PDA

View Full Version : CHANGE IN STOCK 250 2 Stroke CLASS Drag rules!!!!

Xowner
08-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Next year a stock airbox with a lid and stock carb will be required to run in the stock class no exceptions. The air box if found with holes in it will bump you to mod class. This Gives you guys plenty of time to get what you need to be legal. More rule changes may follow and will be updated in this thread.

Billy Golightly
08-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Also, just an FYI, this isn't negotiable.

You wanna run the stock class, get an airbox, lid, and carb sourced and dialed to use at TF or you'll be racing in the modified class :)

FastZ28
08-23-2011, 02:03 AM
Just for clarification, does this mean an 85 250r has to have the stock PE34 round slide, or would a PJ34 flat slide from an 86 250r be allowed? Just curious.

zmpolaristech
08-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Wow...This will make things MUCH more interesting...WOW!!

Tecate 50
08-23-2011, 02:16 PM
So throw out the double elimination due to time restraints but yet, lets measure the intake side of the so called stock carb for everyone. Where will this end, and who's idea does this inspire from......yours truly "Doom" the Open class champ with a 256 cc screw. This will be interesting, I guess the guys with 86-87 T-3's are just screwed. Good luck finding that set up. I will be watching for modified air lids.....hope this goes fair.

zmpolaristech
08-23-2011, 03:11 PM
OK, I have SO many questions and needed clarifications here, such as:

1) Stock means STOCK...Right? as in, the EXACT same carb that came on your YEAR and MAKE of bike? (to cover FastZ28's question)
2) Will mod class still include the stretched big bores? As this new rule is no doubt going to put alot of stock length 250s into mod class, only to get eaten up by much bigger bikes.
3) Aftermarket pipes, heads, intakes, porting, and K&N's are all still legal?
4) What is the fuel octaine maximum for stock class? and mod class? (I know it is probably the same, but I don't remember...I would have to reccomend no alcohol/methanol in mod class, if that's not already a rule.)
5) ...more later. thanx boys!

Billy Golightly
08-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Stock, as originally equipped. So yes, 85 250Rs have round slides. 86 Oval slide PJ's. We aren't measuring carbs. If someone wants to take a 34mm carb and bore it to 39mm and have air escaping the sides of the slide because it isn't wide enough, be my guest.

All other rules are still in effect for the stock class (as of this time, we might tweak things further but we will give you adequate time to adjust).

For clarification, pump gas only is all that has ever been allowed in the stock class. This is hard to enforce but we all know what race gas smells like...
Aftermarket pipes are allowed in the stock class as long as they are ran in OEM configuration (Ie, no out of frame drag pipes)

People have talked about building bikes around classes before, heres your chance :) Think of this basically as a restrictor plate class like there is in stock car racing. It'll make it more interested in my opinion from a spectator point of view to see what the riders and builders can do with that hurdle to overcome.

Xowner
08-24-2011, 05:25 PM
So throw out the double elimination due to time restraints but yet, lets measure the intake side of the so called stock carb for everyone. Where will this end, and who's idea does this inspire from......yours truly "Doom" the Open class champ with a 256 cc screw. This will be interesting, I guess the guys with 86-87 T-3's are just screwed. Good luck finding that set up. I will be watching for modified air lids.....hope this goes fair.

Yes it will be fair, All bikes going threw tec for the stock class will be ask to pull up next to the water hose With the bike running where we will shoot water around the air filter box and the lid to see if there are any holes.

The carbs will be checked from the outside, as billy mentioned your not gonna get much from boring stock carbs out.

We are talking about doing double elmins but its just talk for now as we had just enough people to run singles, let alone trying to run two brackets at once.

We welcome any comments complaints and god forbid praises that you guys have.

tecat-z
08-24-2011, 08:33 PM
I think i'll respectfully take a pass on someone spraying the garden hose on my bike, while my engine is running. That wash area is a hog wallow.......YUCK!!!!!!!!
Double E's are a must. Considering how well things went this summer, it should be of fairly high priority.

