always said I could have another childhood.

Congrats my friend and good luck with having a fun income stream go your way.

NINJA
08-17-2011, 02:31 AM
Being a fulltime MC/ATV mechanic is a thankless job. You've got to really love it to stick with it. The longer you do it professionally the more you'll make. The trade is saturated by "parts changers" and starved of problem solvers. That is why it's hard to make money at most shops. They've seen plenty of "mechanics" come and go. Your best bet is to get some professional training or work alongside a Master that is willing to teach you. Find a reputable shop that has had the same Master for years and start working there. Most of the time you'll end up starting from the bottom, ie "Lot Tech". That's fine, swallow your pride, you've got your foot in the door. Listen and do. If you mouth off and act like you know more than you actually do, be prepared for another mechanic to find some creative ways to humble you. If you screw up a lot of stuff, you will get fired. That's alright, not everybody is cut out for it. There is a BIG difference between a good hobby mechanic and a professional mechanic.

tri again
08-17-2011, 03:38 AM
I'd present my findings to the owner,
wrong oil, compression readings, quick safety check, cables brake pads etc
he'd call the customer and give them am estimate to fix the main complaint, or
get authorization to get it going AND stop.
..or fix the starter and the customer will do the brakes.
Just watch out for the dreaded 6 hr oil changes.
THEY screw up the drain threads and bring 'em to you for the oil change special
that takes 3 days.

anyway, OPEN communication.
I'd also simply do what he told me, even if I had a different opinion.
NO ego, just work together to get stuff done right.

I secured that first job by saying I'd give my pay back if I screwed up a job.
Luckily never had to.
Or do EXACTLY what the boss says, and it still doesn't fix the prob?
hmmm...offer suggestions in a humble way?

also went to a few construction sites and said I'd work the first day for free...just showed up all ready to go.

One boss handed me a cutting torch and had me cut a 10 foot diameter culvert pipe in half.
He hired me at the end of that day and even paid me for it.
Busy guy, big project...'what can I do now boss?"
He was shocked and delighted to have extra help outta the blue.

That was the old days when lawsuits weren't so common, I guess.
They may thnk yer nuts if you tried that in this day and age...idk

Now, being kinda limited physically,
I filed an LLC with the state for 50 bucks.
Within weeks, I got all kinds of legitimate creditcard offers for businesses.
and prob have 30 grand worth of credit in my company name.
Scared to death to use any of it unless I can DOUBLE my $ in weeks.
like buy a boat motor or trike or truck, rototiller, guitar amp etcetc cheap, fix it and double $$.

Funny thing about biz credit.
If I screw it up, it does NOT affect my personal credit rating and my primary addictions are tax deductible .
tools, tractors, shop repairs, roof heat hot water etc etc.

Yeah, I was working on small airplanes for 10$ an hr and then got that 50% offer from that car
repair shop I described above.

Not sure where I'm going with this but, you get the idea.
Be creative, stay as ethical as possible in the money arena
and make sure it's something that makes you want to jump out of bed on a rainy morning
to go and do.
Invent something!
Someone mentioned a dipstick with a temp gauge in it.

look into alibabba.com.
It's manufacturers reps that list virtually everything ever made..just for ideas.

A pillow that vibrates or dings when you snore?
Pet rock?
Doesn;t have to be rocket science.
Just something people will gladly give you $$ for.

Now it's off to my other support group for people who can't stop talking.

It's called on and on anon.

Chazz of Blades
08-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Well, today went great, changed the front tire, rebuilt the carbs, and changed fluids in a big, honking Suzuki Harley-Replica.

That Quadracer will definantly need a few things, no oil came out the drain, only antifreeze, the plug looked good though, no signs of it burning fluid, so no signs of a cracked head yet, there was no gasket for the clutch side, side cover, no dowel pins, craptons of Silly-Cone, the water pump is bad, and the mechanical seal is probably shot too. It's gonna be $300 something in parts alone.......

Did a couple china quads yesterday, but I have to remount the engine and go over one today to finish it off, and I have more stuff to do.

Oh, and
its guys like you that dont wanna work that I cant find any good help. sorry to be brash but have you noticed the state of our country? you were lucky to get a job

I'd recommend a good, tall glass of shut the Hell up. This is the first job I've had in my almost 8 months of searching, I'm working 6 days a week, 8-10 hours a day, and I'm DAMNED glad I have work, so instead of blaming your problems on someone else that just happens to have a good stroke of luck, why not sit back, and stay quiet, hmm?

