PDA

View Full Version : New guy in Oregon

dustcleaner
08-21-2011, 02:53 AM
Hello, been lurking for a couple months and figured its time to introduce myself. I live on the Oregon Coast near the Sandlake dunes. I had been dreaming of getting a sand toy such as a 250R quad since I was a kid reading about them in the magazines, and after finding a few 250R trikes while searching craigslist I started researching them and stumbled upon this site. I grew up riding dirt bikes and quads but have little experience with trikes. After poking around here a bit I caught the bug and just had to see what they were all about.

So I went out and bought this 85 ATC 250R from the 2nd owner, who owned it since 1986. It appeared to have spent most of its life as a sand toy, rode hard and put away wet a few times a year. It had a K&N filter, Answer silencer, jetting, DG bars, Maier rear fender, Durablue extended axle, and paddle tires mounted up but was otherwise stock. There was no place to take a test ride but it ran good, the price was right, I had the cash and the trailer, and figured worst case I put it out in the front yard and sell it if I don't like it.

First things first I removed the paddles and swapped on the original (worn out) knobbies, gave it a once over, made some adjustments, and puttered around the yard a bit to see what I got myself into. Let me tell you, as soon as I got the turning technique figured out and started hanging off the side doing powerslides, I was hooked. I used to ride quads the same way so it was an easy transition. Worn out tires in the grass helped a lot to keep the front end down as well as keep me from tipping too much. This thing is a beast!

Obviously, I decided to keep it and started tearing it down for a semi-restoration. Currently working on rebuilding the seized brakes, cleaning out all the sand, and fixing all the little worn out things you find on a bike that's been neglected for 25 years. I've replaced the ancient K&N with a UNI filter and plan on putting the stock silencer back on and re-jetting accordingly so I can get used to the stock power level for now. I also switched around the spacers on the axle so it will actually fit between the rails of my 4x8 trailer. Just waiting on a few parts to show up in the mail so I can get it back together and go for a proper ride.

Eventually I want to rebuild the suspension, get new tires, maybe an ESR pipe and silencer, etc. But for now I just plan on having some fun in the dunes and trail riding in the coast range. If any of you guys live around here I'm looking for some riding buddies.

250rRoostmaster
08-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Welcome aboard!! Looks like you got a pretty decent trike there!! I live close to portland and ride all the time so i'll hit you up when i head over to sand lake or florence!!

falloutboy
08-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Welcome! When you get it back together, bring it down this way and ride some real dunes ;)

Senator
08-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Welcome aboard fellow Oregon Triker!

MonroeMike
08-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the site.

250rRoostmaster
09-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Welcome! When you get it back together, bring it down this way and ride some real dunes ;)

Where are you located?? Near Coos bay perhaps??!!?!?

falloutboy
09-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Where are you located?? Near Coos bay perhaps??!!?!?

Ya, I'm about 20 minutes north of Coos Bay

ceaserthethird
10-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Here in Portland, Keep you posted on a ride !

dustcleaner
10-16-2011, 03:59 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the welcome. I got the 250R together and am quite pleased with the results. I took it up to the Upper Nestucca OHV area for a test ride and had a great time getting the feel for it on the trails and fire roads. One thing I did learn is it does not like to go slow, lol. Had a bit of trouble with it loading up if I puttered around too long, definitely need to work on the jetting.

However this did not stop me from showing the superiority of 3 wheels to some fellow riders. A guy on a Polaris Predator 500 quad broke down on the trail, and his buddy was trying to tow him back to the truck with an old Honda XL350 dirt bike stuck in 3rd gear with a broken shifter. Needless to say this was not working too well for them, so I offered to give him a tow. Hooked the tow strap to the grab bar, eased the clutch out in 1st gear and off we go. It was uphill fire road with water bars most of the way, and it was a constant battle of keeping the front wheel down to maintain steering control and trying to keep it just under the powerband so I don't spray the guy with gravel, yet not bog down so much that it loads up or requires clutch abuse to maintain momentum. We managed to get back to the truck without incident, and they were quite impressed: "That thing's got some good torque for a little 250".

Wish I had stopped to take pics on the trail, but I was having too much fun riding. Here she is all cleaned up in the garage.

250rRoostmaster
10-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Never underestimate the 250 2-stroke!! EVER!!!! Glad you had a good outing and got used to your trike a bit!!

tulsamike3434
10-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Been to boxcar many many times welcome!

dustcleaner
10-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Finally made my first trip to Sandlake this afternoon, don't know why I waited so long! We had an unusually warm day today, 70+ degrees, sunny and clear in mid-October doesn't happen too often around here. The place was practically deserted, only a handful of other riders. I headed out on the knobbies for a while to get a feel for things, had a blast sliding around doing cookies and running flat out across the dunes. Didn't seem to have much trouble getting around, but I avoided any steep hills.

133723 133722

Took a break and mounted the 8-paddle Haulers and it was a whole different story. Much harder to turn or slide, but unstoppable on the hills! Now I have to be careful about accelerating in the lower gears, these things hook! Unfortunately it changed the handling so much, it became more of a point and shoot experience and I found myself wishing I could steer with the throttle more. I rode until sunset, plus a little more, and left totally exhausted. Can't wait to do it again!

133724 133725

250rRoostmaster
10-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Now that you got your feet wet with sandlake, it's time for coos bay!!!!!! You will love the dunes out there and it's about 20X bigger than the little sandbowl!!! It's a fun place for a day trip tho!!! Next year we should all try and hook up and get a big ride goin!!

Just-Tri-It
10-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Welcome aboard. Haven't been to Oregon but I bought a LRD exhaust from a guy in Oregon, a Tri-z from a guy in Reeds Port and another Z from a guy in southern Oregon. Glad you got the fever! Good choice too for starting in three wheeling. But when you get ready to do some serious riding you'll have to upgrade to a "Z". A Tri-z is like a honda 250R....but without the training wheels!
There's a lot of good guys on board and a wealth of information and help.