Xowner
08-24-2011, 08:45 PM
I think i'll respectfully take a pass on someone spraying the garden hose on my bike, while my engine engine running thing. That wash area is a hog wallow.......YUCK!!!!!!!!
Double E's are a must. Considering how well things went this summer, it should be of fairly high priority.

Hose was a joke ed.

Billy Golightly
08-24-2011, 08:50 PM
I would like to see double eliminations (In atleast 1 class) but I want to be 100% confident it can be pulled off. I don't want to let the success of this year cloud our judgment and bite off more than we can chew :p

3Razors
08-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Can't see how removing the stock airbox lid is a no-no but an aftermarket exhaust system is good to go?! Thats like robbing peter to try and pay paul. One compliments the other. Stock airbox I can understand as many stock airboxes without the lid will usually provide the same amount of power (sometimes more depending on the engine) as just a clamp on filter, but no removal of the lid is farfetched.

Goodluck for the people with Tri-Z's and 84-85 Tecate as those airbox designs are handicapped. Shoot, even the ama back in the 80's and now let the teams do whatever they want with the airboxes in the 250cc class.

jadleybray
08-25-2011, 01:40 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/content.php?306-Trikefest-2011-Drag-racing-classes-and-rules

So, tell me if I got this right. "Any internal engine modifications allowed. 2 strokes are allowed to run aftermarket/non OEM cylinder heads." No CC limit in the stock class D division? If you can port and polish, bore cylinder, why wouldn't you bore the carb as much as possible? Cool head w/interchangeable dome is kosher too?

zmpolaristech
08-25-2011, 03:01 PM
I pulled this from ^ his ^ link. I figured it would be good to have in this thread for reference. After reading through these, I would have to recomend that stock class be on stock swingarms!It only makes sense. Whats the sense of regulating the carbs in stock class, but you can run a +4.....

2 -Stock.
-Trikes only
-exhaust, must be ran in the way manufacture of your machine designed it.
(aftermarket pipes are allowed if ran in this manor)( No out of frames)
- frame must be to factory spec. (no frame mod's)
- Engine must be the original, OEM equipped one. No aftermarket or different then originally equipped cylinders for 2 strokes or 4 strokes.
Any internal engine modifications allowed. 2 strokes are allowed to run aftermarket/non OEM cylinder heads. 4 strokes are not.
-No hybrids, conversions or engine swaps. Machine must be an original OEM three-wheeler.
-swing arm's, can be stock length or up to +4" extended ( will be approved by a tec)
- Gas, must be on pump gas (no more than 98 octane) Aftermarket carbs, clamp-on airfilters, etc all allowed.
No race fuel or oxygenated fuels! (This will be given the smell test, if you fail your going to the modified class, sorry!)
- tires, stock or aftermarket... No studs!
-No wheelie bars
-aftermarket axle's OK
-we will try to pair up same bikes in the first round,or close too. 250r v.s. tri z ,,200x v.s. 200x
-ALSO, --NEW FOR 2011-- Highly modified mini's with larger displacement engines (150cc piranha engines in ATC70s, etc) will be ran in the class most appropriate for their CURRENT engine displacement. This means unless your over 174cc you will run in the 49-174cc Stock class. I understand this isn't an ideal situation but I do not believe there to be enough entrants to make a whole new class at this time. Perhaps next year.

3. Modified class.
-OEM trikes only
- any bike that has been modified Carb,bore,aftermarket cylinders,Big bores,long rods. NO engine swaps, or hybrids.
-swing arms, can be any length.
-wheelie bars, you can run a wheelie bar
-NO ALKY or NITROUS
-exhaust,pipe in or out of frame ok
-Studs permitted,must be ice screws,No picks,bolt tires,ect,atv use only.
-Basically created for the powervalved,big bore..300,310,330, stroker,ect.
-If you don't think you have what it takes to run with the big dogs in the open class..this is for you.
********At tec's discretion, if your bike don't fit the requirements of the class, you may be bumped to the open class in the interest of fairness to other competitors