Dirtcrasher
08-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I thought if you were wrenching and the person paid, you got 27.5$ an hour or half of the 55$ which is super cheap mechanic work......

Some guys spend a few years learning this stuff, then do it at home and make some great cash $$. Gotta know your stuff though!

just ben
08-17-2011, 10:30 PM
8 months of looking and after one day trying to talk yourself out of it. like I said you really dont wanna work. working 6 days a week? wouldnt today be your second day since you started yesterday? I didnt blame you for any of my problems its just people with your same attitude I start guys at 12-15 an hr cash and have paid guys as much as 25.00 an hr and they still cant seem to show up for work even after searching for work for months so they say. so you can take that tall glass of whatever you say and put it in a good spot. nut up and go to work! done with this but if you feel the need to keep it going pm me and I will give you my number

Chazz of Blades
08-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Uh-huh. It'd be stupid to look at it with rose tinted glasses, and you know that. I'm weighing all the variables, and everything else. What I'm worried about is being able to cover gas, because working commision, I'm not promised a dime a day. If things slow down to a crawl, the senior mechanic is obviously going to get first call, and if I'm wasting gas and not making any cash I have to consider this as well. I'm not trying to talk myself out of this at all, I'd LOVE to make even $8-$9 an hour, or atleast have a retainer every week, but no. How I see it, is a job is like a woman, you really have to weigh the pros and cons of that certain one, and you have to think about the future, whether it be years, or simply weeks. No sense ignoring the possible bad things when it'll come back to bite you in the ass.

Dirtcrasher
08-18-2011, 12:31 AM
I have tenants that made 90K a year a s contractors, they refuse to take anything else......

BUT, I've explained, THERE ARE NO BUILDINGS GOING UP!!, PEOPLE ARE SAVING THEIR CASH!!

These guys still sit home waiting on a call and it's excuse after excuse.

Now it's evict one, then the next. I won't rent to a contractor again but I will rent to a pizza delivery guy............

Ya do what ya have to do!!

bkm
08-18-2011, 08:36 AM
DC, I have a uncle who is a union carpenter and has the same mentality as your tenants. He's been out of work for 2 years because he feels that any job that doesn't pay at least $30hr is beneath him. Well his unemployment is about to run out so we'll see how quick he swallows his pride.

Thorpe
08-18-2011, 09:15 AM
* My quickie tip... Return the machine to the customer clean. I would be livid if my machine came back dirty... (but I dont take them into shops)

I understand the whole making enough to survive... I am working for a hvac shop, and by the time I pay fuel, and daycare, I am working for experience everyday. It sucks, but better jobs require experience, and you gotta start at the bottom. (except today, my kids are sick, and so I am home, and still paying for daycare, so I am working into a hole today) I spent 10 years building custom cars, got laid off for 2 years and went back to school, and now starting the new industry, making almost half of what I did before... Ugh, is it too early to crack a beer? Do whatcha gotta to survive Chazz, nobody in their right mind could condemn you for that....

Chazz of Blades
08-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Well, another problem just popped up. To make any decent money, I would have to dedicate days a week, which added up driving, is 10 hours a day. I CANNOT leave a job unfinished if I have to take a day off, and there's no overtime. So I know I'd HAVE to take every Tuesday off, and half of Thursday for school(college), and if I have to be off Tuesday, I CANNOT have anything unfinished Monday, even if I'm having to wait on something. I can't dedicate the days required, so I don't know if I can schedule everything around that.

God. Freaking. Dammit.

If the place was closer to home, then it'd be alot easier to work with, but being an hour in the OPPOSITE direction from ANYTHING else I have on my plate, I'm not sure. The owner has said though that if I ever can work it out, or if I have a week unscheduled, that he'll gladly put me to work again whenever I can, so that's great. I'm just so damn tired of being so broke I can't go anywhere!!!

TimSr
08-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Around here, when a guy drives 30+ miles to work in a vehicle that gets 20-25 mpg, he buys a $700 Nissan that gets 35mpg. We call 'em "work cars".

Chazz of Blades
08-19-2011, 08:52 PM
I would if I could, neither I, or my family is very well off here lately, and the extra insurance costs, among other things, wouldn't work out too well. And trust me, I have already considered selling my beloved SHO for some cheesy little Japanese car, but I've put so much lovin' care, not to mention maintenance, and new parts into it..........

Now, if I was making better than commission, say $8-10 an hour atleast, maybe a bit more, then it'd be alot easier, but with commission, and the way things have been around here lately, I just couldn't. The economy has taken such a toll around here, alot of mechanic shops are going out of business, there's just not enough to go around.....

xd 200x
08-21-2011, 11:34 AM
So, your job lasted 4 days! You didn't think to talk about this stuff in your interview. This is exactly why I outsource everything to India. I hired interns before just like this guy. It's not hard its all managing outsources and checking their work work. One guy called in sick in his second week. When I asked him what the problem was he said "he had an upset stomach" to which I replied dude you are sitting at a desk all day if you want to bring a bucket bring a bucket. It's like I'm giving people a license to print money at this point and it's not enough. Lazy trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro Americans piss me off. Also if you think its shady for me to hire interns I look at it as they have to do the internship to graduate and I am paying for the credits they would have to pay for anyway.

yooperman
08-21-2011, 12:52 PM
its like a oprah show ya guys crack me up lol. if you aint married just wait then it gets better house notes, kids, utility bills ECT. then you squeeze out every little bit out of the money as you can let me tell ya you can stretch a dollar pretty far. good luck man hope every thing works out for ya

300rman
08-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Around here, when a guy drives 30+ miles to work in a vehicle that gets 20-25 mpg, he buys a $700 Nissan that gets 35mpg. We call 'em "work cars".

Ive thought many times about buying a cheap fuel miser, especially for driving in the winter so I dont destroy my truck. Problem is, insurance is going to cost me another 80/month. And cheap POS cars need parts/tires. Even working on it myself, it would cost me more to get a second car than it would to just keep driving my primary.

Chazz, while I completely understand your predicament, you should have definitely considered all of this before taking the job, and asked the shop owner more questions about scheduling for classes, etc.etc. Every time I start considering getting a real job, after I weigh my options, I don't. I make plenty enough to get by doing what I do now. If I worked double the hours at an entry-level, I still wouldnt make what I make now. So I just stay where I'm at, keeping my head above water while I attend classes.

Chazz of Blades
08-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Well, both the owner and I understood it'd be on kind of a trial basis to see if things would work out. And I got my final schedule after I had already started, times had been rearranged, and it wouldn't work out. Yes I'm frustrated that it won't work out, but it's not like I was telling the owner I'd be there 24/7. And you really think you have the stones to call me lazy? I do SO MUCH FREAKING WORK for tons of local people, for damn free most of the time. I do everything every senior around here can think of, because it's the nice thing to do. It turns out I can't do a full time job with everything else on my plate.

TimSr
08-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Ive thought many times about buying a cheap fuel miser, especially for driving in the winter so I dont destroy my truck. Problem is, insurance is going to cost me another 80/month.

$80 a month for liability only on a secondary vehicle? I noticed you're in Ohio. You want the name and number of my insurance agent? You're getting hosed big time, unless you have a couple DUIs or something. I pay $74 for my 98 Nissan, 93 Ranger, and 85 G30 OTC box truck (separate commercial policy) combined! The is liability only, as its kind of stupid to pay for collision insurance on a $700 or even a $1500 vehicle. Adding a vehicle to an existing policy (liability only) shouldnt cost more than $30.

aldochina
08-21-2011, 11:24 PM
^^agreed^^ i'm in NY, and to add a "commuter" to an existing policy with liability only is peanuts. and as for repairs he did say a $700 Nissan!!
and BKM no need to put union in front of carpenter!! ya, the rate is around 30 or so an hr, but most men will take half that if its what will keep the family afloat!!atleast the ones i know!! i blame obama for extending bennifits for so damn long people get comlacent and lazy!!

300rman
08-22-2011, 01:08 AM
Tim, I'll PM you.

And Chazz, I nowhere implied laziness, just maybe a lack of foresight. Driving that far to work at anything less than a stellar job is rather foolish, IMO.

Chazz of Blades
08-22-2011, 01:24 AM
I realize that now, but after this long, finding a job that takes what I love, mixes in awesome people, great discounts, and everything, I wanted to give it a chance instead of forgetting it immediately.