4.open class.
- Trikes only
-All motorcycle or alternately based/customized machines.
-drag pipes or any custom. ok
-hybrid,conversions..ok
-swing arm, any length
-wheelie bars,ok, please use best judgment on building these. any loose bars will be asked to
tighten them up,before running. there for helping you not flip,not causing you to flip.
-fuel, Any fuel,race gas,alcohol,Nitrous oxide, all ok
-Tires,any tires
-studs, ok must be for atv use, (Ice screws),no picks

Xowner
08-25-2011, 03:26 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/content.php?306-Trikefest-2011-Drag-racing-classes-and-rules

So, tell me if I got this right. "Any internal engine modifications allowed. 2 strokes are allowed to run aftermarket/non OEM cylinder heads." No CC limit in the stock class D division? If you can port and polish, bore cylinder, why wouldn't you bore the carb as much as possible? Cool head w/interchangeable dome is kosher too?

Hold tight there is gonna be another update soon, Just wanted people that needed to get airbox's the early start.

Xowner
08-25-2011, 03:29 PM
I pulled this from ^ his ^ link. I figured it would be good to have in this thread for reference. After reading through these, I would have to recomend that stock class be on stock swingarms!It only makes sense. Whats the sense of regulating the carbs in stock class, but you can run a +4.....

We have talked about this a lot The only reason we have left this is because of some what of a safty thing. (we do care about you guys) People that have gotten use to there plus 4's we dont need them at the starting line on a stock arm killing them selfs at the start. Few people said even allowed to run a +4 would rather run a stock arm because they hook better. We will take this into consideration.

zmpolaristech
08-25-2011, 03:56 PM
I know my stock lenth 250 was as fast, if not faster than alot of the stretched bikes, and some big bores. I think the way this class is heading, it should be stock length swingers only! IMO. I mean, by regulating carb size, you are making it more of a RIDERS class anyway. So why not put everyone on a stock length swinger and make it even MORE of a riders class... Instead of having guys w/+4s that can just dump the clutch and hang on... it takes some skill to get a short bike off the line quickly...just sayin.

Xowner
08-25-2011, 04:08 PM
I know my stock lenth 250 was as fast, if not faster than alot of the stretched bikes, and some big bores. I think the way this class is heading, it should be stock length swingers only! IMO. I mean, by regulating carb size, you are making it more of a RIDERS class anyway. So why not put everyone on a stock length swinger and make it even MORE of a riders class... Instead of having guys w/+4s that can just dump the clutch and hang on... it takes some skill to get a short bike off the line quickly...just sayin.

Well said and I will bring it up at the next 3ww meeting........

Xowner
08-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Stock class 250cc rules

Trikes only
1) Exhaust Can be aftermarket or Oem, No outta frame pipes must be inframe
2) Frame must be factory spec. No frame mods
3) Engine must be original, NO Diffrent cylinder swaps Must be OEM. Machine must also have original OEM Cylinder Heads ( No 300r big bore kits, Kx swaps , no triz power valves or any other stuff)
4) No Hybrids, conversions or engine swaps
5) MUST RUN STOCK CARB AND AIR BOX WITH NO EXTRA HOLES AND OR VENTS!
6) Wheel base can be no more than 4 inches longer then stock. Distance will be measured fron front axle center to rear axle center
7) MUST HAVE PUMP GAS! Nothing over 98 octane (RACE GAS WILL GET YOU DQ'ed!)
8) Tires Stock or Aftermarket NO STUDS!!!!!!
9) No WHEELIE BARS!!!!
10) Aftermarket Axles are fine!!!!

Jason Hall
08-25-2011, 07:21 PM
How will you tell If a T3 has a KX cylinder? Will these guys be willing to pull their pipe when all Is done to see If they have a bridged exhaust port? IMO the KX cylinder Is equivalent to a small bore Pro-X cylinder on a 250R! I kinda like the Idea of a stock length swinger for the stock class also.

zmpolaristech
08-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Yes!!! Stock length swinger!!!!:naughty: Lets hear it:Bounce

3Razors
08-25-2011, 08:57 PM
What about the guy with a 81-82 250R and stock swingarm, ever dumped the clutch from a stop on one of those?! Get ready to be on your back, haha.

rray62
08-25-2011, 09:22 PM
I know mine qualifies for the class, might have to give it a try next year

bkm
08-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Internal engine modifications? Bore & stroke? Porting? Head mods?