Mosh
08-22-2011, 11:13 AM
So, your job lasted 4 days! You didn't think to talk about this stuff in your interview. This is exactly why I outsource everything to India. I hired interns before just like this guy. It's not hard its all managing outsources and checking their work work. One guy called in sick in his second week. When I asked him what the problem was he said "he had an upset stomach" to which I replied dude you are sitting at a desk all day if you want to bring a bucket bring a bucket. It's like I'm giving people a license to print money at this point and it's not enough. Lazy trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro Americans piss me off. Also if you think its shady for me to hire interns I look at it as they have to do the internship to graduate and I am paying for the credits they would have to pay for anyway.
I can understand your frustration with lazy people and understand that this country is full of people wanting a free ride.
But what you are doing is part of the problem and not part of our economic solution.
Yeah I know. "Every company is doing it." Well we will see if India will hire americans once there are no jobs left here.
Being a hard working american myself, I generally choose not to spend money with companies or business owners that operate that way you mentioned, if I can avoid it.

timex69
08-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Ive been following this thread for a week or so now and I just had to get my .02 cents in because I dont understand whats wrong. This post isnt directed at anyone just stating how i think things should work. Here is my recession story.

I worked in the Alberta Oil Field as a truck driver/swamper for $30/hr and when the recession hit 30 of us all got our pink slips and I moved back home to the east coast where I was offered a job in a totally different environment at a factory making various folding carton boxes and was taught how to operate a flexo printing press, im basically paid to be a robot.

I drive 15 miles each way to work in a vehicle that gets 12 MPG. I pay $4.49 for a US gallon of fuel and I earn $15.92 per hour and get 48 hours a week on a 2 days/2 nights/4 off shift. I loose roughly $400 per paycheque due to canadian taxation, plus an additional 8% of the remainder goes into an RRSP. I get 2/8 weekends off and half the time I work night shifts.

When i got home to the east coast i realized im making half the money so my nice relatively new truck had to be sold along with my snowmobiles, trikes and other toys I could no longer afford so I could pay for the basic needs, its called priorities.

What im trying to say is when things get tough you take any job you can, live within the means of what the job allows and continue working that job until you find a better one that allows you to up your lifestyle. Unemployment Insurance is not designed to be a long term source or income, just a tie over until you find ANY job. Things like gas, distance to work etc are all unavoidable..you will find that everywhere and have to get used to it.

Good luck in finding decent jobs guys

jordan_muirhead
08-24-2011, 12:54 AM
I can totally understand the gas situation, i was working at a foam factory here in town, got paid 8 bucks an hour, got laid off, applied at many places in the surrounding cities, nothing, luckily i got on at ADC (Arkansas Dept. OF Corrections), and i will be starting my paid training at the academy as of Monday, starts at $13.83 an hour, jumped on that job .....the bad is that my vehicle doesn't get the greatest MPG(1996 ford explorer), not sure what it gets due to broken odometer, it gave up at 266k, we get paid every two weeks, they hold the first check, and i will have to drive 67miles or 1hr 22mns one way twice a day 5 days a week for 6 weeks if i am not allowed to stay in the dorms at the academy, and the unit where i will be working is on the priority B for the dorms, so i most likely will not be able to stay....but...maybe i can figure this all out:wondering

not trying to thread jack, and good luck figuring out that whole job situation Chazz, maybe things will work out somehow, i had to enroll in all online classes at an online college because the prison will be 12 hour shifts that change, so i wouldn't be able to go to college on campus, which i would have to in the college in town because i just graduated high school, and would have to go on campus for certain classes since it will be my first semester, life is :crazy:

The Goat
08-24-2011, 01:57 AM
When the economy took it's second dump I quit my job. Yes. Quit. I was working at the fastest growing dealership in the south and loving the work too.

I didn't love the little douche who was making twice what I was for my work. I told him he had three weeks to get things fixed, or he'd find out that "work" doesn't mean you're there for 60 hours a week, it means you actually are productive in return for your pay. After agreeing to improve work conditions, two weeks in things were the exact same. I said trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro it and left. He got three weeks notice that he didn't deserve... I lost a job I liked.

I haven't taken a single dime of aid, and I won't. Back in school for the first time in a few years, I'm not rejoining the workforce until I have to.

I've got am easy 1200 bucks in bills each month and everything keeps gettin paid. I spent two weeks in Asia in July... And I have 18$ in my checking account, I don't have a care in the world, and I keep doing little things to keep the bills paid. I'll be damned if I'll swallow my pride for anyone. The second you start biting your tongue at work... You need to start evaluating your cost of living. There is no finer feeling than waking up and knowing that you can do whatever you want... Driving an hour to deal with trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro people and gettin paid pennies for it is a thing of the past.

Only thing I can't do right now is buy the new car I want... Oh well... Sacrifices