You can make one hell of a stock barreled liquid R engine and from the outside no one will be none the wiser. You could be in the 270cc+ range if you wanted without a resleeve and even more with a stroker crank and sleve job and from the outside no one could tell.

I think if you are going to have a "Stock" class it should be stock pipe, swinger, and a specific overbore for each brand of engine. Just my .02

Mosh
08-26-2011, 07:40 AM
IMHO. Swinger Plus 2 max...Alot of Westcoast R,s out there... Or a general overall wheel base length. Not all trikes were created with the same wheel base.
Say a 81 R may need a plus 5 just to equal a plus 2 Z, or T-3 (Limit every machine to 60 inches..Just a generic figure for instance..)

Factory airbox Open anyway you want. After 5 practice runs, most filters are coated with dust and efficiency is decreased anyway.

Billy Golightly
08-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Internal engine modifications? Bore & stroke? Porting? Head mods?

You can make one hell of a stock barreled liquid R engine and from the outside no one will be none the wiser. You could be in the 270cc+ range if you wanted without a resleeve and even more with a stroker crank and sleve job and from the outside no one could tell.

I think if you are going to have a "Stock" class it should be stock pipe, swinger, and a specific overbore for each brand of engine. Just my .02

There is no way for us to check and enforce engine bore or crankshaft stroke in engines. This is an amateur drag racing event and our intent is to make the classes easily identifiable and classify them by visual inspection. We talked about making things subject to tear down this year(2011) and people more or less flipped out so this is the alternative to that. And yes, I agree a stock motor can be built pretty hot but then your limited by the stock carb and airbox.

zmpolaristech
08-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I like Mosh's idea of a wheelbase rule, with some revision... How about we find the LONGEST STOCK WHEELBASED trike, add 1 inch to that length (for variations such as carrier location for chain tension), and make that our stock class WHEELBASE RULE. I would guess it to end up around 54-56 inches. That would give the option for the early Rs and tecates to still run a longer swinger, but would keep the Tri-zs, Rs, And late tecates in check. Everyone would be on the same page then. So, What do you guys think?

bkm
08-26-2011, 12:24 PM
There is no way for us to check and enforce engine bore or crankshaft stroke in engines. This is an amateur drag racing event and our intent is to make the classes easily identifiable and classify them by visual inspection. We talked about making things subject to tear down this year(2011) and people more or less flipped out so this is the alternative to that. And yes, I agree a stock motor can be built pretty hot but then your limited by the stock carb and airbox.

I agree 100%, but you know how some guys are, they will spend $2000 to win $100. Its all about ego. I think that is why the stock pipe is a good idea(maybe an aftermarket silencer because the old stocker can be so gummed up and nasty). I think you guys are doing a great job in trying to maintain a competitive class while still remaining fun for the average racer. I am just afraid there will be that guy, and we all know one, that will just get stupid crazy just so he can say he's got the biggest pecker.

Flossyb20
08-26-2011, 01:16 PM
I like Mosh's idea of a wheelbase rule, with some revision... How about we find the LONGEST STOCK WHEELBASED trike, add 1 inch to that length (for variations such as carrier location for chain tension), and make that our stock class WHEELBASE RULE. I would guess it to end up around 54-56 inches. That would give the option for the early Rs and tecates to still run a longer swinger, but would keep the Tri-zs, Rs, And late tecates in check. Everyone would be on the same page then. So, What do you guys think?

Best idea...fair for everyone, and well within the spirit of the class...it should make this class very exciting.

dcreel
08-26-2011, 02:09 PM
IMHO. Swinger Plus 2 max...Alot of Westcoast R,s out there... Or a general overall wheel base length. Not all trikes were created with the same wheel base.
Say a 81 R may need a plus 5 just to equal a plus 2 Z, or T-3 (Limit every machine to 60 inches..Just a generic figure for instance..)

This.. My 84 Tecate with a +2 Westcoast has a shorter wheelbase than my stock swingarm'd 86 250r. I'd hate to try and launch a stock swingered 84-85 Tecate.. lol

MIK6
08-26-2011, 03:30 PM
MAN... I just hope no one changes the 12oz class rules.. LMAO

This is the 1st year i have ran my Tecate.. I had a blast, the guys that stepped up to run the event did an awesome job!! This is their show this year again, lets have the rules and run w/ what THEY have decided will make their job easier to inspect and run the event..

I have been to all the TRIKEFESTS held so far.. Ive seen it grow from 13 guys camping together and 1 guy cooking for everyone to what it has become..

No one gets paid for this, its a volunteer only kind of thing.. I'm sure the guys running would love some help w/ it.. i have said from the 1st year we organized events the best way to become a volunteer is to complain about the past years event.. EVERY rule can be arguied, every decision can be speculated on..

This is TRIKEFEST... its about riding trikes w/ FRIENDS!! Lets have fun, ride the events and continue to prove that trikes RULE

SEE YA AT TF12
MIK6 / Mike

Howdy
08-28-2011, 10:59 PM
I agree with Mik6!!

I also want to add: If you "Think" you can do better then step up take charge and run that part of the show!! You can deal with all the complaints about this or that. It will never be perfect to everyone at the same time and be fun.

There will be rule changes made year after year. Some good and some not so good, but it is all done for the greater good of Future Trikefest and our comunity as a whole.

Howdy

tecat-z
08-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Since there will obviously be many more bikes in the "modified class due to class re-structuring. May i suggest that to have a more active "open class". That anyone that sees a need to run an out frame pipe on a 2stroke, or a swingarm length in excess of 6" be automatically advanced to that class. My definition of a modified machine includes one that can still be used in a normal and routine way, but with a strong emphasis on engine performance. Any machine that is thought to need longer than a 6", and require an outframe pipe to achieve ones goal, seriously compromises the do it all nature of a strong running yet somewhat trail friendly 3wheeler. "open class machines are designed to do one thing well. Go fast in a straight line. With the builder knowing that either of those modifications comes with compromise. The proposed rule changes of the "stock class can't go forward, without regard given to the classes in front of it. I would be fine with modified suspension components as well. Such as inverts, and aftermarket rear links, shocks and components. However, changes in the frames geometry as in steering angle, sub-frame relocation and alterations should be considered NON REVERSIBLE, and an automatic bump up. These types of changes to the frame require a lot of talent, and a builder knowing the the perceived advantages of doing so. Just a few of my thoughts...........

atc400x
09-02-2011, 08:58 PM
well i think we are going in the right direction here. i can tell you internal engine mods such as big bores and strockers are realy limited by the stock carb and air box. these componats were olny designed to flow so much air. i say do what you want inside the engine but stock on the out side is what counts. we need this to be fair i know we all like to win but we have to think about the stock machines and quit beating them up in there classes and alow them to have a chance. after all this is just for fun. you have to admit these guys are doing a fine job and hey these rule changes are coming out way eariler than ever before so lets build these bikes to the rules and have fun at tf 2012.

hadar
03-30-2012, 05:17 PM
I have a few questions regarding the new stock class rules.

I understand stock jug and airbox. Does it have to have a stock swinger? If not what is the max length?

Also do these changes this apply to the 350x class?

zmpolaristech
03-30-2012, 06:37 PM
I have a few questions regarding the new stock class rules.

I understand stock jug and airbox. Does it have to have a stock swinger? If not what is the max length?

Also do these changes this apply to the 350x class?

Stock jug, air box, CARB AND HEAD...2-stroke stock!
You can have up to a +4 in swinger in stock class:rolleyes:....for some reason :wondering
I don't THINK this applies to 350x.